R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Hey at least he'll always be known as the "first" person to be on a 179, even as the yard master, line Superintendent, property protection and corporate communications watch his video and decide what to do with him. Bombardier may also take issue with unauthorized employees screwing around on equipment that hasn't even been signed over, especially considering the history of this order. But hey, no matter what happens, he can still brag that he was the "FIRST" one to video the interior of a brand new 179 and that's worth more than 35 years of MTA checks and an pension ever could be.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey at least he'll always be known as the "first" person to be on a 179, even as the yard master, line Superintendent, property protection and corporate communications watch his video and decide what to do with him. Bombardier may also take issue with unauthorized employees screwing around on equipment that hasn't even been signed over, especially considering the history of this order. But hey, no matter what happens, he can still brag that he was the "FIRST" one to video the interior of a brand new 179 and that's worth more than 35 years of MTA checks and an pension ever could be.

In this age of technology, someone can record whatever they want and get away with it.

Apparently the video shooter has some big words on the subject:

https://s13.postimg.org/pco0hw9av/20160912_094657.png

The reason for the 32s on the B is mileage.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Who says the R32's will go to the B?  Dispel that rumor, NOW! The R32/42 is permanently banned from the Montague tube due to clearance issues. 

The R32's are not going to any line that goes near the Montague tube.  Suppose a Manhattan/Bronx bound B is past Prospect Park, at 7th Ave., Barclays, or before the switch that separates the bridge side to the tunnel side, and there is a problem on the Manhattan Bridge that suspends service on both the Broadway and Sixth Ave. sides? What happens now when all service has to go thru the Montague?  And those with poor reading comprehension don't tell me turn at Prospect Park because the train already left there!  You can't turn at Lawrence because you'll delay service even more and you already have severe overcrowding because of the delay and rerouted passengers. 

Therefore NYCT will not put them into such a position.  R32's to the B is a foamers' fantasy!  IT'S NOT HAPPENING!

Didn't someone say that employees where allowed to view the train earlier?

If personnel in the yard did give him permission to film, is it still a problem?

I'm not familiar with the rules regarding towards MTA employees

it doesn't matter even if the head supt of the yard gave him "permission" to film the train and post the footage in public. None of the people up there have the discretion to do that. I doubt that bombardier and Corp com were the ones who gave him "permission" to go inside the car and film it

Edited by RFWLover

Who says the R32's will go to the B? Dispel that rumor, NOW! The R32/42 is permanently banned from the Montague tube due to clearance issues.

The R32's are not going to any line that goes near the Montague tube. Suppose a Manhattan/Bronx bound B is past Prospect Park, at 7th Ave., Barclays, or before the switch that separates the bridge side to the tunnel side, and there is a problem on the Manhattan Bridge that suspends service on both the Broadway and Sixth Ave. sides? What happens now when all service has to go thru the Montague? And those with poor reading comprehension don't tell me turn at Prospect Park because the train already left there! You can't turn at Lawrence because you'll delay service even more and you already have severe overcrowding because of the delay and rerouted passengers.

Therefore NYCT will not put them into such a position. R32's to the B is a foamers' fantasy! IT'S NOT HAPPENING!

Whoa! Calm it. I wasnt the one who said "rumor is" i stated a reason that would happen. So dont bark up the wrong tree. Youre barking at me when someone else mentioned this and half of RTO is going around saying this as well? I gave a reason why it could happen. I didnt say "its happening". Did i have to add a disclaimer? Fine. Here it goes: :IF the 32s go to the B it would be for mileage.

Better??

Realistically, would the (MTA) consider moving the cables that are causing clearance issues? If not, then I do not see why people are suggesting R32s will go to the (B). (The (B) is my home line and I would love to see them there, but we have to be realistic here.)

When do they ever send the Bravo up broadway during blocks anyway? They suspend them. When i worked the B and a huge problem came up. We usually got discharged and ran light back the other way or sat there. It happens. But this isnt about B.

When the (B) is suspended, do you really think that the trains which already left the terminal just disappear into a poof of air?

I've heard that the Montague tunnel clearance issues are being worked on, and the restriction will eventually be lifted, but as of now no 32, 42 or museum equipment is permitted in there, nor is any 75 ft equipment permitted on BJ1&2 of the Chrystie Cut or anywhere between Broad & lower level of Jamaica Center or the Canarsie Line.

And unless this interior filmer received permission from management at Bombardier or the TSS's in charge of this delivery to go on board and start touching buttons and switches in the cab, he's putting not only his own career at risk, but whomever DID give him permission as well (and I can guarantee that NOBODY gave him permission to put that video on public youtube). It is also stated in the NYCT rulebook (which ALL employees, regardless of title, must follow) which states that track access is permitted ONLY when in the course of your duties and if a safe alternate path can't be provided. A signal helper has no business walking in 207 yard on the tracks unless he is working on a signal or switch within the yard.

Edited by Snowblock

When the (B) is suspended, do you really think that the trains which already left the terminal just disappear into a poof of air?

Did you read my whole post? You know i use to be a C/R right? Did i not post what happened once when i worked the B? Ofcourse i know they just dont go poof!

Jesus Christ!

Okay, folks we get that currently the R32s can't appear on the (B) at the moment, and we also get that RTO is giving it consideration and may fix the issue with Montague. Can we move on please?

Yes please. Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

Two things and I will only say this once:

1) Enough with the video. We get it; the person who took this video and uploaded it is in the wrong. The several pages of circle-jerking the issue were not necessary. If I had known the reaction here and the illegality of the filming, I would not have posted this in the first place.

2) Speculation on the car assignments is fine. Attacking others for offering their opinion is not. By now, we should know how the rumor mill works around here. Several people can refer to and quote from their various sources, who are saying wildly different things. We should also know that until the cars are in service, these projected car assignments can and likely will change. Looking at previous examples, in 2001, we were sure the 142s were heading for the (3) and in 2006, we were just as sure the 160s were bound for the (A). Right now, the only thing we know for sure is that the 179s are finally arriving and that they may displace the 32s and 42s elsewhere. Besides that, everything else is open game. Take solace in the fact that, after so many delays and false starts, the 179s are finally making their way onto Transit property.

Also, it's nice to hear that Transit is remedying the clearance issues in the Montague tubes, if not for anything else, than to remove a potential barrier in the event of an emergency reroute.

Please don't make me have to lock this thread.

I'm hearing both of those as well, but more are leaning to the (C) getting the 160s along with the 179s mainly for the (L), the (J) getting the 143s, and the 32/42s going somewhere else.

Either way, someone getting new trains.

From my view which means absolutely nothing it would make sense based on how the MTA is more organized meaning specific trainsets assigned to yards rather than a variety. I mean why not give the (J)/(Z) the 179's and the (C) keep the 160's, then again it could work the same vice versa but the view I'm looking at is the new cars are CBTC compatible but they're not installed. They're like the R-142A's Supplement sets of 7731-7810 which have the CBTC which have been on the (4) from the start. Those 179's can be on the (L) with the CBTC pending on installation bumping off the "odd balls" of 160's that would be exclusively for the Jamaica lines J/M/Z which would mean the 179's would be on the (C) exclusively while Fresh Pond & ENY holds down all 160's.

I expect all the 42's to be retired with many R-32s but some will stick around for service for quite longer.

Totally agreed with you someone somewhere is getting new trains. But nothing is set in stone.

Edited by 2 Train Master

img_40357.jpg

One of the classic Steve Zabel shots: his personal BMT signbox swapped in, with the old in-service box sitting on the platform after he popped the thing out for photos. Same guy who swapped a 1968-colors IRT roll box onto the Franklin shuttle just to put up an orange number 7. 

Point is, people have been pushing around with the rules of Transit for photos and videos for decades. Nobody ever said it was right, but nobody ever said there was reason to report somebody and end a career over it either. Long legacy of this kind of thing in the community, not going to endorse it but that's how it always went. 

Looking forward to seeing everything hit service. If the TA decides there is a need to modify Montague, it will do so. We'll all just wait and see.

Edited by MHV9218