R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did everyone just miss the point of Lance's post entirely?

Just because someone posted that the cars would run on line X, doesn't mean that is actually going to happen. Plans change. They may end up going to the 8th Avenue or Jamaica lines, or they might not. Until they're actually out in service, there's no 100% guarantee that the cars will go to these lines.

Did everyone just miss the point of Lance's post entirely?

Just because someone posted that the cars would run on line X, doesn't mean that is actually going to happen. Plans change. They may end up going to the 8th Avenue or Jamaica lines, or they might not. Until they're actually out in service, there's no 100% guarantee that the cars will go to these lines.

I bet they will go on the  (JFK) .

Here are the options I could think of:

R179 4-Cars

1. The R179 4-Cars mostly go to the (C), and the R160As on that route would go to the (J). Some R179s would also go to the (J)(Z) based on how many R32s/R42s are retired. These cars could also go on the (M) as it also operates out of ENY.

2. The R179 4-Cars go to the (L), and the R160s on the (J)(L) go to the (C), and the R143s go onto the (J).

3. The R179 4-Cars go to the (C) and (L) and the (J)(M)(Z) are entirely R160.

3. For the Canarsie Tunnel shutdown, many R179s might go into use on the (M) and (G) for 8-car trains.

R179 5-Cars

1. The R179 5-Cars go to the (A) and some R46s go to Jamaica Yard, and some R160s go to CIY for the (Q) extension to 96th Street.

2. The R179 5-Cars go to Jamaica Yard, some R46s are transferred to CIY.

3. They might go to the (Q) directly.

R32s

If the Montague Tunnel situation isn't fixed, then these are the options.

Jamaica Yard would not work as CBTC is being installed.

Coney Island Yard would only work if they would go on the (G) for 8-car trains during the Canarsie Tunnel shutdown.

They could stay on the (C), and some of the R179s/R160s could go on the (J)(Z) for additional service during the Canarsie Tunnel shutdown.

There are probably many other options I haven't thought of.

Where did you get they are CBTC-equipped?

Best of my understanding the R-179 will NOT be operationally compatible with the R-160's; certainly not the CBTC-equipped ones as they provide for, but do not have, CBTC equipment.

Reread the above quote.

The R-179's are most definitely N-O-T, NOT equipped with CBTC, but have provision for later installation.

One of the R-179's acceptance milestones is compatibility for CBTC, as in cabinet space and (presumably) electrical provisions.  The R-160's were the same way. 

Actual CBTC installation would be in-house after a pilot program, way down the road when the Queens Blvd./8th Avenue (3rd Gen) system is finalized.  8313-16 and 8377-80 have been the guinea pigs for this project since some time in 2014. 

As for the earlier posts from today regarding that video, all I can say is that this is definetly a case of ego ("I was the first person in the R179, look at me!!") getting in the way of one's career, just as its getting started. Not a good idea.

For those who would like to work for the MTA in the future, take this as a lesson in what not to do once you start working..

^^^

This applies not only for the MTA but for any company you work for. I work at a big tech company and if I pulled sh*t like that it would take exactly 0.1 seconds for it to spread like wildfire and 0.2 seconds for me to get termination papers from HR.... 

As for the R179s, excuse my ignorance on this subject matter, but why did the MTA decide to keep the (C) to 8 cars? Why not order more cars and make the (C) 10 cars?

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

^^^

This applies not only for the MTA but for any company you work for. I work at a big tech company and if I pulled sh*t like that it would take exactly 0.1 seconds for it to spread like wildfire and 0.2 seconds for me to get termination papers from HR.... 

As for the R179s, excuse my ignorance on this subject matter, but why did the MTA decide to keep the (C) to 8 cars? Why not order more cars and make the (C) 10 cars?

They don't have the finances to do so and the C line meets their loading guidelines. You can check out their explanation in more detail here

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/AC_LineReview.pdf

And I agree with you and everyone else, what a foolish mistake on that guys part.

^^^

C retains 8-car, 60-foot trains because the Inspection & Maintenance portion of the 207th Street facility was opened in 1932 and can only handle 8 cars per track, not 10.  That means the shop has half the pit space it would need to maintain individual 5-car sets.  This can make for interesting equipment juggling when the R-46's (and formerly R-44's) need to visit the wheel truing machine inside, as one 4-car (75-foot) link hangs out the door as it moves through.  The 75-footers used on C for the Summer Swaps (2010-14) were still based at Pitkin.  Back when the TA tried to run "newer" SMEE's (R-40, 40M, 42) on C in 2008-09, they discovered platform positioning problems with how the "punches" along the way.  That's why those 8-car trains used the 10-car stops before management gave up and put the R-32's (and then also R-38's) back after just one month.

Effective September 12, 2016

Good morning ladies and gentleman! We have some updates on the R179 project, and firm assignments as well.

The MTA has officially confirmed that they will retire ALL 222 R32's, and all 50 R42's with this order (As I originally stated in 2011). The rumors of them staying around are not true. Some of the trains will only stick around for reserve storage. As the last of the R179's are delivered, MTA will move forward with the shutdown of the L line, shifting all those cars to the (C), (J), (M) and (Z) lines, or as needed. Once the (L) shuts down there will no longer be a need for R32's or 42's as the R179 order wraps up, and the R211 order begins immediately behind it.

The official assignments for the R179's will be the (A), (C), (J), (M), and (Z) lines.

There is no clear timetable for retirement of all the old cars. By the time the (L) is back up an running, the R211's should have started to arrive if everything stays on schedule. 

The next 5 test cars are scheduled to be delivered in 3-4 weeks. Testing of the completed 10-car train should commence in November on the (A) line.

As we know, any and all things with Bombardier, and MTA are subject to change without notice. Until it does, this is what we have now confirmed.

Edited by East New York

What cars are getting shifted to the (E)? (Being the (L) uses four car sets and the (E) uses five car sets).

That (E) wasn't supposed to be in there! lol. Typo.

The "rumors" of R32s staying around are not rumors at all. They are facts. The R179 fleet will not retire most of the R32 fleet. 

Whats the last date on those meeting materials?? The only trains staying around are for fleet reserve. By the end of the R179 order they will be rush hour only. By the time the R211's come in they will be no longer needed at all.

Once again, The (L) shutdown will facilitate the accelerated retirement of the R32's.

With 300 cars coming, and only 272 needing to be replaced, that leave 28 cars for a total of 3 extra trains for increased service, and a 4 car set that can be used elsewhere. There will then be at least another 7 trains from the (L).

Please explain to me why these trains are needed for anything other than rush hour and fleet reserve?

Edited by East New York

The L train shutdown will INCREASE car requirements, not decrease them. The Second Avenue subway opening will also increase car requirements. 

The first date on the budget materials was July 2015, when an SMS cycle was added for the R32 fleet after the delivery of the R179 order. 

The MTA is increasing service on OTHER lines using the displaced units from the (L). The MTA has also privately and publicly stated that they do not need cars for SAS and will use the existing cars they have. When the R211's come in 40 of those cars are slated for the (T).

So until anything is new (post-September 2016) printed in black and white, or I get a phone call telling me things have changed, these are the plans for now. At least 70% of the R32's (166) will no longer be needed. The fleet reserve will be used for rush hour, emergency, and G.O. purposes only. 

That's why I still have the unanswered question of why we need them now? A lot has changed in the 14 months since that fist statement was made.

The Canarsie shutdown is far from neutral with regards to car assignments. 
Being generous- Lets say that the cut L will be roughly 2/3 to 3/4 of the current L (24 trains). That gives you ~6-8 trains to assign elsewhere. 6-8 trains can easily be eaten up by the Eastern division. They also cannot be used much outside of the eastern division besides the C train.

During the Canarsie shutdown, the G will run full length trains and the G will see an increase in frequency as well. Making the G full length on its own will take 65 60 foot car equivalents on its own before you add in whatever frequency increases the G will see. Furthermore, the 240 foot eastern division sets are absolutely useless for making 600 foot trains. R32s will be needed for this.(Although I don't see any need for them to specifically be on the G itself.) 

The SAS fleet plans were made when NYCT had a larger fleet prior to the 2010 cuts. Yes, you probably could have gotten away with running SAS with no additional cars if we still had 272 75 foot R44s instead of 272 60 foot R42/R32s. Opening it today without additional cars will make things very tight.

It would surprise me very much if any R211 runs on the T any sooner than half way through the design life of the cars.