R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trust me theres various sources from both mta and rto stating that most or all the R32's are staying. They need the cars for other lines. The G is going 600 feet unless that changes to 480", even if that changed they still gonna need cars. They are gonna put R32's on lines that require 10 cars, this means they are gonna need a great amout of spares. But i do think 50 cars will retire for work service and scrapping.

Even though it may be "official" we all know how the MTA states something and yet the opposite occurs. I doubt ALL of the R-32's will be retired from the 179 order. They will be NEEDED for other services than the lines that are getting the new subway cars. When the (L) shuts down of course the extra cars will be used for increased service but the Eastern Division will use them up as needed but then we're leaving out the (G). Are the 5 car sets of 179's they are slated for the (A) displace some of the 46's to the (G)? If that were to happen then I could see the 32's being retired.

I mean come on when the R-160's came in they were slated to retire ALL the R-32,38,40,42 but guess what the 42's are still here and the workhorse 32's are still here because of the obvious structural integrity issue of the frames on the 44's. I think at least 40-60 cars of 32's should remain for service(when needed) such as put-ins or school trippers as they do with the (J)(Z) run them at night or just for a round trip or two during the rush hours.

Edited by 2 Train Master

The Canarsie shutdown is far from neutral with regards to car assignments. 

Being generous- Lets say that the cut L will be roughly 2/3 to 3/4 of the current L (24 trains). That gives you ~6-8 trains to assign elsewhere. 6-8 trains can easily be eaten up by the Eastern division. They also cannot be used much outside of the eastern division besides the C train.

During the Canarsie shutdown, the G will run full length trains and the G will see an increase in frequency as well. Making the G full length on its own will take 65 60 foot car equivalents on its own before you add in whatever frequency increases the G will see. Furthermore, the 240 foot eastern division sets are absolutely useless for making 600 foot trains. R32s will be needed for this.(Although I don't see any need for them to specifically be on the G itself.) 

The SAS fleet plans were made when NYCT had a larger fleet prior to the 2010 cuts. Yes, you probably could have gotten away with running SAS with no additional cars if we still had 272 75 foot R44s instead of 272 60 foot R42/R32s. Opening it today without additional cars will make things very tight.

It would surprise me very much if any R211 runs on the T any sooner than half way through the design life of the cars.      

I totally get what you are saying, as well as others and it all makes perfect since. Not only that but you are correct to a certain extent. It's just that the execution will be a bit different. So what I did was reach out to the MTA and request the current documented information again today so I could cross-reference once again. After I went over all that, I then asked another RTO employee in the know what information they had, and to break down everything to me. I may have been a bit off with the numbers, but I have confirmed my basic information is correct.

With that being said, thank's to you all, I now have update to add in as everything was explained to me detail by detail just a few short minutes ago. With confidence, I can now say the following information is in fact confirmed from Car Equipment. Effective 9/13/16 12:55pm EST

1.) 4 10-car trains to the (A). 38 8-car trains to the (C)(J)(Z). The (M) only if needed by ENY Yard.

2.) All 50 R42's and 112 R32's will be replaced immediately on the (C) line. Approximately 110 cars (spare included) will remain for rush hour and week day express service. The remaining cars will be on storage reserve and scrapped. 

3.) Remaining revenue R32's for Rush hour and weekday express ONLY service will be transferred to the (B) line. (I was about to ask all you train buffs why the hell the B would get old R32's. Now I understand. Turns out thats not a rumor. It's the tentative plans until further notice.)

4.) (L) Train will then shut down, displacing R160 sets in order to increase service elsewhere. 

5.) Now that the (Q) will terminate in Manhattan, it will eliminate 8 stops (both directions in Queens) and have travel time further reduced as it no longer has to travel the width of the East River. This now means the line will have more capacity that needed, by up to 2 trains during rush hour. The 2 trains originally allocated, have now been re-assigned to the (A). The trains no longer needed will likely go to the (N) and (W) lines as they will share crew starting next pic.

Edited by East New York

During the (L) shutdown heres two lines that are gonna see a large increase in service

(G) will go full length, currently it uses 52 4 car R68's thats 13 trains. Once it goes full length its gonna use 104 cars (75 footers) 130 if its 60 footers in total. Plus the increase of service. The current headways is 8-10 mins, mta has stated that the G would run every 4-5 mins during rush hour. Currently the G runs about 6 to 7 tph at a 8-10 min headway, if its 4-5 then thats 12 -13 tph. This would require atleast 21- 24 trainsets of full length G trains

The (M) will see a 25% increase in service so that will basically take most or all the cars coming from the (L)

The (J) and (Z) its unknown if they'll add anything.

But most of the car requirement increases are mainly for the (G). This is exactly why the R32's are needed.

I might be off abit but in reality we need to keep 150+ R32's alone for the (G) Service increase.

4-car trains for the (A)? If that's supposed to be correct,... Lefferts Shuttle?

He probably ment the 5 car sets, 10 car R179's

All I know, is what I posted is what's on the MTA books as of this moment. Anything else is speculation.

ENY have you been able to figure out what's going on with the whole R211 on the (T) thing?

I have a preliminary report that I will post in the R211 thread sometime this afternoon. Just give me a chance to transfer everything to the forum.

4-car trains for the (A)? If that's supposed to be correct,... Lefferts Shuttle?

Typo. 4 10-car trains. Up from the original 2.

Also before the (L) shutdown the R32's will be assigned to the (M) shuttle during the myrtle viaduct work.

I understand all of what you are saying, but it doesn't match my confirmed report for today from MTA Brass. Because the viaduct will be closed, MTA is building a temporary maintenance facility for 2 R160's at Fresh Pond Rd. This will be in place to maintain cars that will not be able to get to the yard as the train will run in sections. Because it will be running in sections, it won't need any R32, and will use extra cars from the (L) when needed. 

As far as the (G), it will get an increase of about 84 cars. Thats means you only need 84 R32's moved over to the (B), and you still have some left for spare or service increase elsewhere. No more R32's will be needed after that.

Edited by East New York

3.) Remaining revenue R32's for Rush hour and weekday express ONLY service will be transferred to the (B) line. (I was about to ask all you train buffs why the hell the B would get old R32's. Now I understand. Turns out thats not a rumor. It's the tentative plans until further notice.)

Any word on when this is slated to occur?

Best of my understanding the R-179 will NOT be operationally compatible with the R-160's; certainly not the CBTC-equipped ones as they provide for, but do not have, CBTC equipment.

Reread the above quote.

The R-179's are most definitely N-O-T, NOT equipped with CBTC, but have provision for later installation.

One of the R-179's acceptance milestones is compatibility for CBTC, as in cabinet space and (presumably) electrical provisions.  The R-160's were the same way. 

Actual CBTC installation would be in-house after a pilot program, way down the road when the Queens Blvd./8th Avenue (3rd Gen) system is finalized.  8313-16 and 8377-80 have been the guinea pigs for this project since some time in 2014. 

Really thats why the video tour that TrainKid Kriss posted had CBTC and ATO installed ready for service.

Right I cant believe anything you are saying at all because 1. You dont work for the MTA. 2. Alot of things you have said are false. I'm going off word by ACTUAL employees directly from them.

All I know, is what I posted is what's on the MTA books as of this moment. Anything else is speculation.

I have a preliminary report that I will post in the R211 thread sometime this afternoon. Just give me a chance to transfer everything to the forum.

Typo. 4 10-car trains. Up from the original 2.

I understand all of what you are saying, but it doesn't match my confirmed report for today from MTA Brass. Because the viaduct will be closed, MTA is building a temporary maintenance facility for 2 R160's at Fresh Pond Rd. This will be in place to maintain cars that will not be able to get to the yard as the train will run in sections. Because it will be running in sections, it won't need any R32, and will use extra cars from the (L) when needed. 

As far as the (G), it will get an increase of about 84 cars. Thats means you only need 84 R32's moved over to the (B), and you still have some left for spare or service increase elsewhere. No more R32's will be needed after that

Any word on when this is slated to occur?

When the (L) train shuts down.

Hopefully the R179s will not have the same issue in the rockaways that the R160s have.

That was dealt with a couple years ago, so all should be well now.

R32s on the Bravo..... R179s on the Apple. Who wouldve thought....

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Right! I needed someone to explain that (B) to me because I thought it was just "foamer" talk until today. That's why I decided to stay out of this until I was briefed.

This all subject to change though.

Correct.

Bombardier posted technical data? Can I get a link?

I posted it in this thread ages ago, but that's going to be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It's in there though. R179, and R211 are CBTC ready. 6th and 8th Avenue lines are next for the upgrades.

Edit: Yes this does include Queens Blvd. for CBTC to operate seamlessly with the (E), (F), and (M).

Edited by East New York