R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Thanks for the update. Will the MTA make a public announcement saying that the R32s will be retired earlier, as people will be happy?

The R32s on the (B) will be interesting. Thanks for all of your updates. We all really appreciate it. I wish there was some reference to use as the information on the R179 page on wikipedia is now incorrect.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the update. Will the MTA make a public announcement saying that the R32s will be retired earlier, as people will be happy?

The R32s on the (B) will be interesting. Thanks for all of your updates. We all really appreciate it. I wish there was some reference to use as the information on the R179 page on wikipedia is now incorrect.

Couldn't you reference his post? Or is that not how wikipedia works?

People getting excited about R32s on the (B) makes me feel old, I remember riding them here and there on the (B) to and from High School which I attended from 06 to 2010. Freshman year when the 160 order was in the early stages at least one set of 32s was on the (B) and when the Brighton station rehab started a few years later 1 train set of 32's returned to the (B) , it even broke down on me once at Sheepshead Bay with a door problem and the train had to be taken out of service  :lol:

To me, seeing the R42s on the (B) would be  :drool:  as I never saw or rode them on the (B) other than the one car in the WillyB pair.

Forums are not reliable sources. Should I be quoting some of the nubes who know nothing? Then on wikipedia it would say that the R32s will last until 2050 to allow for the (W) to be extended to Coney Island.

Don't forget the R188 (1) to Flatbush reroute someone put on there.

The only time one should ever quote anything from NYCTF is if the information is accompanied by an official document, or are a transit manufacturing firm or supplier in the know. This has in fact actually been done by 4 different bus manufacturers, and 3 suppliers and the NY Times in an indirect manner. As a presenter for and member of TTMG, they got an honorable nod for the wealth of information and depth of what we all stand for by none other than the NY Times themselves just a few days ago. There have been about 9 exceptions over the last 8 years where info that I posted cannot be backed by anything other than my word until it is made public. All who have gotten to know me here know that sometimes I post things that will NOT be found anywhere in black and white for months or even years in quite a few cases. Minor details are always subject to change, but I have been 99.9% right for 8 years running now....

I mean New Flyer did in fact find out the C40LF could be resurrected, the Xcelsior and C40LFR would NOT by any means be qualified, and the contract was awarded to them in a post I made. I accidentally posted the info the Friday before I was supposed to not paying attention to my notes and that cause a lot of commotion. The contract was officially NOT awarded. New Flyer had not been notified of the award, and MTA had not officially made it public at all.

Now fast farward to the new XD60 order. I posted that NFI would be awarded approximately 139 buses. They then posted the information on their website based off my post. MTA had not yet awarded NFI the 139 or Nova the 92 as I mentioned they would. Once MTA made it public moths later, Nova then added it to their information log.

And by the way, the wiki sites have in fact updated in the past based on a few of my posts. I.e. My initial posts on the 90 test buses,MTS RTS program, the MTA/NYCT systematic merger, Resurrected just for MTA C40LF, R188, R179, and R211 programs.

Edited by East New York

The R32s on the (B) will be interesting. 

I'm curious to how. When the R-160's were being delivered in full swing the (B) had one set between 2009 possibly earlier and mid 2010. It was not a concern then because lots were in awe of the 160's and didn't pay any mind to the minority. I wonder how many people remember the brief of 44's/46's on the (C)(E), the 32's on the (B)(R) & even (F) in 2009/10 hell even the (G) but it went unnoticed from the excitement of the "new" subway cars.

I'm curious to how. When the R-160's were being delivered in full swing the (B) had one set between 2009 possibly earlier and mid 2010. It was not a concern then because lots were in awe of the 160's and didn't pay any mind to the minority. I wonder how many people remember the brief of 44's/46's on the (C)(E), the 32's on the (B)(R) & even (F) in 2009/10 hell even the (G) but it went unnoticed from the excitement of the "new" subway cars.

I remember all of that...then there was the one set of 32s that ran on the (N) during the rush right before that.

...met a future (ex) girlfriend on it lol

I remember the R42 on the (R) and (V). Boy I was in dreamland!

Really thats why the video tour that TrainKid Kriss posted had CBTC and ATO installed ready for service.

Right I cant believe anything you are saying at all because 1. You dont work for the MTA. 2. Alot of things you have said are false. I'm going off word by ACTUAL employees directly from them.

Don't know anything about a video, nor do I care what you do, but for my part I try not to let misinformation get "out there" if it can be helped.

Than again, the heat of discussion is what these "forums" do, I suppose, and relative anonymity is a necessary element to that.

"CBTC Ready" doesn't mean CBTC is installed and functional.  It just means there is necessary provision to install the system at a later date.  NYCT has developed more than one CBTC operating system so far.  Best of my understanding (again) is the original analog data processing of 2001 that was employed on L in 2007 has given way to an all-electronic version that was retrofitted on the R-143's and R-160A's, and is still (presently) being installed on the R-188/nee R-142A fleet for use on 7 in 2017.  Corona's "guinea pig" consist was 7371-80 plus 7915, but several more consists have had or are having a working system installed since that time, with the temporary, resultant fleet shortages requiring continued use of a handful of R-62A's (34 assigned) on 7.

The 8-car test train of R-160A's mentioned (8313-16 and 8377-80) is in dedicated use (ie has been TEMPORARILY withdrawn from revenue service) by Engineering for ongoing development of the "3rd" Generation CBTC that will be used on Queens Blvd. and lower 8th Avenue since 2014, a project with a "contract" completion date of 2021.  That train is based at Coney Island, and its test bed is the otherwise unused express tracks between Church Ave. and Bergen St. within F and G, where they can often be seen on weekdays.  Whereas the R-211's now can't even start delivery until 2021, at least , the original deadline will likely be long past before QBL implementation is actually achieved (perhaps more like 2025?).  (Please note:  the R-211's will be required to completely implement CBTC on the appropriate portions of the A, C and R; all [pre-existing] cars used on the the E, F and M lines must also posses functional CBTC by the same time.)

CBTC as a technology will continue to evolve in the meanwhile, so there is currently no way to really know how the operational system will be configured by then.  Therefore, while it will be possible to install functional CBTC (in-house) as part of the Pilot R-179 testing and acceptance regime, that doesn't mean it will be ready for fleet-wide application as they are delivered in the 2017-2018 era.

Given that a portion of the R-179's are slated for assignment to East New York, SOME might receive current-day CBTC as they are delivered to enable operation on L, but that depends on a service needs judgement by NYCT (more exactly DCE).  In point of historical fact, at ENY just 64 of the 372 R-160A's originally assigned there (8313-76) were actually retrofitted with CBTC in response to added service requirements on L that had developed between the 2001 R-143 acquistion and the arrival of R-160A's by 2007-08.  No matter; all of East New York's New Technology rolling stock (be it R-160A or R-179) will eventually receive CBTC equipment as part of the QBL (M) implementation at whatever time it becomes necessary, in whatever upgraded form it by then posseses. 

Whenever the R-211 order is finalized and Engineering develops a satisfactory, evolutionary version of CBTC that will be applied to the QBL project (about 2019 maybe?), appropriate (electrical) hardware will finally be acquired and installed on the R-160's and R-179's that might be assigned to those services in that time frame.  Depending on the status of CBTC's evolutionary technology and the installation process at whatever time R-211 deliveries do begin, they may be delivered as "CBTC Ready" (ie later installation) or with functioning CBTC installed during construction.  The latter would indeed be a first; all cars equipped since 2004 or so (starting with the R-143's) have had the system hardware installed by NYCT forces at the operating facilities (that is, East New York and Corona).  Therefore, I would surmise these future new cars would be delivered with the necessary electrical apparatus installed, but subject to final assembly, testing and certification by MTA NYCT personnel.  As planned, the QBL CBTC expansion will bring Pitkin, 207 Street and Jamaica into the "full CBTC" fold, which in turn will create two segregated car fleets on the B-Division until the R-68/68A's are eventually replaced by an even later acquisition.

I do hope this clarifies things a bit.

People getting excited about R32s on the (B) makes me feel old, I remember riding them here and there on the (B) to and from High School which I attended from 06 to 2010. Freshman year when the 160 order was in the early stages at least one set of 32s was on the (B) and when the Brighton station rehab started a few years later 1 train set of 32's returned to the (B) , it even broke down on me once at Sheepshead Bay with a door problem and the train had to be taken out of service  :lol:

To me, seeing the R42s on the (B) would be  :drool:  as I never saw or rode them on the (B) other than the one car in the WillyB pair.

Wow, that's really not at all long ago.

Even though you're extremely young (but perhaps not as young as many of the children on this board), 42s on the B was a really common thing until the CI rebuild 42s were retired in the mid 2000s (maybe 2007?)

As for the other posts questioning the validity of info in this thread, it's fun to watch foamers fight. I've seen and heard all I need to and posted a fair amount about the cars. Endless mindless speculation about not finalized plans for equipment swaps frankly bores the hell out of me, and I don't really give a damn since it's subject to change anyway. Nothing on the internet is truly infallible, consider the source, not the site. There are things I and a small handful of others post on here that you can take to the bank, and there is mindless speculation by the masses. The same is true at those "other" sites but I don't waste my time with them because most pictures and videos of transit are nothing more than mundane, every day nonsense with no fresh ideas or artistry, and at least here there is the career forum to help out would be employees, and all of the pics and videos are sorted out so I don't have to waste my time clicking through the mess.

Edited by SubwayGuy

I totally get what you are saying, as well as others and it all makes perfect since. Not only that but you are correct to a certain extent. It's just that the execution will be a bit different. So what I did was reach out to the MTA and request the current documented information again today so I could cross-reference once again. After I went over all that, I then asked another RTO employee in the know what information they had, and to break down everything to me. I may have been a bit off with the numbers, but I have confirmed my basic information is correct.

With that being said, thank's to you all, I now have update to add in as everything was explained to me detail by detail just a few short minutes ago. With confidence, I can now say the following information is in fact confirmed from Car Equipment. Effective 9/13/16 12:55pm EST

1.) 4 10-car trains to the (A). 38 8-car trains to the (C)(J)(Z). The (M) only if needed by ENY Yard.

2.) All 50 R42's and 112 R32's will be replaced immediately on the (C) line. Approximately 110 cars (spare included) will remain for rush hour and week day express service. The remaining cars will be on storage reserve and scrapped.

3.) Remaining revenue R32's for Rush hour and weekday express ONLY service will be transferred to the (B) line. (I was about to ask all you train buffs why the hell the B would get old R32's. Now I understand. Turns out thats not a rumor. It's the tentative plans until further notice.)

4.) (L) Train will then shut down, displacing R160 sets in order to increase service elsewhere.

5.) Now that the (Q) will terminate in Manhattan, it will eliminate 8 stops (both directions in Queens) and have travel time further reduced as it no longer has to travel the width of the East River. This now means the line will have more capacity that needed, by up to 2 trains during rush hour. The 2 trains originally allocated, have now been re-assigned to the (A). The trains no longer needed will likely go to the (N) and (W) lines as they will share crew starting next pic.

Surely, they're going to put together a work program to modify the Montague Tunnel so R32s can run through there again if they want to run them on the (B). Otherwise, the Brighton Line will be a complete shitshow if there's any kind of service problem that prevents (B) trains from getting to the 6th Ave Line. Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

R32's on the (B) ? Wow. Remember when they ran on the (Q) back in 1965? Well I didn't actually get to ride them until 1968 because I was riding the R9's & R10's btn Brooklyn and Harlem to Nana's house on the weekends. The closest I ever came to the BMT was the Myrtle Ave el and the R16's on the Broadway (#15) line btn Myrtle & Chambers to visit cousins who lived on Lex. Ave. Up to that point I'd never ridden alone on the subway. One day after school when I was 11 the urge just overwhelmed me so I snuck two quarters from Mom's change purse (15 cents for the fare and 35 cents for those vending machine Chicklets!) and made my way from our home in Bed-Stuy to Mott Ave on an R9 (E) Express and back. Next day before school I begged my father for a whole dollar! On that day I discovered the REAL BMT and those gorgeous silver cars on the (Q) (and the (N) & (T) )!

Although I'm more excited about the coming of the R211's than either the 32's or 179's I wouldn't ever begrudge someone's excitement on seeing and old car on a new line, even if I've literally been there and done that decades ago.

Enjoy!

"CBTC Ready" doesn't mean CBTC is installed and functional.  It just means there is necessary provision to install the system at a later date.

People really should pay attention to this. I'm tired of reading all the comments from people who insist the R179s have come with CBTC installed directly from Bombardier...

NYCT has developed more than one CBTC operating system so far.  Best of my understanding (again) is the original analog data processing of 2001 that was employed on L in 2007 has given way to an all-electronic version that was retrofitted on the R-143's and R-160A's, and is still (presently) being installed on the R-188/nee R-142A fleet for use on 7 in 2017.  Corona's "guinea pig" consist was 7371-80 plus 7915, but several more consists have had or are having a working system installed since that time, with the temporary, resultant fleet shortages requiring continued use of a handful of R-62A's (34 assigned) on 7.

7860-7870 was Corona's first test set which was OOS for two years. 7371-7915-7380, as you mentioned, did test with CBTC in some way but was never taken OOS. Some other sets tested OOS too, like 7491-7927-7500 which is currently OOS now.

Back onto the topic of the R179s, yes they can get CBTC at a later date and probably will when needed. No, they will not have CBTC right away as they will most likely run on the (A)(C)(J) and (Z). Nothing is definite and I am not saying these assignments are set in stone, but the most logical place to put the 179s would be these routes. 

Any updates on 3015-3019's delivery?

Edited by Tech And Transit

I totally get what you are saying, as well as others and it all makes perfect since. Not only that but you are correct to a certain extent. It's just that the execution will be a bit different. So what I did was reach out to the MTA and request the current documented information again today so I could cross-reference once again. After I went over all that, I then asked another RTO employee in the know what information they had, and to break down everything to me. I may have been a bit off with the numbers, but I have confirmed my basic information is correct.

With that being said, thank's to you all, I now have update to add in as everything was explained to me detail by detail just a few short minutes ago. With confidence, I can now say the following information is in fact confirmed from Car Equipment. Effective 9/13/16 12:55pm EST

1.) 4 10-car trains to the (A). 38 8-car trains to the (C)(J)(Z). The (M) only if needed by ENY Yard.

2.) All 50 R42's and 112 R32's will be replaced immediately on the (C) line. Approximately 110 cars (spare included) will remain for rush hour and week day express service. The remaining cars will be on storage reserve and scrapped. 

3.) Remaining revenue R32's for Rush hour and weekday express ONLY service will be transferred to the (B) line. (I was about to ask all you train buffs why the hell the B would get old R32's. Now I understand. Turns out thats not a rumor. It's the tentative plans until further notice.)

4.) (L) Train will then shut down, displacing R160 sets in order to increase service elsewhere. 

5.) Now that the (Q) will terminate in Manhattan, it will eliminate 8 stops (both directions in Queens) and have travel time further reduced as it no longer has to travel the width of the East River. This now means the line will have more capacity that needed, by up to 2 trains during rush hour. The 2 trains originally allocated, have now been re-assigned to the (A). The trains no longer needed will likely go to the (N) and (W) lines as they will share crew starting next pic.

East New York, I posted the information you gave out in this thread on subchat, attributing the work in finding the material to you. Some of the fools on subchat ...cough cough Terrapin.. oops did I say something, don't believe you and are skeptical of any information that comes from this website. We are trying to direct one of them in particular to your information on bus deliveries and other important information that you tell the community here.

Also, if some of the R32s go into service on the (B), would the Montague Tunnel problem be solved? I would assume the affirmative.