R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trucks have rails on them.

Once they leave the factory, the cars are pushed onto the trucks (its has to be lined up with the rails perfectly, or youll have a very expemsive derail lol) and tied down with heavy-duty chains. They travel by truck to 207 St, and the process is reversed. They get pulled off by diesels onto the tracks

Indeed. And sometimes, there's a special rail ramp put in place to transfer between the truck and the yard rails. I'm not sure if they need that at 207, but some places do. 

Wouldn't it simply be easier to transport them by rail? Like before 1990? Ironic that a railcar manufacturing plant ships trains to a transit agency via tractor trailer of all things...

It's much easier(and quicker) to truck them over the GWB. If you were to transport them via rail, the route from the interchange from the main rail network to 207 is so convoluted, you easily spend half the time in the subway system.

Wouldn't it simply be easier to transport them by rail? Like before 1990? Ironic that a railcar manufacturing plant ships trains to a transit agency via tractor trailer of all things...

The Bombardier 142s were bought in by rail, bought by Freight from Upstate NY down to the Linden Yard area, NYCT diesel tows them up the ramp onto the Livonia Line and then towed to E180th for prepping.

If they used the same method for 179s they would have to be towed over the (L) line to Broadway Junction then to West 4th, reverse there to be towed to Pikin for prep. Bringing the cars in at 207th the tow is a straight shot down to Pikin.

I really wanted them be delivered by rail though  :(  would have been cool seeing subway cars on the Bay Ridge Branch.

It really takes them two weeks to train a few employees as to how this train works? I thought it would be testing on the Rockaway flats by now..

Wow, you're really rushing things....  We must be patient.

How do trains  get from the trucks to the tracks?

The railcar itself is trucked by flatbed, the [bogies](truck in North American usage) is shipped separately to the depot (Pitkin yard in this case). When all equipment arrives, the [bogies] are set up on the rails, then the railcar is moved onto the bogies by crane, or whatever other method necessary. (I wouldn't know, since I'm not an MTA employee).

At least thats how I think it works....  :wacko::ph34r:

The Bombardier 142s were bought in by rail, bought by Freight from Upstate NY down to the Linden Yard area, NYCT diesel tows them up the ramp onto the Livonia Line and then towed to E180th for prepping.

If they used the same method for 179s they would have to be towed over the (L) line to Broadway Junction then to West 4th, reverse there to be towed to Pikin for prep. Bringing the cars in at 207th the tow is a straight shot down to Pikin.

I really wanted them be delivered by rail though  :(  would have been cool seeing subway cars on the Bay Ridge Branch.

They can't do that because Linden Yard is A division only.

What is Linden Yard for anyway

Linden Yard/Shops is C division, with no 3rd rail power whatsoever. They produce track panels and rails, and on occasion you'll see train wheels there. The CWR trains and the VakTrak are both stored there.

There is a track chained "Q7-8" from Linden Yard to the southbound (L) track, however to get from Linden to 207, you would have to tow the car via the (L) to Broadway Junction, switch to the (J) then travel down to Essex Street, follow the (M) through Chrystie then via the (A) to 207, all while not yet inspected and confirmed to be road worthy. It's much less convoluted to truck directly to 207.

A single diesel locomotive delivering subway cars can probably pull 20-50 cars, a single tractor-trailer can only pull one.  20-50 trucks carrying 90,000-pound cars generate a lot more pollution then one locomotive pulling them by rail, not to mention that streets wear down faster when you have big rigs traveling over them, plus the traffic congestion caused (they do not go very fast).  So yeah, from an outdated 1980s-free market perspective, trucks are 'economical' and I'm sure the Teamsters Union would agree with you, but when one factors in the primarily environmental costs, those significantly outweigh the supposed benefits.  And people wonder where the greenhouse effect comes from....

Edited by R10 2952

A single diesel locomotive delivering subway cars can probably pull 20-50 cars, a single tractor-trailer can only pull one.  20-50 trucks carrying 90,000-pound cars generate a lot more pollution then one locomotive pulling them by rail, not to mention that streets wear down faster when you have big rigs traveling over them, plus the traffic congestion caused (they do not go very fast).  So yeah, from an outdated 1980s-free market perspective, trucks are 'economical' and I'm sure the Teamsters Union would agree with you, but when one factors in the primarily environmental costs, those significantly outweigh the supposed benefits.  And people wonder where the greenhouse effect comes from....

Subway cars are never delivered 20-50 at a time (heck they aren't even built in batches of 20), plus when towing them through the subway system you would have to break them up into sets of five (If they ever did try to deliver 20 at a time). No facility in the subway system is capable of handling 20 flatbeds at a time, not even considering 50.

As much as I may want to ship subway cars by rail, (and lower our dependency on trucks and, by extension, fossil fuels) the logistics and routing are so convoluted, that delivering them by flatbed truck is quicker, easier and cheaper. Now if 207 had a direct to a main line freight railroad, that would be a different story.

Subway cars are never delivered 20-50 at a time (heck they aren't even built in batches of 20), plus when towing them through the subway system you would have to break them up into sets of five (If they ever did try to deliver 20 at a time). No facility in the subway system is capable of handling 20 flatbeds at a time, not even considering 50.

As much as I may want to ship subway cars by rail, (and lower our dependency on trucks and, by extension, fossil fuels) the logistics and routing are so convoluted, that delivering them by flatbed truck is quicker, easier and cheaper. Now if 207 had a direct to a main line freight railroad, that would be a different story.

But environmentalism isn't about taking the easy way out. It's about doing what is right even if it's an inconvenience. 

The A actually borrows a set from the B during the evening rush. In fact, the A borrows a set from the B and the C.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Hopefully when they get the R179s on the  (A), they could add extra R46 sets to the  (B) and  (G) lines for better rush hour service.

In fact, the  (G) is especially going to need the extra R46s in 2019, when the  (L) shuts down and  (G) service rises significantly.

Edited by Cone E Island

Who said theyll use R46s ?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

No, I never said they'll use R46s. I'm just saying that when the  (L)  shuts down in 2019 and the R179s hopefully comes to the  (A) by then, I think the  (G) should use some extra R46 sets from the  (A) because of increased service on  (G) and  (M) trains. Making only 8 cars sets from the existing R68 cars on the (G) could cause more delays. Plus, it's been a while since R46s ran normally on the  (G) line.

No, I never said they'll use R46s. I'm just saying that when the  (L)  shuts down in 2019 and the R179s hopefully comes to the  (A) by then, I think the  (G) should use some extra R46 sets from the  (A) because of increased service on  (G) and  (M) trains. Making only 8 cars sets from the existing R68 cars on the (G) could cause more delays. Plus, it's been a while since R46s ran normally on the  (G) line.

And that they haven't been on the (G) in a while justifies it? If you wanted to see R46s on the (G), you should have checked out the Tunnel closure on the (G).