R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Yeah, it really isn't worth it lol. 

Anyways... here's a link to the new BART cars running. The 179s could potentially have the same propulsion. (Not my video)

Well, What if this happens to the R179?

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/04/22/new-bart-train-car-crashes-during-hayward-test-run/

Note that both the R179 and the new BART cars are both by Bombardier. Good thing it crashed on a test track.

Edited by Tonyboy515

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll say this, after getting the chance to ride the (J)(Z) earlier today to meet up with a buddy of mind, the R179s are desperately needed for those lines. Seeing the exterior condition on the R42s with my own eyes was a scene for sore eyes. Duct tape on the side roofs, rust corrosion, I only told myself is this really in 2016?

Hopefully everything goes well with testing the R179s into the system and eventually putting those R42s out of their misery.

Edited by jon2305

I take it the train didn't run today? I know someone here rode out to Broad Channel to see if its running :lol:

lmfao wasn't me this time. And no, it did not go out today.

That was me. I live in Rockaway and work in manhattan so I go thru there every day. It was out there last Thursday with a set of 46s. It hasn't been out since although I am off today so I'm not sure about today

That was me. I live in Rockaway and work in manhattan so I go thru there every day. It was out there last Thursday with a set of 46s. It hasn't been out since although I am off today so I'm not sure about today

It ran today for like 2 hours and went back to Pitkin

Well, the first field reports aren't too good.

:wacko:

The skinny, October 18:  On-board electronics were shutting down over third rail gaps.  A vague explanation was "bad auxiliaries."

3010-14 were last observed sitting outside the barn at Pitkin Yard today (October 21).  This may indicate "dunce cap" status as NYCT won't waste interior pit space for rectification of a problem for which it doesn't have a fix and neither, evidently, does BOM.

Second set delivery of 3015-19 will likely be delayed accordingly.  Back to the drawing board...

Meanwhile the R42s are holding on for dear life...

Can someone please tell me why the MTA did just order more R160? Instead of going through this Sh*t with Bombardier...

Because they can't see the future. However, at this rate, they could possible just add cars to the R211 order. This order is so late that I can't even see the last of these cars arriving until some of the first R211s come in.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk