R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is how I see it:

The R142/R143 were the R1/R9s and R12/R14s of the New millennium. They presented a new design along with new tech and a new look to fit with the times.

The R160s were the R16s of the new millennium. They are overweight but they have basically set the bar for a practical design with the expected flaws while at the same time, setting the design standard for many future car orders.

The R179 may basically be the Redbirds of the new age. Improving on the design of the R160s and reducing weight. This may be the most reliable and repeatable design for New Tech cars until something better comes along. The most they may do is change the color of the front bonnet and interiors. Same for everything between R16 and R38 only this time, the sides don't need to be painted.

The next outer body change may come with the replacements for either the R68s or the R142s.

But that's just my thoughts. I know there are going to be those few that have a shotgun in hand so I'm prepared lol

The MTA should have completely replaced the R32-44 orders with the R160s. How is it that the (C) is still running R32s? :confused:

The R44 was never supposed to be replaced with thr R160. Due to the Carbon Steel in the belt line rusting quicker than the stainless steel on the car, and other technical problems in the body, the cars had to be retired. The R32 on the other hand, are purely Stainless steel and use the reliable design seen on the Redbirds which keep it in better shape. Had the R44 not began messing up as it did, the R32's and 42s would be gone and the (C) most likely would have had those R44s.

Enter someones correction in 3....2....1.....

Although even if they retired all the R42s, ENY would be short some trains. The (M) probably would've had to use the 10-car R160s and short turn them at 2nd av.

The MTA should have completely replaced the R32-44 orders with the R160s. How is it that the (C) is still running R32s? :confused:
You should know this by now, R44s were retired early thus R32s are still around. That plus with the 'car shortage', the (C) isn't likely to run more than 8 60' car trains.

Although even if they retired all the R42s, ENY would be short some trains. The (M) probably would've had to use the 10-car R160s and short turn them at 2nd av.

You should know this by now, R44s were retired early thus R32s are still around. That plus with the 'car shortage', the (C) isn't likely to run more than 8 60' car trains.

I hear that R32 (and 42) part, but the thing that gets me is we should be getting new cars by now. The oldest R44's hit 40 last year. They're now 39-41 years old.

Edited by m7zanr160s
Addition

I hear that R32 (and 42) part, but the thing that gets me is we should be getting new cars by now. The oldest R44's hit 40 last year. They're now 39-41 years old.

Yeah I agree. But you know the (MTA) . I hope the R179 contract gets awarded this month, and the R46's get retired and SIR gets some R179's. Because the R46's only have a few more years till their scheduled lifetime is up, so why waste the money to retrofit them. :confused:

Yeah I agree. But you know the (MTA) . I hope the R179 contract gets awarded this month, and the R46's get retired and SIR gets some R179's. Because the R46's only have a few more years till their scheduled lifetime is up, so why waste the money to retrofit them. :confused:

The R46's will not be replaced by the R179's. Those will later be replaced by something different. As for why some of the R46's will be sent to SI, they could use up the little amount of life they had just as they have done with the R44's by giving them SMS.

The R46s will be replaced sometime between (by the looks of things) 2016 and 2020 considering that the R211 is going to be purchased using some of the 2015-2019 Capital budget. The retrofit is to make sure they last 'till then without many problems.

BUT IN THE MEANTIME, I also hope the R179 gets awarded to someone this month. As much as I love the R32's and R42's, they have to go. It's like having an old dog that IS dying, but it's trying extra hard not to.

The R46s will be replaced sometime between (by the looks of things) 2016 and 2020 considering that the R211 is going to be purchased using some of the 2015-2019 Capital budget. The retrofit is to make sure they last 'till then without many problems.

BUT IN THE MEANTIME, I also hope the R179 gets awarded to someone this month. As much as I love the R32's and R42's, they have to go. It's like having an old dog that IS dying, but it's trying extra hard not to.

Hmm. Ok. But I was doing some research, and I found a lot of different answers about the R32's, but Wikipedia (although probably not a reliable source) says that the R32's will last until 2017. Was that their expected lifetime at one point, and the (MTA) decided that they would fall apart by then, or is that just someone making stuff up?

Hmm. Ok. But I was doing some research, and I found a lot of different answers about the R32's, but Wikipedia (although probably not a reliable source) says that the R32's will last until 2017. Was that their expected lifetime at one point, and the (MTA) decided that they would fall apart by then, or is that just someone making stuff up?

the R32s are currently undergoing their last SMS which should allegdly keep the R32s around till 2017

R211 will replace SIR R46. But as uncertain things are, we may see the R211 earlier or later than planned. Will the R211's also replace the R68's?

R211 will replace SIR R46. But as uncertain things are, we may see the R211 earlier or later than planned. Will the R211's also replace the R68's?

The R68s are scheduled to be replaced in 2025. by what? we dont know that far in advance. but the R211's are scheduled to be purchased in 2015, and produced through 2019. so the R68's will probably be replaced by whatever comes after the R211's.

What happened to the extra 10 cars added on the amendment?

Thanks. I actually forgot all about that increase. You are correct though. The total is 350. The base and option are to be ordered at the same time.

That's why 179's are going to be ordered. But the non-SIR 44's are all retired anyway IIRC.

The 46's aren't going anywhere anytime soon, and the SIR will not be getting any 179's either unless some miracle takes place and MTA changes the assignments. The life of the 46's will we extended, and they are supposed to operate alongside the 211's when they come in next decade.

We have a good 10 years to go before we find out what replaces the R68. Could be a follow up order of R211's though.