R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lance25

When we know more about it, there will be a new thread about the R211s (or whatever order number they'll be). Right now, all we know is that the agency is trying to procure funding out of the 2015-19 budget for the new cars. Until we get more information, the majority of that thread will be "what will the new cars look like?" and "what lines will they go to?" Hardly productive if you ask me.

When we know more about it, there will be a new thread about the R211s (or whatever order number they'll be). Right now, all we know is that the agency is trying to procure funding out of the 2015-19 budget for the new cars. Until we get more information, the majority of that thread will be "what will the new cars look like?" and "what lines will they go to?" Hardly productive if you ask me.

I don't expect to see an R211 or whatever until way past 2019. The R68s are pretty new cars so they got another 20-30 years. Remember that the R32/38s were on the (C) for a long time, and are still there. The R42s and R46s have been on their respective lines for a long time, the cars have been upgraded. The R211 still has a long way.

I don't expect to see an R211 or whatever until way past 2019. The R68s are pretty new cars so they got another 20-30 years. Remember that the R32/38s were on the (C) for a long time, and are still there. The R42s and R46s have been on their respective lines for a long time, the cars have been upgraded. The R211 still has a long way.

Um, the youngest of the R68s are gonna be 25 this year. They are at their mid-life. They have 15-18 years left. And how ling a car has been on a line has NOTHING to do with how old it is and when it will go. And if by upgraded, you mean GOH, that was required because without it, they would never have lasted this long.

The R211 does not have a long way. In fact, it's right on schedule in spacing between new order proposals.

But do the R46/62/68 use PURE stainless steel like the R32? I'm not sure.

I am not quite sure about the 'faces'. Other than that I believe the sides are all stainless steel.

Pure as in all around like the R32? No. The R46/62/68 Have stainless steel sides. As for the bonnets, They're made with fiberglass. Hope that helps you guys.

Ok, thanks for the info :) I know this is off topic, and has probably already been mentioned, but I would just like to confirm that the R179's are nothing more than updated versions of the R160's, and will look the same. Sorry for the trouble. :(

I would hate for that to happen...soon there will be no variety what so ever in the fleet :(

Exactly, they should at least change the front of the trains color. It's bland enough with the R143/160 black. Why not dark blue or red like what MNCR has?

I don't mind the color of the seats, but I don't like how it's so extreme from the dimness of the R62 to the intense brightness of the NTTs. It'd be nice if there was something in between.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's not too late to add them, why not add a "Changing Subway Map" which is pretty much an electronic subway map on the trains, which changes with service advisories. EX: No (C) between 59th St and 42nd St, the map would not display service on the (C) between 59th St and 42nd St.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the link to the contract:

http://www.mta.info/..._March_2012.pdf

In short:

R179

300 B-Division cars

These 300 cars, according to the contract, will be used to replace the R32 and R42 units.

The 10 test cars are scheduled to be delivered 31 months after the Notice of Award (NOA).

Delivery of the cars will commence 38 months after NOA.

Delivery of the cars will be complete 56 months after NOA.

It seems that they will be both 4 car and 5 car sets that will run on the Eastern Division lines and on the Eight Avenue Local.

Edited by GojiMet86

This has my seal of approval. Go Bombardier!

I'm so happy ALSKAW didn't win this one. That Alstom propulsion gets so annoying when I have to sit on a train for a while (like if I'm on a (E) from lower Manhattan to Roosevelt or 71st which I am often). I'm thinking we might get the same propulsion as the CTA 5000 series on the 179s, which is also rather high-pitched, but it doesn't sound nearly as annoying as Alstom. Plus, it's great to see an order that's not going to have any Kawasaki involvement, 'bout time that happened. Not like they don't build a good railcar, but we need some variety in the NTT fleet already.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Mainly because the R-32 and R-42's are on separate lines.

As far as those 5000's are concerned...let's hope they'll get the truck bearing problem fixed before too long.

If I'm following, the (J)/(Z) will be running mostly R160's with 50 R179's, and the (C ) will be 100% R179.

Edited by ThrexxBus