R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I'm thinking is that the 4 car R179's should be CBTC retrofitted and placed on the (C)(J) and (Z) lines. I'm not sure if the (M) should get any R179's. As for the R179 5 car sets, ALL OF THEM should run on the (A) line, putting some R46's on the (C) just to lengthen the trains along it's route. As for the remaining R32's (which in my opinion should be about 140 left, don't know for sure) they should run as 10 car trains on the (C) and the (C) should run up to at least Ozone Park or Rockaway park for A/C purposes. As for the R32's on the (J) and (Z) lines, they should remain the same with a few upgrades on the interior's. R211's in this case, should ALL BE 5 car sets and only 5 car sets to allow flexible service and full length trains on the (C) and (G) lines. Though (G) trains will most likely still be using R68's during this time.

What I'm thinking is that the 4 car R179's should be CBTC retrofitted and placed on the (C)(J) and (Z) lines. I'm not sure if the (M) should get any R179's. As for the R179 5 car sets, ALL OF THEM should run on the (A) line, putting some R46's on the (C) just to lengthen the trains along it's route. As for the remaining R32's (which in my opinion should be about 140 left, don't know for sure) they should run as 10 car trains on the (C) and the (C) should run up to at least Ozone Park or Rockaway park for A/C purposes. As for the R32's on the (J) and (Z) lines, they should remain the same with a few upgrades on the interior's. R211's in this case, should ALL BE 5 car sets and only 5 car sets to allow flexible service and full length trains on the (C) and (G) lines. Though (G) trains will most likely still be using R68's during this time.

The bolded ideas are ones that the MTA already plans on doing.  Granted, it will be tricky to have the (C) be 100% 10-car trains before the R211s come in.

And are the R179s CBTC ready?  IIMN, they should be.

Wouldn't sending your proposed  (C) to Lefferts or Rockaway Park cause a bottleneck at Grant Av? It has to switch to the local at Hoyt, but suddenly share the same track as the  (A) at Grant. Also, sending it to Rockaway Park would make it wayyy to long. And why would the R32s need to have a few upgrades if the Canarsie shutdown is only for 15 months? The 32s would be retired shortly afterward.

- :D: to 96 St 

The bolded ideas are ones that the MTA already plans on doing. Granted, it will be tricky to have the (C) be 100% 10-car trains before the R211s come in.

And are the R179s CBTC ready? IIMN, they should be.

Forgive me if I provide any information that turns out to be wrong, but for now they're not CBTC ready.

The on-board equipment has to be compatible with transponders that will possibly be provided by different contractors for each of the separate IND trunk lines planned to get CBTC.

Edited by Neko Boy With Glasse

Forgive me if I provide any information that turns out to be wrong, but for now they're not CBTC ready.

The on-board equipment has to be compatible with transponders that will possibly be provided by different contractors for each of the separate IND trunk lines planned to get CBTC.

All new incoming car orders after the R143s (not counting the 188s) came/will come with CBTC capabilities, just gotta install the right hardware in them.

Wouldn't sending your proposed  (C) to Lefferts or Rockaway Park cause a bottleneck at Grant Av? It has to switch to the local at Hoyt, but suddenly share the same track as the  (A) at Grant. Also, sending it to Rockaway Park would make it wayyy to long. And why would the R32s need to have a few upgrades if the Canarsie shutdown is only for 15 months? The 32s would be retired shortly afterward.

- :D: to 96 St 

The whole point of upgrading the R32's is to accomindate current needs for the city before the R211's come in. As for creating a bottleneck, a simple solution is to build a connection from Montague Street and connect it to the transit museum so that (W) trains can run local to Euclid Avenue due to lack of demand from south Brooklyn, allowing (C) trains to run express to Lefferts or Rockaway Park. Also, if sending the (C) to rockaway Park is wayyy to long, then howcome this isn't a problem on the (A) line??? Doing this may potentially replace the (S) huttle

Upgrading the 32s only has to do with restoration of the equipment. You specifically only said "a few upgrades on the interior". While I can see the need for such a connection to Fulton for the (W), I'm afraid is isn't happening until after the  (L) shutdown. The 32s don't really make sense to stay on the  (C) since the MTA plans to only keep 110-160 of them, and also four-car consists of 179s are expected to go on the (C), while the (A) gets five-car sets. IMO the (C) shouldn't be full length because some of the cars wouldn't really be filled to capacity. We also don't have enough cars for such an extension to the Rockaways. And even if we do have enough, that would be after the 32s are retired, so why extend it in the first place?

- :D: to 96 St 

What about the R142's? ??

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

The R142s and R142As were NOT delivered CBTC ready--hence the need for the major conversion of most of the R142As to R188s.  I imagine they'll want to do the same with the R142s sooner or later (God knows how that's gonna pan out with all the problems Bombardier's been having) ...

I'm aware that all new trains come "CBTC ready."  However, when I asked if the R179s were CBTC ready, I meant to ask whether they had the necessary equipment already on board (i.e. so, for example, they could run on the (L) on day one if need be).  So the answer to that question is no.  Thanks for the answers.

The whole point of upgrading the R32's is to accomindate current needs for the city before the R211's come in. As for creating a bottleneck, a simple solution is to build a connection from Montague Street and connect it to the transit museum so that (W) trains can run local to Euclid Avenue due to lack of demand from south Brooklyn, allowing (C) trains to run express to Lefferts or Rockaway Park. Also, if sending the (C) to rockaway Park is wayyy to long, then howcome this isn't a problem on the (A) line??? Doing this may potentially replace the (S) huttle

Now this, I can agree with! It would take away one of the merges between the (A) and (C) trains, and eliminate any real reason to object to extending the (C) past Euclid, because all trains going past there would still be express in Brooklyn. Then, there would be a stronger case to make the (W) the full time Astoria train, which could in turn permit the (N) to go up 2nd Ave, eliminating the 34th St merge as well.

Upgrading the 32s only has to do with restoration of the equipment. You specifically only said "a few upgrades on the interior". While I can see the need for such a connection to Fulton for the (W), I'm afraid is isn't happening until after the  (L) shutdown. The 32s don't really make sense to stay on the  (C) since the MTA plans to only keep 110-160 of them, and also four-car consists of 179s are expected to go on the (C), while the (A) gets five-car sets. IMO the (C) shouldn't be full length because some of the cars wouldn't really be filled to capacity. We also don't have enough cars for such an extension to the Rockaways. And even if we do have enough, that would be after the 32s are retired, so why extend it in the first place?

- :D: to 96 St

They are? Shouldn't they keep all remaining active R32s in service until we get, say, at least 110-160 R211 cars in service, so we don't wind up with yet another B-Division car shortage?

They are not upgrading a car (R32's) just to scrap them shortly thereafter.  As it is they are receiving bare bones maintenance because transit knows they are on the way out.  That's just how things are done with all old equipment.  "A simple solution" would cause billions of dollars.  What happens to the transit museum?  Where do we get the money from?  You propose to run A and C via the express and just the W local.  Not enough service on the W as it can only run at a 10 minute headway (because it shares with the N in Astoria and the R after Queensboro), yet you would have all that express service on the A and C.  Those at local stops lose a 1 seat ride.  Finally the C to Rock Park is too long because it's local, whereas the A is express.

They are not upgrading a car (R32's) just to scrap them shortly thereafter. As it is they are receiving bare bones maintenance because transit knows they are on the way out. That's just how things are done with all old equipment. "A simple solution" would cause billions of dollars. What happens to the transit museum? Where do we get the money from? You propose to run A and C via the express and just the W local. Not enough service on the W as it can only run at a 10 minute headway (because it shares with the N in Astoria and the R after Queensboro), yet you would have all that express service on the A and C. Those at local stops lose a 1 seat ride. Finally the C to Rock Park is too long because it's local, whereas the A is express.

Ok, forget what I said about the R32's. The Transit museum would be relocated in my proposal. (I also made a separate thread called A New Transit Museum). The (W) would replace the local (C) train. As for headway's on the (W), just reorganize the train schedules and the amount of trains that run on the (W). Also the commuters won't lose a one seat ride if they're going to Times Square, Fulton Center/Oculos, or Hoyt-Schermerhorn. Also, if the (C) runs express, it would allow it to extend to Lefferts Blvd and replace the Lefferts Bound (A) trains.

Ok, forget what I said about the R32's. The Transit museum would be relocated in my proposal. (I also made a separate thread called A New Transit Museum). The (W) would replace the local (C) train. As for headway's on the (W), just reorganize the train schedules and the amount of trains that run on the (W). Also the commuters won't lose a one seat ride if they're going to Times Square, Fulton Center/Oculos, or Hoyt-Schermerhorn. Also, if the (C) runs express, it would allow it to extend to Lefferts Blvd and replace the Lefferts Bound (A) trains.

That's not how it works at all...

Idea:

(C) gets the R68s from the (N)(W), (G), and (B), along with the five-car R179 sets.

(J)(Z) and (G) get the 8-car R179 sets.

The remaning R32s are assigned in the former R68 slots on the (B) and (N)(W).

Basically it'll look like this:

C: 14 R68s and 4 R179s
G: 13 R179s
J/Z: 15 R179s and 5 R160s
B: 19 R68As and 6 R32s
N/W: 30 R160s and 3 R32s
A: 37 R46s and 1 R68A

This will allow the (G) to be 8 cars and the (C) to be full length.

Idea:

(C) gets the R68s from the (N)(W), (G), and (B), along with the five-car R179 sets.

That's almost perfect except that R32s are definitely banned from the (N)(W).

Idea:

What are you going to do with the surplus of R160A-1's under this proposal and aren't the R32's banned from the B,D,N,Q, and R lines?