R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The R160's were scrapped from (A) in the past because of the power supply difference out in the rockaways. LIPA provides the power out there not ConEd.

Don't they have power gaps on the line there which is why they can't use a 4 car R32 for the RPK (S)?

Edited by R68OnBroadway

I know this may be off topic but I can't get my head wrapped around on why the (A) "needs" or will be assigned the odd ball amount of R-179's. Yeah I know there are odd balls on the (A) already a Hippo or two and the workhorse but why not Jamaica get the few cars thus making that yard exclusively NTT and that would move the R46's that pop on the (F) every now and then or the few on the (R) making Pitkin entirely R-46's.

So what I'm trying to say is:

207th (C) 100% R-179 eventually

Pitkin (A) 100% R-46 (currently is 95% 46's with the odd Hippo or two + a 32).

Jamaica 100% NTT?

I know nothing is set in stone and subject to change as we know from past experiences and situations but it would be more uniformed having one fleet of R types to maintain rather than a few.

I know this may be off topic but I can't get my head wrapped around on why the (A) "needs" or will be assigned the odd ball amount of R-179's. Yeah I know there are odd balls on the (A) already a Hippo or two and the workhorse but why not Jamaica get the few cars thus making that yard exclusively NTT and that would move the R46's that pop on the (F) every now and then or the few on the (R) making Pitkin entirely R-46's.

So what I'm trying to say is:

207th (C) 100% R-179 eventually

Pitkin (A) 100% R-46 (currently is 95% 46's with the odd Hippo or two + a 32).

Jamaica 100% NTT?

I know nothing is set in stone and subject to change as we know from past experiences and situations but it would be more uniformed having one fleet of R types to maintain rather than a few.

Those 10 car R179's won't be enough to make Jamaica 100% NTT unless I'm assuming you mean CI gives up their R160's to Jamaica? And if that were to happen what are you going to do with the excess amount of R46's? Put them on the C?

Will the J train still be running R32's while the r179's are being delivered?

Once the A train gets the R179'S five car set delivered will a majority of R46's still be running on that line.

All r32's will be displaced from the A, C,J and Z once the r179's are delivered. All r32's will be retired after work is completed in the Canarsie Tube and L train service is completely restored.

The r46's will continue run on the A until the delivery of r211.

All r32's will be displaced from the A, C,J and Z once the r179's are delivered. All r32's will be retired after work is completed in the Canarsie Tube and L train service is completely restored.

So just put the 110 - 164 R32 cars should go on the (B) in the meantime

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Let's not return to beating a dead horse about the "Rockaway power problems". That was fixed years ago. And iirc, the whole thing about the 160 moving from the A to the N was mostly political.

Think about it people: They test these trains out in the Rockaways! The power was increased when they were building the test track.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Let's not return to beating a dead horse about the "Rockaway power problems". That was fixed years ago. And iirc, the whole thing about the 160 moving from the A to the N was mostly political.

Think about it people: They test these trains out in the Rockaways! The power was increased when they were building the test track.

Oh, ok

Oh, and as far as the order for Four 10 car sets, its exactly to replace the two 32s and the borrowed 68. You think they wanna borrow that one concourse set every weekday? You think they like those two 32s on a line that has multiple terminals? There's a reason they only ordered 4.

Oh, and as far as the order for Four 10 car sets, its exactly to replace the two 32s and the borrowed 68. You think they wanna borrow that one concourse set every weekday? You think they like those two 32s on a line that has multiple terminals? There's a reason they only ordered 4.

K, I'm going to assume that those R32's are going to retire first

As far as when the 179s arrive? Or fleet retirement in general. If its the former, my money is on the 68 set first as the 32s come from the C. If its the latter, then of course, the 68s got about 20 more years left in them. But given that we already have one and the others will come in weeks apart, possibly all three will disappear from the A around the same time

Edited by Far Rock Depot

Those 10 car R179's won't be enough to make Jamaica 100% NTT unless I'm assuming you mean CI gives up their R160's to Jamaica? And if that were to happen what are you going to do with the excess amount of R46's? Put them on the C?

Figured that, those excess amounts could be used on the (G) or be used as spare sets. I would say less 46's on the road would be fine once the (C) is fully NTT in a few years I mean shit the 46's are over 40 lol

I think at that time, the N had consistently been ranked one of the worst subway lines by Straphangers (which is a joke, but, you know, politics).

Anything yet on when the 179's will start their 30 day testing period?

I spoke to one of the guys testing it a month ago and he said mid-September, but at the rate things are going God only knows.   :rolleyes:

I think at that time, the N had consistently been ranked one of the worst subway lines by Straphangers (which is a joke, but, you know, politics).

Well I remember the argument being on how most lines never gets new cars. So after a failed 30 day -even a faulty door indication light- is considered a breakdown and will reset the 30 clock- it was moved to the N to please the please the people. You know, the people, who in 2010 found about the V replacing the M along myrtle and not realizing that V or M, the route was going to now go up Sixth Ave. They assumed they were losing their service (all they heard was a discontinuation of the M). And didnt bother to read more.