R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rode the train, the interior is much more different than I expected it to be, what stood out was the different FIND and ceiling display, which I liked. They ride the same as the 143/160s, despite the different trucks. All three B div NTT car classes were running on the (J) line today, one set of 143s, couple of 160s and of course the 179s. They are nice but nothing special, I rode an 143 on the (L) home and said to myself, this is pretty similar to the 179s.

I'm still excited whenever they debut on the (A) & (C) line cause those routes haven't gotten new trains fresh out the factory in quite some time.

31 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I rode the train, the interior is much more different than I expected it to be, what stood out was the different FIND and ceiling display, which I liked. They ride the same as the 143/160s, despite the different trucks. All three B div NTT car classes were running on the (J) line today, one set of 143s, couple of 160s and of course the 179s. They are nice but nothing special, I rode an 143 on the (L) home and said to myself, this is pretty similar to the 179s.

I'm still excited whenever they debut on the (A) & (C) line cause those routes haven't gotten new trains fresh out the factory in quite some time.

Indeed. I'm moreso looking forward to riding them on the (A) Can't wait to ride a NTT up CPW express, especially when the train does that dip at around 103-110th street N/b.

15 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Indeed. I'm moreso looking forward to riding them on the (A) Can't wait to ride a NTT up CPW express, especially when the train does that dip at around 103-110th street N/b.

It will be nice to see the (A) finally get permanent NTTs, even if it's only a handful.  Assuming the 30-day test goes well the first time (don't want to jinx it), the production cars should start rolling in early next year.

4 minutes ago, D to 96 St said:

I rode it today, but not the first run. It looks much more wider than the R160s. Also the announcements were altered slightly, with Diane Thompson voicing "The Next Stop Is." The FIND also looked nice. 

Next stop... (A) and (C)!

The 'new' announcement for "The next stop is" is actually done by Kathleen Campion, and is the same one that is used on the (A) and (C).  Not sure why the MTA keeps playing around with the announcements, but so be it.  The new FINDs are laid out nicer than the R160s and the route indicator screen is larger.

4 hours ago, CTK246 said:

So no mechanical failure, just environmental interference?

Yup.  It's good to know that the brake system is working as intended.  As such, it went back into service about an hour later.  The real fun for this train will come tomorrow with the rush hour!

Just now, Bosco said:

The 'new' announcement for "The next stop is" is actually done by Kathleen Campion, and is the same one that is used on the (A) and (C).  Not sure why the MTA keeps playing around with the announcements, but so be it.  The new FINDs are laid out nicer than the R160s and the route indicator screen is larger.

Yup.  It's good to know that the brake system is working as intended.  As such, it went back into service about an hour later.  The real fun for this train will come tomorrow with the rush hour!

http://37814629364_c9899f337a.jpgIMG_0403 by Jacob Robles, on Flickr

http://38474597336_28dd2704f6.jpgIMG_0413 by Jacob Robles, on Flickr

See if you can tell the difference!

1 hour ago, Jchambers2120 said:

I'm looking forward to riding them out the Rockaways as I never been on a Tech Train out there. I rode a 160 on the Lefferts Blvd branch when their was a (F) to Lefferts weekend G.O a few years ago.

I ridden 160s on the CPW express when they had that (C) trains go express in both directions in Manthattan G.O, it was quite fast.

31 minutes ago, D to 96 St said:

http://37814629364_c9899f337a.jpgIMG_0403 by Jacob Robles, on Flickr

http://38474597336_28dd2704f6.jpgIMG_0413 by Jacob Robles, on Flickr

See if you can tell the difference!

The top pic is a 160 and the bottom is the 179.

36 minutes ago, P3F said:

How are the FINDs different?

R160 FINDs are manufactured by Koito; R179 FINDs are manufactured by Panasonic.

The R179 FINDs have larger LCD route indicator screens than the R160s.

From a photo on Facebook, it appears the LED screens for each stop are different.  The R160s have a 2-row screen for each station displaying the station on top and the transfers below; the R179s have 2 one-row screens, one for the station, and the other for the transfers.

The R179 FINDs look more neatly organized than the R160s, but part of this might be that they are still brand new.

Edited by Bosco

Safe to say that they did pretty damn well on their first day, outside of the train hitting debris(i think a milk crate or something) causing it to go BIE.

Let's hope that it stays that way.

I saw them heading to the yard from Jamaica Center around 7:45pm.

Edited by Cait Sith