R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To Lance: I believe "reputable" is the correct word in this case.

Anyways, this is great that Bombardier has won the contract... now all we're waiting for is news about the propulsion they will be installing on these things... I'm really hoping for some Bomb MITRAC here...

im hoping bom will use the ad tranz propulsion like in the 110b if its still available.

I know the design will be based on the R143/R160 design, but I wish it was radically different...MOVIA different. I visited some relatives in Toronto two weeks ago and had a chance to ride on the TTC's new Rocket train. Those trains are fantastic. They are extremely roomy; the ride was smooth and quiet. I think New Yorkers would love them. The costs of revamping the rail yards to accomodate articulated cars would be astronomical, though. :(

The contract doesn't specify. However, it says that a 10 car train will be tested. So if its ten cars, it'd most likely be two 5 car sets. And if they were to replace the R42s that run on the (J), then those would most likely be 4 car sets.

Jeez, how am I supposed to remember the exact number? Gosh! :rolleyes:

Oh, it's 47 R42's and 1 R40M that is married to an R42.

I thought all the R40Ms are retired?

If you guys have not been on the MTAs website, Yes the design will be based on the R143/160:

R179.jpg

http://www.governor....2MTA-Investment (Photo is from the MTA.info only)

Edited by mark1447

I thought all the R40Ms are retired?

If you guys have not been on the MTAs website, Yes the design will be based on the R143/160:

R179.jpg

http://www.governor....2MTA-Investment (Photo is from the MTA.info only)

That mismatched pair is a school car now, correction. A least it looks a little bit different.

I don't think the MTA would be so shortsighted as to order mostly 4-car sets that can only be used on one line. They'd wind up with a lot of Eastern Division extras. Plus, they would be a hassle in swapping with the (A) (or any other 600' line for that matter), if need be. I think the reason they ordered the amount they did is that they're going to keep the R32's until R211 time (2015-18). I figure they learned from the mass overscraping they just executed on the older cars. Once the 179's roll in they'll be able to put together 10-car sets of 32's; having enough spares to do so. I'll speculate and say that the 179's will go to Jamaica to make it all NTT, which will push the 46's to 207th. I figure the (C) will be R32/46 full length come 2015.

While everyone is talking about this in NYC the people in Plattsburg is extremely happy to have jobs to build more subway cars

MTA buying subway cars made upstate; protects jobs

By MICHAEL GORMLEY Associated Press

ALBANY, N.Y.—New York City's mass transit system will get more than 300 new subway cars in a contract that is expected to be a big economic boost for upstate's Plattsburgh area, where the deal will preserve 500 jobs.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced the $600 million contract with Montreal-based Bombardier on Wednesday. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority contract will provide stable, higher-paying manufacturing jobs for several years.

Cuomo said says the deal will keep 300 manufacturing jobs workers busy and support 200 more jobs from suppliers.

"We are one state and this shows how different regions of our state can support each other," Cuomo said. "We will continue to rebuild New York's vital infrastructure, creating jobs for hard-working New Yorkers and generating economic growth in all corners of the state."

The contract will provide work until late 2016, when the cars are due for delivery in New York City. Bombardier Vice President Robert Furniss also announced plans for a new Plattsburgh assembly plant.

"This is great news for a great workforce and a tremendous economic boost for Plattsburgh and the North Country Region," said Sen. Elizabeth O'C. Little, a Republican representing the North County.

The contract is part of two major statewide initiatives.

Earlier this week, Cuomo and legislative leaders agreed to fully fund the last three years of the MTA's five-year capital plan. The MTA plan will provide $13.1 billion for four massive projects now under way. The projects include new subway and rail cars, new energy-efficient buses, station rehabilitation, enhanced communications and signals, new rail yards, elevators and escalators, as well as major projects such as the Second Avenue subway.

The new "R179" cars will replace cars on the C Line that have been used since 1964. The new cars will have brighter lighting, better heat and air conditioning systems and digital voice announcements.

The average age of a subway car is 22 years; it will drop to under 20 when the new cars are operating.

The Bombardier contract is also the type of infrastructure and manufacturing objective planned for Cuomo's New York Works program. The plan pools capital borrowing and funds from state agencies and authorities, like the MTA, to focus on major regional jobs-producing plans.

The MTA deal will also be funded in part by $306 million in federal money.

Earlier this month, the state Labor Department released data that shows New York in a continued, but slow economic recovery. From January 2011 to January 2012, the number of private-sector jobs grew by 1.7 percent in New York state and by 2.3 percent in New York City. At the same time, unemployment rose from 8.2 percent to 8.3 percent in New York state and from 8.9 percent to 9.3 percent in New York City.

http://www.yorkdispa...e-protects-jobs

This acts as confirmation that the C line will be getting the R179's. That means the A line will get the R46's until they get replaced by the R211's.

Edited by Roadcruiser1

Guest Lance

Actually, that could be read as the R179s are simply replacing the cars that serve the C-line right now, not that the C will be getting those new cars.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here.

I do have a related question that's been on my mind all day - if the C-line does get the R46s, where would they be maintained? If I recall correctly, 207th Street can't handle 75-foot cars (the exact reason why escapes me at the moment). And I can't imagine Pitkin having to or wanting to deal with that many cars.

The C will be getting R179s as the R179s will be the appropriate length for C train service(480 feet). I suppose it is theoretically possible that all R179s will go to East New York and a number of R160s will head over to 207/Pitkin for the C, but I would think that is rather unlikely. The R179 order is intended to replace ALL remaining 60 foot SMEEs.

On another note, I do not believe that 4665-4460 are in any use at all right now, just being stored at CI.

They could always change the color of the front to blue

or red like MNRR smile.png But the car body, will basically be the new 'standard' sad.png

I know i'm late on this, but what if there was Arts For Transit on them?

The C will be getting R179s as the R179s will be the appropriate length for C train service(480 feet). I suppose it is theoretically possible that all R179s will go to East New York and a number of R160s will head over to 207/Pitkin for the C, but I would think that is rather unlikely. The R179 order is intended to replace ALL remaining 60 foot SMEEs.

On another note, I do not believe that 4665-4460 are in any use at all right now, just being stored at CI.

The only lines that the 4-car sets will be going to are the J/Z. The rest will be 5-car sets and where they go is still in question. Though it's obvious that the later cars will go to the Q for SAS expansion.

All I'm doing is just waiting until the MTA places them some where, rather then hearing rumors on where they should go. Unless the rumors come directly from the T/A..

I do hope they can make it to the A and or C, but that I don't know.

I would give some to the SIRTOA as well, to get them over with, instead of giving them R46s or R68s.

Edited by mark1447

It isn't possible, its damn near certain. the J doesn't need the entirety of an entire 200+ car order, so where else would they go?

Also, the A doesn't need hand me down R46s, as it already has a full fleet of them!. Considering that the R179s will be on the C, I think it makes sense to stick the few 5 car sets on the A, to streamline parts in either 207 or Pitkin, wherever they end up assigned to.

260 in 5 car sets, 40 in 4 car sets was never a plan to my knowledge.

I would assume the reason for the C not going to 600 feet is that they do not wish to purchase the additional cars which would be required for such.

for the C go 600ft they would need 40 extra 2 cars extra cars for every C train, i think 5 car units could go to coney Island for the Q Line (2nd Avenue Extension)

Like I've been saying, I think it is shortsighted to limit the C to just 480' car trains because "that's all that's needed". Sure it won't see the jump in ridership the L has where it needed more trains to meet the demand, but at least if they have more cars now, they can always order fewer in the future. The C is needed more in Manhattan than Brooklyn. If it's so much about 'meeting demand' then have 600' car C trains and short turn some at WTC with the E or 2nd Av with the F and have the trains going to Euclid on slightly extended headways [maybe add an extra min or 2 b/w each train per hour]. That way the A and C can both be 600' trains and be interchangeable.

SI, doesn't need newer trains as bad, imo compared to the city. R68s would be more ideal to replace the R44s: 75' cars and those could be split into 2 car trains and with those 9 singles from the Franklin S, you can insert them into a set to make them 5 car trains for rush hours. In turn R46 aa pairs can be sent to Franklin till those stations are ready to be renovated [and the platforms imo should be extended to at least 300' lengths].