R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

37 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

1 and stagnating 

"Honey, where's my R179s?" said a straphanger, waiting for an in-service train to arrive. 

26 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

In news i had to pinch myself to make sure was really happening, 3066-3069 have been spotted on the New Jersey side of the GWB for delivery.

Another set, another to mess up horribly. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

In news I had to pinch myself to make sure was really happening, 3066-3069 have been spotted on the New Jersey side of the GWB for delivery.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is this surprising? Yeah, cars will be delivered until they are all on MTA property.

6 hours ago, rbrome said:

Speaking for myself, I thought deliveries wouldn't resume until the current 30-day test was passed. I guess that's not how it works. I'm surprised but glad. We need these in service ASAP.

I have two theories here. One, someone at Transit may have felt comfortable with the progress of the testing, or the second, which is that the delivery was confirmed before the 179 test train began operating in service and Transit just decided to accept the cars anyhow. I think the second theory is more likely.

Can non-test trainsets be delivered without being "accepted"? Perhaps Bombardier is physically delivering more trains, but the MTA is simply not taking ownership yet. They're still owned by Bombardier, and Bombardier will have to send techs to make any changes (revealed to be necessary by the ongoing testing) onsite before the MTA "accepts" them. Can it work that way? Is that what's happening?

I'm pretty sure that the reason why the MTA is getting production cars (if you can call them that) in now is that once the 179s pass their acceptance tests, they can get them in service ASAP to increase service and start retiring the R42s and worst-performing R32s considering how delayed delivery has been.

Edited by R68OnBroadway

On 12/10/2017 at 7:21 PM, trainfan22 said:

Train is getting more bad publicity in the media, they even used the L word.

People are fickle once they work out the kinks and get em into full service they'll forget all about the extra year. At this point, they just need to take there time and to get it right. There just filling the News cycle.

Because more cars came in last night, it's obvious the 30 day test means absolutely nothing because transit spokesmen have told us that production cars were to begin to come in after the 30 day test was successfully completed.

I just hope we wind up with a reliable car and all the bugs are worked out.  But the regenerative braking feature, touted having power returned to the third rail during braking, was paid for as part of the manufacturing process, will be permanently disabled.

19 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Because more cars came in last night, it's obvious the 30 day test means absolutely nothing because transit spokesmen have told us that production cars were to begin to come in after the 30 day test was successfully completed.

I just hope we wind up with a reliable car and all the bugs are worked out.  But the regenerative braking feature, touted having power returned to the third rail during braking, was paid for as part of the manufacturing process, will be permanently disabled.

Wha? Why.. So you mean to tell me 5 classes of older cars are more power efficient? I understand the return to the rail is not 100% and rheostatic is there as well...but permanently disabled? Are they offering a price adjustment? to the MTA? That's not what they paid for.

2 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

But the regenerative braking feature, touted having power returned to the third rail during braking, was paid for as part of the manufacturing process, will be permanently disabled.

Why? Does it not work as advertised?

When will someone at the MTA grow a backbone and enforce a contract? (Or perhaps the issue is writing a good contract in the first place?)

AFAIK the regen on the R179s currently do not feed power back into the third rail "correctly" (something about incorrect power bands or whatnot), and have "blown up" several transformers during testing lol.

You have to remember that the R142 regen was disabled for a period of time when they first came in as well. I am sure that with ample time, the regen issue on the R179s will be fixed.

Edited by Fan Railer

4 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I'm pretty sure that the reason why the MTA is getting production cars (if you can call them that) in now is that once the 179s pass their acceptance tests, they can get them in service ASAP to increase service and start retiring the R42s and worst-performing R32s considering how delayed delivery has been.

Might be awhile for retirements, (C) is to go full length so they are gonna need extra cars. Those R42's might be on the (A) and (C) before retirement.

41 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

AFAIK the regen on the R179s currently do not feed power back into the third rail "correctly" (something about incorrect power bands or whatnot), and have "blown up" several transformers during testing lol.

You have to remember that the R142 regen was disabled for a period of time when they first came in as well. I am sure that with ample time, the regen issue on the R179s will be fixed.

Fan Railer you've been around these forums for a long long time so you know the routine. I also remember the R142's issues when they first hit the road because I operated them so I'm neither surprised nor disappointed. Maybe because it's almost Christmas and the youngsters are getting antsy ? I've pretty much given up trying to correct some of the posters and left it up to folks like Lance, Daniel, you and the active RTO folk. When I see posters calling equipment " hippo" and " baby hippo"or folks getting worked up over countdown clocks I steer clear of those convos. Track , signals, regenerative braking, the nuts and bolts if you will,are what matters most to me. Keep up the informative posts. Carry on.

22 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

Gotcha... can/going to be fixed and permanently disabled are two vastly different things. Especially when agencies are priding themselves in sustainability and savings. For a almost 300 car order that would've been sorta crazy. I don't know how many penalties are left to even give Bombardier at this point. B-)

2 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Gotcha... can/going to be fixed and permanently disabled are two vastly different things. Especially when agencies are priding themselves in sustainability and savings. For a almost 300 car order that would've been sorta crazy. I don't know how many penalties are left to even give Bombardier at this point. B-)

Just conveniently forgotten about perhaps?