R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 hour ago, Fan Railer said:

On another note, it sounds like a recent software update has changed the pitch curve of the traction inverters. Listen for the second pitch change in this video:

I thought i heard that while on the train today... Good thing to know i wan't hallucinating it.:lol:

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/27/2017 at 1:29 PM, JayJay85 said:

I heard the same thing too, That the order was modified to include more B cars and less A cars, its like the order was changed to 80 cars in 4car units and 220 cars in 5car sets.

Honestly, it would have made a lot more sense to have ordered more 5-car sets, so a 220/80 split would have been better overall. But unless there’s anything official from the MTA, I won’t believe it till I see it.

18 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

Is it possible for the MTA to recoupe the R179's?

What do you mean? Do they get to keep the trains? If not, no way they'd do that. I'd be unsurprised if they do sue for damages due to having to keep older trains for longer, or some such.

4 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Honestly, it would have made a lot more sense to have ordered more 5-car sets, so a 220/80 split would have been better overall. But unless there’s anything official from the MTA, I won’t believe it till I see it.

At the time they were ordered it was proper.

Since then with the order being YEARS late and the decision to have 600' trains on the C, the needs for the service have changed.

I just got home from working about 15 minutes ago which would be 0650 hours and a friend of mines friend works at Bombardier in CNY & Upstate NY, to keep a short story short and my friend isn't a buff at all but said the "NYCT order for new trains was modified." Can anyone confirm this? This conversation took place last evening before I started my shift at 2200.

4 hours ago, 2 Train Master said:

I just got home from working about 15 minutes ago which would be 0650 hours and a friend of mines friend works at Bombardier in CNY & Upstate NY, to keep a short story short and my friend isn't a buff at all but said the "NYCT order for new trains was modified." Can anyone confirm this? This conversation took place last evening before I started my shift at 2200.

Nobody has confirmed this but it is definitely the word on the street.

14 hours ago, quadcorder said:

What do you mean? Do they get to keep the trains? If not, no way they'd do that. I'd be unsurprised if they do sue for damages due to having to keep older trains for longer, or some such.

What I mean is to recouple the sets, for example recouple a few 4 car sets into 5 car sets. Then you figure out what to do with the surplus of trains

1 hour ago, LGA Link N train said:

What I mean is to recouple the sets, for example recouple a few 4 car sets into 5 car sets. Then you figure out what to do with the surplus of trains

5 4-car sets could be converted into two 10-car trains as follows: recouple four 4-car sets as two 5-car sets and two 3-car sets. Then run two 10-car trains: 5-5 and 3-4-3.

3 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

On this 3-4-3 set, where would the conductor go?

Hmm, perhaps 4-3-3 so the conductor can be only 10% away from the middle of the platform. (Or recouple the last set too 5-2-3.) Regardless, I'm curious to know if they're capable of running sets with six A cars.

5 minutes ago, quadcorder said:

Hmm, perhaps 4-3-3 so the conductor can be only 10% away from the middle of the platform. (Or recouple the last set too 5-2-3.) Regardless, I'm curious to know if they're capable of running sets with six A cars.

You would need new conductor boards. It would cause more trouble to do all of this.

4 hours ago, quadcorder said:

The procedure is with a 600' train, the conductor is in the middle with needing to see 300' on his left and 300' on his right.  Any diversion of this practice would not only requiring new c/r boards being put up all over, plus you would need more "TV screens" put up in places where the c/r view would be obstructed.............another very expensive undertaking.

6 minutes ago, Dj Hammers said:

Contrary to unsubstantiated rumors otherwise, the R179s have passed their 30-day test!

Woo!!!!!!!!!

Also now expect some diehard 5-year old foamers to be like “omg R179 should be thrown in ocean and R32 and R42 should be rehabbed and stay forever11!1!1!1!”

Edited by R68OnBroadway

1 hour ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

I don't think they'll need to test... They can probably just go straight into service if I'm not mistaken. I'm guessing more R179s will be rolling in throughout the next couple of days?

I’m sure those sets tested already, I don’t see why they wouldn’t put them in service after simulated revenue testing. 

4 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

Contrary to unsubstantiated rumors otherwise, the R179s have passed their 30-day test!

Impossible. After the November 30th mishap, the train didn't go back into service until December 6th. Technically, the test isn't over until January 4th.