R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

11 minutes ago, LTA1992 said:

Impossible. After the November 30th mishap, the train didn't go back into service until December 6th. Technically, the test isn't over until January 4th.

The failure review board reviewed the details on what happened. Based on the nature of the issue, it was decided that the clock would not be reset upon resumption of testing on the 6th.

Hence the train has completed its 30 day test. Notice that the delivery and testing of production cars is already underway.

Edited by Dj Hammers

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, subwaycommuter1983 said:

In that case, let's start preparing those swan songs for the r42s. They'll be retired in a matter of weeks.

From what I'm hearing, the R42s might be here for a little while longer, just not on the (j).

3 minutes ago, MTA Bus said:

From what I'm hearing, the R42s might be here for a little while longer, just not on the (j).

(A)h, really? 

(A)ctually, I’ve heard that too. 

(P.S - Even if wh(A)t I’ve heard is wrong, they will have to stay on the (M) Shuttle until the full line re-opens, so they are guaranteed to be around thru Spring 2018. 

Edited by R42N

10 minutes ago, Dj Hammers said:

The failure review board reviewed the details on what happened. Based on the nature of the issue, it was decided that the clock would not be reset upon resumption of testing on the 6th.

Hence the train has completed its 30 day test. Notice that the delivery and testing of production cars is already underway.

Know anything about car assignments? They’re serious business, as you know.

14 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

In that case, let's start preparing those swan songs for the r42s. They'll be retired in a matter of weeks.

Not necessarily actually! :D

Unless plans change, they’ll be around for the Canarsie shutdown. Overall car requirements will increase during the shutdown

6 minutes ago, CTK246 said:

Know anything about car assignments? They’re serious business, as you know.

I’m very well acquainted with the actual car assignment plans being worked on jointly by Ops Planning and Car Equipment - I’m somewhat involved in the process. I can’t really talk in detail about them publicly yet. They are indeed “Serious business” :P lol

Edited by Dj Hammers

1 minute ago, Dj Hammers said:

I’m very well acquainted with the actual car assignment plans being worked on jointly by Ops Planning and Car Equipment - I’m somewhat involved in the process. I can’t really talk in detail about them publicly yet. They are indeed “Serious business” :P lol

Initiates Speculation

Just now, Bosco said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see 3050-3057 on the (J) very soon, but what about 3010-3019?  Last time someone saw that set was on Brighton, and it was just 3010-3014.  Where is 3015-3019?

All ten cars are on property... that ten car set is filled with all sorts of bugs.

2 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

Not necessarily actually! :D

Unless plans change, they’ll be around for the Canarsie shutdown. Overall car requirements will increase during the shutdown

I notice the rumors I heard from the inside the TA that R179 order will be mostly 5 car units, it was modified recently. 

23 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

If so, then bring on the production R179s!

23 hours ago, MTA Bus said:

Well yes, they’ll still be on the M shuttle. 

On 12/29/2017 at 10:57 PM, Dj Hammers said:

That....sounds like cheating. Literally. While I do hope for the cars success, I feel like that was done in order to anymore unneeded press.

But what do I know?

22 minutes ago, LTA1992 said:

That....sounds like cheating. Literally. While I do hope for the cars success, I feel like that was done in order to anymore unneeded press.

But what do I know?

Look at it this way.....the R142s never legally passed. They fixed the issues with the cars as they came in.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

That's the process for every car order

To not legally pass their tests?

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Look at it this way.....the R142s never legally passed. They fixed the issues with the cars as they came in.

You know, I did not know that. Totally new info that I have somehow never seen. Thanks for that.

Mind you, they became some of the best running cars. It's just another reason for me to continue along with the confidence that this order will follow suit.

Edited by LTA1992

They probably rushed the bomb 142 order because most of the redbird car classes other than the 33ML/WF were in real bad shape and needed to be replaced ASAP, they were jokingly called "rustbirds" and people were regularly getting killed on the cars due to getting dragged in the doors. Whatever issues bomb 142s had early on probably wasn't a threat to the passengers safety and the TA probably thought they were better off with buggy 142s rather than dangerous Redbirds which were a PR nightmare at the time, they was always on the news because riders kept getting dragged in the doors.

22 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

They probably rushed the bomb 142 order because most of the redbird car classes other than the 33ML/WF were in real bad shape and needed to be replaced ASAP, they were jokingly called "rustbirds" and people were regularly getting killed on the cars due to getting dragged in the doors. Whatever issues bomb 142s had early on probably wasn't a threat to the passengers safety and the TA probably thought they were better off with buggy 142s rather than dangerous Redbirds which were a PR nightmare at the time, they was always on the news because riders kept getting dragged in the doors.

In addition to that, the R142As had their share of major teething issues as well, having to be pulled from service along with the R142s:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/17/nyregion/new-subway-cars-show-flaws-and-are-removed-for-repairs.html

I remember all that. The old SubTalk message board on NYC Subway Resources was constantly buzzing over the R142 and R142A teething troubles back then. Plenty of posters cheering every time R142 deliveries got delayed or whenever R142s or R142As got pulled out of service (oh, those crazy foamers!).

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

I took a look at those archives some time ago just out of curiosity's sake and I'll tell you, they're good for a laugh. If one were to go by some of the comments regarding these then-new trains, you'd believe they were the 44s and 46s of the new millennium, nothing but useless lemons that weren't cut out for real service. It's actually quite amusing that as time goes on, some things remain the same.

18 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I remember all that. The old SubTalk message board on NYC Subway Resources was constantly buzzing over the R142 and R142A teething troubles back then. Plenty of posters cheering every time R142 deliveries got delayed or whenever R142s or R142As got pulled out of service (oh, those crazy foamers!).

Just wait when the R211's start getting delivered and the foamers go crazy over the death of the R32's

2 hours ago, Lance said:

I took a look at those archives some time ago just out of curiosity's sake and I'll tell you, they're good for a laugh. If one were to go by some of the comments regarding these then-new trains, you'd believe they were the 44s and 46s of the new millennium, nothing but useless lemons that weren't cut out for real service. It's actually quite amusing that as time goes on, some things remain the same.

I think some of the posters on SubTalk really believed they were. Or the R16s of the new millennium. The first couple hundred R142s built (not delivered, because a lot of them were delivered out of sequence) had the same numbers as the R16s. 

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Just wait when the R211's start getting delivered and the foamers go crazy over the death of the R32's

Probably so, especially on SubChat. Though I didn’t seem to see all that much cheering over there about the R179s being late or pulled out of service (and none here; just frustration) so who knows?

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue