R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Fan Railer said:

Nothing is official until it ACTUALLY happens ;)

True, also, keep in mind that the G currently doesn't have that many subway cars, very few actually, so if the r68s are displaced from the G , they'll probably be used to add service to other lines, not to displace other cars from other lines.

23 minutes ago, B46 via Utica said:

The 42s could possibly go to C.I as well aren't the 42s very frowned upon(possibly banned) from 207 st yard.

The R42's aren't banned from 207th st, they just can't run 8 car R42 C trains no more. 

If CIY gets em they can only run on the (B). The (G) if it were to be 10 cars

13 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The R42's will likely go to the (A) as well.

Why? Just to make the longest line a rolling stock mess like the (J) is now with 5 different types? Not if (MTA) is really trying to be as uniform as possible. 

R32s on the (A) along with 10-car R179s and remaining R46s is reasonable, but throwing in 4 derelict and dilapidated R42s that will just break down non-stop seems more like a railfan fantasy than a logical move. In fact, if I remember reading correctly, R42s have a lower MDBF than even the older R32s, not to mention those rusty and leaking roofs. 

43 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

If CIY gets em they can only run on the (B). The (G) if it were to be 10 cars

What do you mean? Last I checked, 42s run in married pairs and can easily be 8 or 10 car trains.

Edited by U-BahnNYC

2 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Why? Just to make the longest line a rolling stock mess like the (J) is now with 5 different types? Not if (MTA) is really trying to be as uniform as possible. 

R32s on the (A) along with 10-car R179s and remaining R46s is reasonable, but throwing in 4 derelict and dilapidated R42s that will just break down non-stop seems more like a railfan fantasy than a logical move. In fact, if I remember reading correctly, R42s have a lower MDBF than even the older R32s, not to mention those rusty and leaking roofs. 

What do you mean? Last I checked, 42s run in married pairs and can easily be 8 or 10 car trains.

If the r42s do stay for the tunnel closure it will only run most likely during rush hour, on the lines that may see the biggest overcrowding.  It may go to the G, or may stay on the J,Z. We just have to wait and see in that aspect.

13 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

I agree with this completely, especially the first sentence.

40 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

They're gonna have to use the R42s somewhere... We're gonna be short without them until Canarsie is over.

41 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

The conductor boards won't line up with where the conductor's controls are on the 42s.

7 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

True, also, keep in mind that the G currently doesn't have that many subway cars, very few actually, so if the r68s are displaced from the G , they'll probably be used to add service to other lines, not to displace other cars from other lines.

Wouldn’t be funny if the (G) just stayed assigned with R68’s/A’s just arranged in 8 car sets... 

7 hours ago, B46 via Utica said:

The 42s could possibly go to C.I as well aren't the 42s very frowned upon(possibly banned) from 207 st yard.

Coney Island is not getting odd ball spares. Those pieces of trash are likely to be 207th’s problem... the same why they dumped the R40’s  on the (A) in 2009-2010. 

7 minutes ago, VIP said:

Coney Island is not getting odd ball spares. Those pieces of trash are likely to be 207th’s problem... the same why they dumped the R40’s  on the (A) in 2009-2010. 

I doubt it, but let's see what happens. All final assignments will depends on how many r179's are delivered by the time the tunnel work begins. 

6 hours ago, VIP said:

Coney Island is not getting odd ball spares. Those pieces of trash are likely to be 207th’s problem...

It bewilders me, though, how the largest and best equipped yard can't deal with "pieces of trash." Surely it's the best yard for those "pieces of trash" since they'll constantly need maintenance, no?

Edited by U-BahnNYC

35 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

It bewilders me, though, how the largest and best equipped yard can't deal with "pieces of trash." Surely it's the best yard for those "pieces of trash" since they'll constantly need maintenance, no?

Never said it wasn’t the best yard. I just said the remaining 50 R42’s look like trash. How they run has nothing to do with cosmetic depletion. 

13 hours ago, VIP said:

I just said the remaining 50 R42’s look like trash

They do. And they run like trash. Which is why I can't see a monetary or practical benefit to keeping 50 cars around when we'll have a surplus once the R179 order is complete...

20 hours ago, VIP said:

Wouldn’t be funny if the (G) just stayed assigned with R68’s/A’s just arranged in 8 car sets... 

There aren't enough R68/As to go around for that.  Remember, it's full-length trains plus a bump in service.  The only way they can do that along with accommodating everything else is to use 480' trains.

To bring the discussion back to the R179s specifically, is there any reason there haven't been any additional 5-car deliveries?  If we established that the R42s likely aren't going anywhere until after the shutdown--and considering that even then, there are a good amount of 4-car R179s that have been delivered already--how come we haven't seen any 5-car deliveries?

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

To bring the discussion back to the R179s specifically, is there any reason there haven't been any additional 5-car deliveries?  If we established that the R42s likely aren't going anywhere until after the shutdown--and considering that even then, there are a good amount of 4-car R179s that have been delivered already--how come we haven't seen any 5-car deliveries?

If I had to guess, they probably want to completely iron out the issues with 3010-3019 before accepting more 5-car sets. 

Edited by S78 via Hylan

1 hour ago, m7zanr160s said:

It's hard for me to believe that 3010-3019 are still have issues when they're the 179's with the most milage; IINM, they were delivered first. My theory is that they're being used to conduct a wide range of test...

Per some people here, they have been doing additional testing on that set, but the fact of the matter is 3010-3019 and 3050-3057 were noticeably different from the rest of the cars when they first arrived.

One of the ways Bombardier agreed to do damage control was to start building the production sets even before 3010-3019 entered service (which as of this posting, is not happening in the foreseeable future).  As issues came up with that set, they were taken into account while the production sets were built, and some modifications were made even after they were delivered to 207 St.  The only 'test' train that was good enough for revenue testing was 3058-3065, and even that set had noticeable issues while testing.  This should explain why 3010-3019 and 3050-3057 are still testing, why 3058-3065 was the first set to enter service, and why the production sets entered service so shortly after the 30-day test concluded.

I have an impression that they'regoing to deliver all the 8 car r179's first and I wouldn't be surprised if 3050-3057 enters service before 3010-3019. 

Since we're getting extra 10 car trains, I think more testing and tweeking needs to be done on 3010-3019.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

I think that the reason why no 5-car sets have been delivered yet is because the (J) will be fully NTT for the shutdown. The (A)(B)(C)(G) on the other hand, won't. 

After all 4-car sets are in service on the (J)(Z), that's when production/deliveries of the 5-car sets will most likely start. As of now, no assignments have occured between CI and 207 St.