3010-3019

3050-3057

3078-3081

3110-3113 

Potential deliveries:

3020-3029

3102-3109 

3114-3117 

I don't know the other 5-car numbers, besides 3010-3049, obviously. There are 24 5-car sets now instead of 8 originally, but I'm guessing the other 5-car sets will utilize the higher/greater numbers that were supposed to be used for the 4-car sets. 

It is good to see that progress is being made. Hopefully, there's no more issues that may cause more delays in delivery.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Definitely, the 4 car sets are in better shape.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other 5 car sets enter service before 3010-3019.

The reason, as has been discussed, is that the priority is to get enough 4-car sets here to make ENY 100% NTT.  Otherwise, there's no reason since even though 3010-3019 have the most issues, the 5-car sets are mechanically the same as the 4-car sets.

4 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

A while ago lol

Yeah, that set, along with 3078-3085 arrived before they even had a chance to start burn-in testing because of the e-brake valve issue.  3098-3101 was the last set to have done some testing before that happened.

Wouldn't 3070-3077 be next to be delivered or does that set still need modifications?

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

The reason, as has been discussed, is that the priority is to get enough 4-car sets here to make ENY 100% NTT.  Otherwise, there's no reason since even though 3010-3019 have the most issues, the 5-car sets are mechanically the same as the 4-car sets.

Yes, and it makes sense that way in the event that there are more delays in delivery, then at least we can count on the 4 car r179s when the Canarsie tunnel closes.

But the best thing to happen is that all r179s are delivered and in service before the tunnel closes, so that we have a surplus of subway cars.

If all goes well, don't be surprised if multiple cars are delivered per day to accelerate things, which has happened and would make life easier.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

1 minute ago, trainfan22 said:

If it's entering service soon, I hope they have that set stop by Cararsie Yard for a bath as that set is very dirty with bird poop and such all over the cars.

Canarsie has a car wash? The (L) 's R143s are always covered in sh*t, dirt, and dried water stains whenever I see them. I understand trains must be run often, but why can't they run the set through the wash every other night or at least twice a week?

Just now, R68OnBroadway said:

Canarsie has a car wash? The (L) 's R143s are always covered in sh*t, dirt, and dried water stains whenever I see them. I understand trains must be run often, but why can't they run the set through the wash every other night or at least twice a week?

Yep, in addtion to the (L) line fleet, cars from the (J) even the R32s and 42s go to Cararsie Yard for washing. They don't wash the cars during cold weather months cause parts of the train could get frozen, so train washes only happen during the warm weather months. 

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Yep, in addtion to the (L) line fleet, cars from the (J) even the R32s and 42s go to Cararsie Yard for washing. They don't wash the cars during cold weather months cause parts of the train could get frozen, so train washes only happen during the warm weather months. 

This may sound dumb, but is it possible they could have a "dryer room" or some sort of setting that sends out hot air to dry the cars? Do the dirt and grime all over the cars wear them down, in addition to making them appear terrible?

7 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

This may sound dumb, but is it possible they could have a "dryer room" or some sort of setting that sends out hot air to dry the cars? Do the dirt and grime all over the cars wear them down, in addition to making them appear terrible?

Dirt and grime only makes the cars look bad, it doesn't affect their performance.

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

The (L) 's R143s are always covered in sh*t, dirt, and dried water stains whenever I see them.

Why exactly do the R143s look so aged inside out? Compare them to an R142 and their interiors seem so much older and dirtier, even though their first cars were delivered two years later.

58 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Why exactly do the R143s look so aged inside out? Compare them to an R142 and their interiors seem so much older and dirtier, even though their first cars were delivered two years later.

The interiors of the 239th yard assigned 142 and the 142As/188s originally signed to the (6) are pretty rough looking as well, well on the interior at least. The (C) line's 160s look pretty bad cosmically as well.

CI and Unionport are the best yards in terms of keeping the NTT looking pretty, on the CI 160s, the windows at the end of the cars are clean and you can clearly see into the next car, where's 160s at the other yards those same windows are foggy/dirty.

The 143s are like 18 years old and they run on a busy line with high ridership, not surprised they are a little rough looking.

4 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

The (L) 's R143s are always covered in sh*t, dirt, and dried water stains whenever I see them.

To be fair those trains are put through the ringer. The (L) is packed by day with commuters and packed by night with partygoers, they probably see a lot more dirt than any of the other lines.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

The interiors of the 239th yard assigned 142 and the 142As/188s originally signed to the (6) are pretty rough looking as well, well on the interior at least. The (C) line's 160s look pretty bad cosmically as well.

CI and Unionport are the best yards in terms of keeping the NTT looking pretty, on the CI 160s, the windows at the end of the cars are clean and you can clearly see into the next car, where's 160s at the other yards those same windows are foggy/dirty.

The 143s are like 18 years old and they run on a busy line with high ridership, not surprised they are a little rough looking.

Unionport is just storage for 180 not to mention the two yards you named have car washes.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Those cars (R142/143) need an SMS already. I think the former Westchester NTTs got them when they were converted...

7 hours ago, Kanarsie Guy said:

Unionport is just storage for 180 not to mention the two yards you named have car washes.

Unionport and 180th are the same facility.

7 hours ago, VIP said:

Those cars (R142/143) need an SMS already. I think the former Westchester NTTs got them when they were converted...

Both the 142s and 143s got multiple sms already, all subway car classes get sms every six years. The 142As got mechanical upgrades when they was converted to 188s.