R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Vtrain said:

I wasn't nagging & not answering my own question, I just wanted to know on how many express trains would operate with 3tph.

Also, would those express trains be turned into V trains  since there will be less express trains & more local F trains.

-TPH means Trains per Hour. 3 TPH means 3 trains per hour, which means 20 minute headways.

-There probably won't be anything signed as (V) , but wait for the official plan to be released.

1 hour ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

That could work; the only question is whether the modification would be worth the cost.

I would suggest doing that for the new displays on the R160s instead.  Plus, even though the FIND screens are bigger on the R179s, they're still pretty small to display service status.

2 hours ago, Bosco said:

I would suggest doing that for the new displays on the R160s instead.  Plus, even though the FIND screens are bigger on the R179s, they're still pretty small to display service status.

What we the new displays look like on the R160s? 

6 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

That could work; the only question is whether the modification would be worth the cost.

The new screens on the R160's can easily display that at no such cost for having to actually modify anything too intense on the train.

Yep. MTA is adding Wi-Fi to the fleet soon, and it would be great to know the service status of a line before you actually get off the train. The R179's have a big enough find screen (although I don't know if they fixed that pix issue yet). The R160 FIND screens seem to be failing at this point in their age, all of them are either blanked out or glitched out.

The R160s will have wifi? When I went to the R211 open house in 34 St-Hudson yards, an MTA employee told me that the R211s won't have wifi because it's hard to get wifi in the tunnels.

I never saw the FIND on the R160s going blank or glitching out.

Back to the R179 topic:

3078-3081 and 3110-3113 are currently doing burn-in testing on the (J) recently. That set should enter service in a few weeks. 

3106-3109 have arrived in NYC, while 3114-3117 are testing in the Rockaways. 

The next cars to be delivered will probably be 3102-3105. However, we're still missing 3070-3077, but I can imply that they'll be the following deliveries. 

On 5/11/2018 at 3:21 PM, Coney Island Av said:

Back to the R179 topic:

3078-3081 and 3110-3113 are currently doing burn-in testing on the (J) recently. That set should enter service in a few weeks. 

3106-3109 have arrived in NYC, while 3114-3117 are testing in the Rockaways. 

The next cars to be delivered will probably be 3102-3105. However, we're still missing 3070-3077, but I can imply that they'll be the following deliveries. 

I thought I had a note here somewhere that 3102-05 showed up or were en route on April 13, right after the delivery freeze was lifted?

4 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

I thought I had a note here somewhere that 3102-05 showed up or were en route on April 13, right after the delivery freeze was lifted?

3102-3105+3114-3117 was transferred to ENY tonight for burn testing prior to entering service on the J.

3118-3121 should arrive this week. Stuff is moving along smoothly.

4 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

3102-3105+3114-3117 was transferred to ENY tonight for burn testing prior to entering service on the J.

3118-3121 should arrive this week. Stuff is moving along smoothly.

If this keeps up then we could have ALL 16 car sets by the end of August or September. 

Then we can start talking about the 5 cat sets.

2 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

If this keeps up then we could have ALL 16 car sets by the end of August or September. 

16 sets? That’s not enough of the 4-car order...

7 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

Awesome!! If things continue to work smoothly and no more issues occur we may have all r179's by the end of the year. Lets keep our fingers crossed!!! 

4 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Awesome!! If things continue to work smoothly and no more issues occur we may have all r179's by the end of the year. Lets keep our fingers crossed!!! 

End of the year?  Absolutely not.  Before the Canarsie shutdown?  Possible at the current rate, but let's remain "cautiously optimistic."  Don't want to jinx anything else.

12 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

Still missing 70-77?

Either that set was built with some of the old specs or is especially a lemon (one of the converted R188 sets actually took awhile to enter service IIRC).  Still, it's weird that we haven't heard anything about that set, especially with 3050-3057 now in service.

Edited by Bosco