R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

3 hours ago, j express said:

I notice the R179s don’t have Bluetooth installed. Looking at the (J) line on Subway time, I saw a 30 minute gap in SB service this afternoon but as I rode the NB (J) I saw two R179s in the gap which means the R179s aren’t on SubwayTime. Anyone notice this?

Old news.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, East New York said:

New Delivery Schedule: 316 cars on property by the end of January 2019.

Source: DCE

This is brilliant news! However, by the time fall rolls around, all four-car sets would've probably been delivered, and 3010-3019 would most likely enter revenue service at that point. 

With that being said, here is a video I took a few days ago of the R179s. 

11 hours ago, East New York said:

New Delivery Schedule: 316 cars on property by the end of January 2019.

Source: DCE

Ooh, looks like we'll be seeing some more soon.

Also, this means (L) shutdown will go as planned so it's a win-win.

Edited by KK 6 Ave Local
R179

12 hours ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

How many R179 TRAINS (not sets) are there currently in service and how many are here, but not in revenue?

So far:

6 8-car trains in service on the (J)

2 8-car trains testing

1 10-car train (3010-3019) being repaired by Bombardier

Any news on any recent r179 deliveries???

15 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

So far:

6 8-car trains in service on the (J)

2 8-car trains testing

1 10-car train (3010-3019) being repaired by Bombardier

Any news on any recent r179 deliveries???

Today, Andy Byford came to my school and told my friends and I that he's heading to Plattsburgh tomorrow to see how things are going with Bombardier and the R179's. I'll say, it was an honor to meet him

Edited by LGA Link N train

1 hour ago, LGA Link N train said:

Today, Andy Byford came to my school and told my friends and I that he's heading to Plattsburgh tomorrow to see how things are going with Bombardier and the R179's. I'll say, it was an honor to meet him

Do you go to Transit Tech?  Have major MTA people paid visits to there in the past?

1 hour ago, LGA Link N train said:

I have heard that that school is a complete joke.

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

Yeah, it is. The butterflies aren’t there. Byford should’be went to Stuy and reassure the Stuy Transit Association about the R179s and generally, all the transit stuff. 

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

Do you go to Transit Tech?  Have major MTA people paid visits to there in the past?

Yes I do. And I don't know if (MTA) people have visited Transit Tech in the past. 

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

I'll admit that it does have a 2/10 on greatschools.com. but from my personal experience so far, I actually like it. My main issues with it is that the school has many underutilized classrooms (which I heard one of them is being converted into a weight room), the school also provides internship opportunities and other things but people just don't take the advantage of it even though they have great potential. 

19 minutes ago, mine248 said:

Yeah, it is. The butterflies aren’t there. Byford should’be went to Stuy and reassure the Stuy Transit Association about the R179s and generally, all the transit stuff. 

Maybe he should've but there could be a reason as to why he chose Transit Tech of all schools.

8 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

Yes I do. And I don't know if (MTA) people have visited Transit Tech in the past. 

I'll admit that it does have a 2/10 on greatschools.com. but from my personal experience so far, I actually like it. My main issues with it is that the school has many underutilized classrooms (which I heard one of them is being converted into a weight room), the school also provides internship opportunities and other things but people just don't take the advantage of it even though they have great potential. 

Maybe he should've but there could be a reason as to why he chose Transit Tech of all schools.

Transit Tech's too far for it to even be a viable school for me. It's all the way by Euclid Av on the (A)(C), and I'm all the way in Harlem, three stops short of 168 St (the northern (C) terminal). If I went to school there, it would take me 50 minutes to get there. 

Byford probably chose Transit Tech because it was MTA-related. 

18 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Transit Tech's too far for it to even be a viable school for me. It's all the way by Euclid Av on the (A)(C), and I'm all the way in Harlem, three stops short of 168 St (the northern (C) terminal). If I went to school there, it would take me 50 minutes to get there. 

it takes me an hour or less to get there. I know people in Transit who come from North Bronx like about Tremont and the farest up is Gun Hill Road, so you're not the only one

50 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

Could be logical, yeah. He should really have a Twitter account where he can reassure MTA riders though. 

3 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Wait... do we live at the same stop?? I live at 145 (A)(B)(C)(D) 

Edited by KK 6 Ave Local

15 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

I could have done it. Even though I lived in Bath Beach. Why didn't I go?

I was not getting up at dawn to be somewhere (school) that I hated. So I settled for the better of my zoned options.