R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

11 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I think 3050 - 3057 went though the Canarsie Wash as it looked fairly clean and they was hooked up together after the being taken apart. One of the sets in 3050 - 3057 was hooked up to another 179 set running in service a couple days ago.

It wasn’t cleaned and it’s sitting at East New York yard OOS. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, VIP said:

It wasn’t cleaned and it’s sitting at East New York yard OOS. 

There are photos on Facebook though of one of the R179s going to the car wash.  Not sure about numbers though.

2 hours ago, EphraimB said:

According to an (MTA) employee, the R179s are NOT coming to the (A). All the 5-car R179s are going to the (F) to replace it's remaining R46s. The R32s and R46s are shared between the (A) and (C) to help with crowding on the (C). The (C) is NOT going to 10-cars.

Just because an individual is employed by transit doesn't necessarily mean they're absolutely correct about any questions posed by the public. Be cautious of who you trust.

According to an (MTA) employee, the R179s are NOT coming to the (A). All the 5-car R179s are going to the (F) to replace it's remaining R46s. The R32s and R46s are shared between the (A) and (C) to help with crowding on the (C). The (C) is NOT going to 10-cars.

That is very good to hear. 

The R179s are not CBTC-equipped. 309 sets of R160s will be CBTC-equipped for Queens Boulevard.

4 hours ago, EphraimB said:

Gossip and rumors float around the MTA just like other job, I remember years ago a TA employee posted a rumor that the 179 would replace the 46s AND the 68s, of course that didn't happen.

On 6/4/2018 at 5:06 PM, Coney Island Av said:

Transit Tech's too far for it to even be a viable school for me. It's all the way by Euclid Av on the (A)(C), and I'm all the way in Harlem, three stops short of 168 St (the northern (C) terminal). If I went to school there, it would take me 50 minutes to get there. 

Byford probably chose Transit Tech because it was MTA-related. 

Too far? Oh please I went from Bedford Park to Euclid daily think was late once when i attended TT in 2009/10 not bad of a commute because its one transfer and my buddy was coming from Gun Hill area on the 5 line. 

1 hour ago, djtoro7 said:

DJ Hammers, Fan Railer and Tech & Transit are the most reliable sources as far as I know 

Just because they're reliable doesn't make them right all the time. As we know nothing is set in stone than death and taxes. And thats nothing against them but just because one may say something doesnt mean its 100% accurate or will happen. 

4 hours ago, EphraimB said:

And to this I always thought the order of 5 csr sets should goto Jamaica to make QBL near or 100% NTT for potential CBTC meaning the 46s would be bumped to Pitkin and or CI in exchange for 160s/179 but we will see. The logic is keeping yards uniformed with one car type or two instead of having oddballs here and there for maintenance purposes.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

Why would jamaica get the R179's if theres only gonna be 120 10 car trainsets. It makes sense to put them on the (A). 

And the (C) is becoming full length before the shutdown 

That MTA employee told me that the 5-car R179s will only be enough for 4-5 trains.

11 minutes ago, EphraimB said:

That MTA employee told me that the 5-car R179s will only be enough for 4-5 trains.

There are 120 R179 cars that are going to be in 5 car sets. The spare factor for the newer subway cars is around 10-20 percent. Ideally, there would be 100 R179 cars in service during the rush at most which equals to 10 trains. I honestly think you are being told incorrect information by that MTA employee. 

Not a single 10-car R179 entered service, calm down. It’s been publicly announced that those cars will be assigned to 207th Street and East New York respectively. Every yard in NYCT will be UNIFORMED. That means 1 fleet or up to 2 fleet types per yard for cost efficient maintenance. That whole 3-4 different car classes in a yard will be a thing of the past... we should have known this when the R160’s damn near replaced 4 different fleets in one sitting. 

5 minutes ago, VIP said:

Not a single 10-car R179 entered service, calm down. It’s been publicly announced that those cars will be assigned to 207th Street and East New York respectively. Every yard in NYCT will be UNIFORMED. That means 1 fleet or up to 2 fleet types per yard for cost efficient maintenance. That whole 3-4 different car classes in a yard will be a thing of the past... we should have known this when the R160’s damn near replaced 4 different fleets in one sitting. 

Such uniformity will not — indeed cannot — be achieved until the 211s come along. Remember, we’re keeping some fraction of the 32 fleet along with all the stuff we have now. Beyond Canarsie, plans have Jamaica, Pitkin, Concourse, Canarsie and 207 being uniform, but CI and ENY not.  

As for the 179s, the (A) will indeed get the 5 car sets, while 46s go to the (C) for its full length conversion. Whatever you heard to the contrary, EphraimB, is almost certainly incorrect. That may have been the plan before the 179s got more 5 car sets, but it isn’t that now. 

5 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

The R179s are not CBTC-equipped. 309 sets of R160s will be CBTC-equipped for Queens Boulevard.

Speaking of which, while it's a ways from now and the priority (obviously) is just to get the R179s in service, is there a timeline for when they will get CBTC?  Perhaps after the shutdown?

19 minutes ago, VIP said:

Not to invalidate your point (there needs to be as much uniformity as possible; this was a problem for bus depots as well), but those 60' SMEEs shared many parts and could run together if need be.  It is only with the NTTs that there are so many drastic changes between car types, even ones that were built at the same time.  The R179s are far more different from the R160s than the R32s are from the R42s (mechanically/electrically speaking), which further demonstrates the need for uniformity.  Even if a yard like Jamaica were to get the 5-car sets, that would mean entirely new spare parts and maintenance procedures for a yard that's already overwhelmed.

Unfortunately, the 5-car R179s will be an oddball fleet for most of their lives, as there is no one line that can handle with just 12 trains and they are incompatible with the rest of the fleet.  It sucks, but there's nothing the MTA can do.

Edited by Bosco

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Why would jamaica get the R179's if theres only gonna be 120 10 car trainsets. It makes sense to put them on the (A). 

And the (C) is becoming full length before the shutdown 

I agree 100%. It's been mentioned 50 gazillion times. But then, the MTA may still make some last minute whacky decision in regards to the car assignments for the r179.