Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
East New York

R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Program Update effective 2/20/19

E70AE3B5-BCC7-4242-8958-215EA3B3E968.jpeg

2A3D4B44-9846-4D37-8FFE-88142B572B51.jpeg

844D9F11-6BFF-4B1B-A0AA-CEEF1E3D444B.jpeg

D143F871-E911-4F90-BF83-14B590D436A2.jpeg

018FCF27-0E25-47C4-8133-9E14E0160D65.jpeg

FCAB8EC7-FC4C-45EB-95CC-8F213A2E4F1E.jpeg

Message added by East New York

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Such uniformity will not — indeed cannot — be achieved until the 211s come along. Remember, we’re keeping some fraction of the 32 fleet along with all the stuff we have now. Beyond Canarsie, plans have Jamaica, Pitkin, Concourse, Canarsie and 207 being uniform, but CI and ENY not.  

As for the 179s, the (A) will indeed get the 5 car sets, while 46s go to the (C) for its full length conversion. Whatever you heard to the contrary, EphraimB, is almost certainly incorrect. That may have been the plan before the 179s got more 5 car sets, but it isn’t that now. 

Interesting fact Concourse yard has been the only yard that has been uniformed for the last 20-25 years and it's going to stay uniformed for a loooooonnnnggg time even after the r68's are replaced.

Sorry I went off topic but it's an interesting observation and I wonder if any one else notice this.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, EphraimB said:

That MTA employee told me that the 5-car R179s will only be enough for 4-5 trains.

They must not be aware of the order modification or it could be true. Simply odd balls at Jamaica. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2018 at 3:20 PM, EphraimB said:

According to an (MTA) employee, the R179s are NOT coming to the (A). All the 5-car R179s are going to the (F) to replace it's remaining R46s. The R32s and R46s are shared between the (A) and (C) to help with crowding on the (C). The (C) is NOT going to 10-cars.

I wonder what we should do next....ooh, let's put the R32s on the (E), R42s on the (Q), R46's on the (J), R143's on the (F), R160's on the Franklin (S), and R179's on the (L)!

Or heck, why don't we go a step further and put the R68s on the (M)??? 

Surely that would be a logical MTA car assignment right there.... :rolleyes: 

 

  • LMAO! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

I wonder what we should do next....ooh, let's put the R32s on the (E), R42s on the (Q), R46's on the (J), R143's on the (F), R160's on the Franklin (S), and R179's on the (L)!

Or heck, why don't we go a step further and put the R68s on the (M)??? 

Surely that would be a logical MTA car assignment right there.... :rolleyes: 

 

Please don’t start an argument 😭 the users will run with it 😭😭😭

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, R179 8258 said:

Please don’t start an argument 😭 the users will run with it 😭😭😭

Sorry, that response of mine was sarcastic, as evidenced by the roll-eyes emotion at the end of my statement. I don't actually advocate for it (obviously) and I clearly know that actual "assignments" are very controversial.

Anyways, back to the R179 topic. 

3122-3125 allegedly arrived according to wikipedia, but wasn't reported on this forum for some odd reason.

 

 

Edited by Coney Island Av

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the news concerning the 5-car sets? Have any of them returned from Bombardier yet? I've been gone for a while...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, U-BahnNYC said:

What's the news concerning the 5-car sets? Have any of them returned from Bombardier yet? I've been gone for a while...

3015-3019 is still at Bombardier, and haven't returned. There's no word concerning those cars until they come back...

3010-3014 is at 207 St, and were recently transferred out of ENY Yard. Lots of work is being done with the set, which includes replacing the side LCDs. 3013 was sent up for repairs too, but it returned to NYC a few weeks ago. This means they'll likely do repairs on 3010-3014 as well. 

Other than that, they'll still be on the (A) during the shutdown. I assume they'd be in revenue service by fall, with burn-in/revenue testing in summer. 

P.S. An FYI, but the new delivery schedule for the R179s is projected to have all cars on property by the end of January 2019, according to @East New York

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2018 at 9:57 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

Don't trust anything from Wikipedia. Like how many times people want to believe everything written there....

It depends though. Wikipedia overall isn't purely unreliable.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wikipedia articles are only as good as the sources cited.

Besides, most of the relevant information regarding the incoming cars is posted here first, so you'd likely get that information way before it's posted to Wikipedia.

  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lance said:

Wikipedia articles are only as good as the sources cited.

Besides, most of the relevant information regarding the incoming cars is posted here first, so you'd likely get that information way before it's posted to Wikipedia.

That's because this is an awesome forum and we have become a family and like any family we've had disagreements,  but we have made positive contributions such as articles,  pictures, videos, etc. 

And for those who are out there chasing the r179's in all aspects, Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

Me when I see people cite wikipedia as a source on this forum:

1

Actually, most transit pages on Wikipedia are maintained by people on this forum, so even if it's not perfectly up to date, the information on the page is usually pretty accurate.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2018 at 11:26 PM, VIP said:

Not a single 10-car R179 entered service, calm down. It’s been publicly announced that those cars will be assigned to 207th Street and East New York respectively. Every yard in NYCT will be UNIFORMED. That means 1 fleet or up to 2 fleet types per yard for cost efficient maintenance. That whole 3-4 different car classes in a yard will be a thing of the past... we should have known this when the R160’s damn near replaced 4 different fleets in one sitting. 

5. ;)

But I think that's a good way to maintain the fleet. But what about 207th and CI? They're major overhaul and repair yards, so many different fleets will go to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

3109 and mates and 3118 and it's mates are at ENY.

That means 3106-3109 and 3118-3121 is about to do burn in testing soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

5. ;)

But I think that's a good way to maintain the fleet. But what about 207th and CI? They're major overhaul and repair yards, so many different fleets will go to them. 

I think you just answered your own question my friend. 😉 In terms of storage and routine maintenance It’s best yards work with 1 car class. I think that is what the MTA is going for...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2018 at 3:20 PM, EphraimB said:

According to an (MTA) employee, the R179s are NOT coming to the (A). All the 5-car R179s are going to the (F) to replace it's remaining R46s. The R32s and R46s are shared between the (A) and (C) to help with crowding on the (C). The (C) is NOT going to 10-cars.

The (F)??? R179s are not getting CBTC compatibility, so they will not run on QBL until maybe a period of time 5 or so years after the 211s arrive, and then they may or may not get CBTC. But close to nothing is known about that. That's just my theory.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

The (F)??? R179s are not getting CBTC compatibility, so they will not run on QBL until maybe a period of time 5 or so years after the 211s arrive, and then they may or may not get CBTC. But close to nothing is known about that. That's just my theory.

The (F) is not getting r179's 

Also, QBL, 8th Avenue, Culver, etc will be CBTC within the next 5 years according to Byford's new plan.

The r179's are still going to the (A) during the shutdown,  but since 8th Avenue will become CBTC sooner, I would not ruled the possibility of an A/C - N/W fleet swap, possibly before the delivery of r211s. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The (F) is not getting r179's 

Also, QBL, 8th Avenue, Culver, etc will be CBTC within the next 5 years according to Byford's new plan.

The r179's are still going to the (A) during the shutdown,  but since 8th Avenue will become CBTC sooner, I would not ruled the possibility of an A/C - N/W fleet swap, possibly before the delivery of r211s. 

I still think the plan is CBTC R211s for the (A)(C), (most likely the base order R211As just to get them available quicker) but someone else can correct me on that if I'm wrong...

EDIT: Just looked it up... the (A) has 40 trains assigned and the (C) has 19 trains assigned.

The base R211As are 440 cars or 44 trains, so that can fully equip the (A) and the other 4 trains can hit the (C), perhaps they give the R179 5 car sets CBTC for the (C). That would mean the (C) would need 3-4 more trains possibly from an R211 option order.

Edited by Around the Horn
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I still think the plan is CBTC R211s for the (A)(C), (most likely the base order R211As just to get them available quicker) but someone else can correct me on that if I'm wrong...

EDIT: Just looked it up... the (A) has 40 trains assigned and the (C) has 19 trains assigned.

The base R211As are 440 cars or 44 trains, so that can fully equip the (A) and the other 4 trains can hit the (C), perhaps they give the R179 5 car sets CBTC for the (C). That would mean the (C) would need 3-4 more trains possibly from an R211 option order.

Those 3-4 trains can be 10 car r160's coming from the N/W trains.

I doubt that all r211's will be delivered and in service within the next 5 years, which is the timeline for the 8th Avenue CBTC. 

For now, I suggest exchanging the r46s from the A/C with the r160s from the N/W. The A keeps the 5 car r179s, hopefully these r179's can be converted into CBTC within the next five years. 

Once, the r211's arrive, then they can finally replace any r32's that may still be running on the A and displace some of the r160's to other lines.

So in five years we should be seeing:

A: r211s- r179

c r211s-r160's 

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.