R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

8 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Why would any R32s go on the (B) and (G) anyway when they not only spend less time outdoors (much less than the (A) ‘s Rockaway Peninsula outdoor run anyway) but also the fact that they are already going to be enough R179s to cover the entire (G) fleet plus the Montague Street Tube clearance issue when the former gets rerouted? And the fact that the (L) shutdown will free up some more cars to run in service on the rest of the BMT Eastern Division. All 222 R32s will either stay on the (A) or be retired when all is said and done. Point blank.

This outdoors/indoors thing is not how the MTA looks at this. As I and others have said before, the paramount (though, granted, not only) goal of fleet allocation is to minimise road time for old/unreliable/maintenance heavy fleets. The (B), which doesn't run at night or over weekends (and runs relatively infrequently during middays) is perfect for that goal, allowing the 32s/42s a maximum of down time. Thus, the TA wishes to send them to CI. Now, of course, the 32s/42s are, combined, too many trains for the (B), so a second assignment had to be found for them. Without spreading the fleet over two yards, the only relatively unintensive, Montague-free option was the (G), thus they chose to place the balance of the 32s there. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, RR503 said:

This outdoors/indoors thing is not how the MTA looks at this. As I and others have said before, the paramount (though, granted, not only) goal of fleet allocation is to minimise road time for old/unreliable/maintenance heavy fleets. The (B), which doesn't run at night or over weekends (and runs relatively infrequently during middays) is perfect for that goal, allowing the 32s/42s a maximum of down time. Thus, the TA wishes to send them to CI. Now, of course, the 32s/42s are, combined, too many trains for the (B), so a second assignment had to be found for them. Without spreading the fleet over two yards, the only relatively unintensive, Montague-free option was the (G), thus they chose to place the balance of the 32s there. 

Keep in mind that any r32's that go to the (B) will increase service in that line. The r68's will most likely stay on the (B).

On the other hand, the r68's will be displaced from the (G) most likely to other lines that uses r68's for fleet uniformity. The r32's will be needed in the (G) as well as the r160's displaced from the (C).

26 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Keep in mind that any r32's that go to the (B) will increase service in that line. The r68's will most likely stay on the (B).

Incorrect. 68s from the (B) and (G) are being displaced to the (N)(Q)(W) so Jamaica can have all NTTs. 

6 hours ago, RR503 said:

Incorrect. 68s from the (B) and (G) are being displaced to the (N)(Q)(W) so Jamaica can have all NTTs. 

The (B) gets the boot and goes MIA whenever something happens along 6th Avenue, so that, coupled with the fact that it's a part-time service operating weekdays only, makes it the logical candidate for receiving the historic SMEE's.

1 hour ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

The (B) gets the boot and goes MIA whenever something happens along 6th Avenue, so that, coupled with the fact that it's a part-time service operating weekdays only, makes it the logical candidate for receiving the historic SMEE's.

The (B) should honestly run as a shuttle from Bedford Park to 145th St or 2nd Av on weekends. The headways on the (D) are horrible.

On 6/23/2018 at 3:16 PM, RR503 said:

I'm sure the passengers on the (B) see those R68 cars and think Jesus Christ, they put all of the old cars on this line then give us sh*t service to boot, which is the truth.  As others have said, I find it annoying that any time there's an issue on the 6th Avenue line, (B) service gets cut immediately.  That really needs to stop.  Given how poor the (D) runs and the crowding issues during the rush especially, riders need all the service they can get.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The (B) should honestly run as a shuttle from Bedford Park to 145th St or 2nd Av on weekends. The headways on the (D) are horrible.

If you're somewhere along CPW on the weekends, your only option is the (C), which puts you in a rather dire position. When @Via Garibaldi 8 mentioned the headways along CPW on the weekends being abysmal, he wasn't kidding. Sometimes you're required to wait an agonizing 15+ minutes for a (C) train to show up during midday hours. If the headways along the Grand Concourse Line were adjusted to accommodate alternating (B) and (D) trains, some of the issues along CPW would be addressed—the big one being unacceptably large headways. They should have the (B) run from Bedford Park Boulevard to 2nd Avenue on the weekends by doing a pilot test to see how it fares.

24 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

If you're somewhere along CPW on the weekends, your only option is the (C), which puts you in a rather dire position. When @Via Garibaldi 8 mentioned the headways along CPW on the weekends being abysmal, he wasn't kidding. Sometimes you're required to wait an agonizing 15+ minutes for a (C) train to show up during midday hours. If the headways along the Grand Concourse Line were adjusted to accommodate alternating (B) and (D) trains, some of the issues along CPW would be addressed—the big one being unacceptably large headways. They should have the (B) run from Bedford Park Boulevard to 2nd Avenue on the weekends by doing a pilot test to see how it fares.

The problem is how they have the (B) and (D) run. Usually they're back to back and then there's nothing for anywhere from 10-15 minutes during rush hour, which is how the platforms back up on the express side. What they really should do is squeeze in a (D) here and there. I know capacity is an issue but starting a (D) from say 2nd Avenue or Grand Street would make sense to address the overcrowding.

What's amazing about the (C) is with no (B) running, you'd think you'd be moving when they do come, but that varies too. It's hard to justify train traffic as the excuse for a line that runs so infrequently.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The problem is how they have the (B) and (D) run. Usually they're back to back and then there's nothing for anywhere from 10-15 minutes during rush hour, which is how the platforms back up on the express side. What they really should do is squeeze in a (D) here and there. I know capacity is an issue but starting a (D) from say 2nd Avenue or Grand Street would make sense to address the overcrowding.

What's amazing about the (C) is with no (B) running, you'd think you'd be moving when they do come, but that varies too. It's hard to justify train traffic as the excuse for a line that runs so infrequently.

Yesterday I waited 25+ minutes at Fordham Road for a (D) and 30 minutes at West 4th St for another (D). I dear hope to god I never use CPW local during the weekends, because if I get this many problems on Concourse, it's going to be hell on CPW.

I believe part of the problem with Central Park West right now is the never-ending one-directional express service GOs for the various ESI projects. Forcing all three weekend services on one track undoubtedly does not help matters in the slightest and is probably causing some cascading delays upstream on Concourse.

53 minutes ago, Lance said:

I believe part of the problem with Central Park West right now is the never-ending one-directional express service GOs for the various ESI projects. Forcing all three weekend services on one track undoubtedly does not help matters in the slightest and is probably causing some cascading delays upstream on Concourse.

If the D is bad on the weekends, the A and C are worse. Honestly, at this point I don't think that there's a single subway line that runs well during the weekends. 

6 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Let’s back to R179 deliveries.

Ok. But the ongoing issues on the (A)(B)(C)(D) trains is one of the effects of the bad decisions of the MTA in regards to the r179's.

1. The MTA should've order more than 300 r179 cars.

2. Most of the r179's should've been 10 car trains.

3. Kawasaki should have built the r179's.

I just hope that the MTA gets it right with the r211's and people who live along the (A)(B)(C)(D) need and deserve better service.

1 hour ago, j express said:

Imagine running the (B) on weekends, when they close down one track on CPW on weekends. That means longer waiting times for the (A)(C)(D) on weekends. 

Service can be suspended on the (B) when that happens. They have suspended service on the (1) and (3) trains on some weekends and the (1) is a full time line.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

EVEN MORE GOOD NEWS!!!!

3106-3109 and 3118-3121 are in regular service, so now we have eight R179s in-service on the (J)!!!

3122-3125 & 3134-3137 should be moving to ENY shortly for burn-in!

3074-3077 recently arrived after a lot of questioning on its whereabouts.

3126-3129 also recently arrived, and are gonna transfer to Pitkin for testing in the Rockaways.

The (J) is basically almost fully NTT at this point, with the ratio of R32s to R179s only being 80:64.