R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

EVEN MORE GOOD NEWS!!!!

3106-3109 and 3118-3121 are in regular service, so now we have eight R179s in-service on the (J)!!!

3122-3125 & 3134-3137 should be moving to ENY shortly for burn-in!

3074-3077 recently arrived after a lot of questioning on its whereabouts.

3126-3129 also recently arrived, and are gonna transfer to Pitkin for testing in the Rockaways.

The (J) is basically almost fully NTT at this point, with the ratio of R32s to R179s only being 80:64.

Can we confirm 3074-3077? I've seen pics of every set delivered except that one...

22 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Can we confirm 3074-3077? I've seen pics of every set delivered except that one...

Yes. @j express mentioned it earlier. 

On 6/22/2018 at 11:53 PM, j express said:

Also 3074-3077 was delivered this week to 207 St from a photo I saw on another transit group.

8 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

EVEN MORE GOOD NEWS!!!!

Lol I appreciate your enthusiasm for the NTTs and all...but...never mind. Lol.

Btw, with eight R179s in service on the (J) / (Z), expect more R32s on  the (A) and more R46s on the (C) sooner or later.

Edited by Jemorie

27 minutes ago, Vtrain said:

RR503: have you heard of anything recently in regards to the proposed 3TPH for the Brooklyn F train express for 2019 & how the service plan will work with 3TPH.

To ask this question, you have PMed me here. You have PMed me on railroad.net. You've posted on my profile. To each of these inquiries, the answer has been the same: no, I do not know more. 

I thought I had made it abundantly clear in my responses to previous messages that if there was something to share, I would inform you, and moreover do so publicly so that all could attain that information. 

As such, I’d ask that you kindly stop pestering me, and trust that if there was something to share, I — or someone else in the know — would do so. Put less circularly (as implication doesn’t seem to be your strong suit) stop asking me. 

I’d also like to note that regardless of history, the R179 thread is *really* not the place for this inquiry. 

Edited by RR503

On 6/27/2018 at 10:01 AM, Coney Island Av said:

EVEN MORE GOOD NEWS!!!!

3106-3109 and 3118-3121 are in regular service, so now we have eight R179s in-service on the (J)!!!

3122-3125 & 3134-3137 should be moving to ENY shortly for burn-in!

3074-3077 recently arrived after a lot of questioning on its whereabouts.

3126-3129 also recently arrived, and are gonna transfer to Pitkin for testing in the Rockaways.

The (J) is basically almost fully NTT at this point, with the ratio of R32s to R179s only being 80:64.

Looking forward to seeing all r179s in service, including all 10 cars r179 trains on the (A).

10 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

What are they planning to with R160s on (C) ?

The answer to your question would only be speculation at the moment. As much as I know this won't happen, it'd be nice to see them on the (G)

1 minute ago, j express said:

3122-3125 and 3134-3137 doing burn in testing on the (J) now. 

Heard the news earlier from a friend outside these forums. :)

On 6/28/2018 at 5:45 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Based on the article it's confirmed that
1. Buses, lots of buses, hopefully all of them are articulated buses.
2. Only 40 subway cars will be added to the (M). Obviously, these are r160's that will be displaced from the (L).

The big question is what is going to happen with the rest of the 8 car r160's??

1. All 8 car r179's will cover the entire (J)(Z) fleet.
2. The article confirms that the (C) will be full length.
3. The (G) will not need ALL 8 car r160's to cover its entire fleet.

Therefore, there will be leftover 8 car r160's.

The entire (G) fleet will become 100% R160A-1s from the (C) and some from the (J)(Z)(M), which will become just R179s and any leftover R160A-1s. The 14th Street Tube shutdown will allow the (L) to run less frequently than before which will move some more R143s (not a whole bunch, just a little bit more like say 10-15%) over to the (J)(Z)(M). In general, there will be enough cars for the BMT Eastern Division and the IND Crosstown Line during the 14th Street Tube shutdown.

The (G) really does not need the R32s in my opinion.

Edited by Jemorie

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The big question is what is going to happen with the rest of the 8 car r160's??

Most "leftovers" will probably go to the (G), which will need a lot more rolling stock during the shutdown (around 18-20 sets in revenue service versus the 13 now). That takes care of pretty much most of the R160A-1's. They will then displace R68s for use on the (N)(Q)(W), which give their R160s to some other yard (Jamaica or Pitkin/207th, who knows at this point?)

That's the best I can gather from the info out there now. Can't wait for some official announcements, if they ever do come before said swaps happen.

37 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

The (G) really does not need the R32s in my opinion.

I agree. According to Wikipedia, the MTA is only keeping half of the r32's during the shutdown and the (A) will only need about 70 r32's, since it's keeping a third of its r46's (112 cars) plus all 10 car r179's (120 cars).

As for the r42's, let's start preparing some good swan songs.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I agree. According to Wikipedia, the MTA is only keeping half of the r32's during the shutdown and the (A) will only need about 70 r32's, since it's keeping a third of its r46's (112 cars) plus all 10 car r179's (120 cars).

As for the r42's, let's start preparing some good swan songs.

50% of the (A) 's fleet will likely be 60 footers because there are only a total of 120 R179s that will be in five-car sets. You would need 110 R32s and 90 R179s to be the first 20 trainsets of the (A) and the rest R46s. In total, the (A) runs 40 trains during rush hours according to Joe Korner's datasheet.

The (A) shouldn't continue being mostly 75 footers as it is now.

The rest of the R32s can head for other lines if need be or be retired if need be.

Edited by Jemorie