R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I don't want to ruin any fun but I heard that R32's are no longer scheduled for the (B) due to rollsign issues and are now scheduled for the (A) and (G) though the (B) is still getting R42's. I don't believe that this is true but I'd like to know if anyone has some information on this. 

It's not accurate. I brought it up in this thread recently and a ton of content pertaining to it got removed for the aforementioned reason. 

Plus, rollsign issues are irrelevant, given that the average rider won't even pay attention/even know what "West End" or "Washington Heights" means. As long as they see (B), they'll know it's a (B) and it's fine. Besides, they even used the old (brownM) rollsigns on the R42s during the Myrtle viaduct work, and not a single rider got confused. 

I'll say this: there are multiple possible outcomes/scenarios that can happen with the R32s, R42s, and R179s for Canarsie. But only one of them will occur, and we'll have to wait and see as always. 

Edited by Coney Island Av

12 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I don't want to ruin any fun but I heard that R32's are no longer scheduled for the (B) due to rollsign issues and are now scheduled for the (A) and (G) though the (B) is still getting R42's. I don't believe that this is true but I'd like to know if anyone has some information on this. 

In the case of the r32's most likely yes, although the MTA hasn't confirmed this.

The r68's are staying in the B.

I have a feeling that based on numbers the r42's might be preserved as backup, used as work trains or be retired. Sorry for those who don't want the r42's to be retired, but they can't stay in service forever and they're not in good shape.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

47 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Plus, rollsign issues are irrelevant, given that the average rider won't even pay attention/even know what "West End" or "Washington Heights" means. As long as they see (B), they'll know it's a (B) and it's fine. Besides, they even used the old (brownM) rollsigns on the R42s during the Myrtle viaduct work, and not a single rider got confused.

That's not what the issue is. They would prefer to have R46s on the (B) so they don't have to change the top roll from Harlem-145 St to Bedford Park Blvd every rush hour.

10 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

In that case we have to re-arrange all of our predictions

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

But didnt Westchester complain about this when they got the 62A's?

7 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Big difference. The (6) had no choice but to accept non-NTTS without LED. R46s have LED for signs to easily change (B) terminals.

Also, "loaner" sets from 240th Street notwithstanding, the circle/diamond LEDs are a good indicator of Parkchester local/Pelham Bay Park express service, which is good because it's extremely rare that those signs are moved from one to the other.

In regards to the sign issue for the (B), it's not a problem for the 68s since Bedford Park Blvd and 145 Street are right next to each other on the sign curtains. On the 32s however, they're on opposite sides of the roll since the destinations were arranged alphanumerically. Some curtains were modified to have 145 Street be the first exposure, covering over Astoria Blvd, to make it easier to cycle between the two northern terminals of the (B) line.

12 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Big difference. The (6) had no choice but to accept non-NTTS without LED. R46s have LED for signs to easily change (B) terminals.

The plan was for the (4) to get the 62A’s but I’m curious to have known how their R142 and R142A’s affect the ordering R188 cars... also does Yard workers/management really complain about fleet, if so how does anyone know the nature of the complaints???

Just now, Coney Island Av said:

The (C) seems to be gradually losing its R160s. 

9943-9946 and 9959-9962 were recently transferred back to the (J)

Indeed, i've seen more R46's on the line (from the (A) ) recently. This is to make the (J) fleet NTT if im correct. By April 2019, the (C) fleet will likely loose all of it's NTT trains, and maybe R32's as well since I know many are transferring to the (A)

On 8/30/2018 at 8:24 PM, Coney Island Av said:

And this calls for a MAJOR, MAJOR UPDATE!!!

3010-3014: At Bombardier, soon going back to NYC 

3015-3019: On its way back to NYC after being missing for over four months

3050-3057, 3058-3065, 3066-3069, 3074-3077, 3078-3081, 3082-3085, 3086-3089, 3090-3093, 3094-3097, 3098-3101, 3102-3105, 3106-3109, 3110-3113, 3114-3117, 3118-3121, 3122-3125, 3126-3129, 3134-3137: All in service on the (J)(Z) 

3130-3133, 3138-3141: To enter service very very soon, if they haven't already

3142-3145, 3146-3149: Testing in the Rockaways

Also, next week will mark over two years since the first R179 car, 3014, was delivered to NYC! 

I did some Math and 27 4 car sets have not been delivered yet in addition to the 5 car sets. 

This is still a possible car assignments during Canarsie shutdown:

A: r179's, r46's, r32's (Not confirmed by MTA)

B: r68's including r68's from G (Not confirmed by MTA)

C : r46's (car assignment not confirmed by MTA. Full length confirmed by MTA).

D : r68's including r68's from G (Extra service confirmed by MTA - Byford plan)

G: r160's, r32's ( car assignment not confirmed by MTA. Full length confirmed by MTA)

J/Z: r179's

L: r143's

M: r160's including r160's from L ( Confirmed by MTA).

However, I wouldn't ruled out this possibility based on 8th Avenue and QBL CTBC, which will both use r160's and r211's:

C : 10 car r160's

N/Q/W: r46's

R: r160's

Additionally, I have an impression that the r211's  would be running primarily on the A, B, D with a few sets possibly on the C and R trains. The r68's would replace the r46's on the N, Q and W. This may happen as a result of 8th Avenue CTBC.

Now the tricky question: what will happen on the A division once Lexington Avenue becomes CTBC? The r62s won't be able to run on the Lexington Avenue line once it becomes CTBC.

😄

21 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

There's the (4) but that wasn't a choice given b/c of wider doors and crowding on the Express all day. 

Edited by Calvin

21 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

The 6 may have to swap trains with the 2 once Lexington Avenue becomes CTBC, unless the MTA has a secret car order that will replace the r62s on the 6.

10 minutes ago, B46 via Utica said:

The R42s will be reserved for (B) service correct? Nothing's retiring till after the (L) shutdown.

The MTA has not confirmed that information, but the MTA did confirmed that the r32's will be preserved during the shutdown.

What may most likely happen is that the B, D possibly the N/W may get the r68's from the G. The MTA did confirm that the D will get extra trains this fall.

16 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I did some Math and 27 4 car sets have not been delivered yet in addition to the 5 car sets. 

This is still a possible car assignments during Canarsie shutdown:

A: r179's, r46's, r32's (Not confirmed by MTA)

B: r68's including r68's from G (Not confirmed by MTA)

C : r46's (car assignment not confirmed by MTA. Full length confirmed by MTA).

D : r68's including r68's from G (Extra service confirmed by MTA - Byford plan)

G: r160's, r32's ( car assignment not confirmed by MTA. Full length confirmed by MTA)

J/Z: r179's

L: r143's

M: r160's including r160's from L ( Confirmed by MTA).

However, I wouldn't ruled out this possibility based on 8th Avenue and QBL CTBC, which will both use r160's and r211's:

C : 10 car r160's

N/Q/W: r46's

R: r160's

Additionally, I have an impression that the r211's  would be running primarily on the A, B, D with a few sets possibly on the C and R trains. The r68's would replace the r46's on the N, Q and W. This may happen as a result of 8th Avenue CTBC.

Now the tricky question: what will happen on the A division once Lexington Avenue becomes CTBC? The r62s won't be able to run on the Lexington Avenue line once it becomes CTBC.

😄

I see that you omitted the R42s from your predicted car assignment list to be implemented before the closure of the 14th Street Tunnels. Do you really expect them to be retired at such a critical time when the MTA needs all the rolling stock it can possibly utilize? We're expecting a considerable shift in passenger ridership patterns to mitigate the harsh inconvenience of the closure. As it stands, 5 10-car R42 sets can be assembled and used. At a time so crucial, you need everything you can get your hands on and some more. When you prepare for a disaster you stock up on supplies, not go and throw away the things you feel you won't need. In the event you're faced with a shortage of some sort, (and the possibility is there) you're going to desperately regret tossing your options. Preparation isn't only about what you predict to expect... A big part of it is knowing that there will be obstacles that you can't always foresee...

49 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

I see that you omitted the R42s from your predicted car assignment list to be implemented before the closure of the 14th Street Tunnels. Do you really expect them to be retired at such a critical time when the MTA needs all the rolling stock it can possibly utilize? We're expecting a considerable shift in passenger ridership patterns to mitigate the harsh inconvenience of the closure. As it stands, 5 10-car R42 sets can be assembled and used. At a time so crucial, you need everything you can get your hands on and some more. When you prepare for a disaster you stock up on supplies, not go and throw away the things you feel you won't need. In the event you're faced with a shortage of some sort, (and the possibility is there) you're going to desperately regret tossing your options. Preparation isn't only about what you predict to expect... A big part of it is knowing that there will be obstacles that you can't always foresee...

I didn't include the r42's because the MTA has not confirmed whether or not the r42's will be preserved during the shutdown. I don't think the r42's will retire before the shutdown. I have a feeling that they may be preserved as a backup in case more issues do arise on the r179's, or ridership on the G is so high that the extra full length trains cannot handle the volume. 

Lets see what happens, but I feel that the people in Brooklyn are going to be fine during the shutdown. It's the people in Manhattan, especially those who live in Alphabet City, who are going to really suffer the loss of L service, which is the only line that serves the area.