R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Things are starting to get very interesting:

3015-3019 should be fully back on property very soon. However, I think it would be at least a few weeks until 3010-3014 get back. Regardless, this is very good progress for the five-car sets. 

3130-3133 and 3138-3141 is now in regular service on the (J)(Z), increasing the number of R179 sets in service to 11. 

The R32s are barely running on the (J)(Z) anymore, with only about seven sets remaining. It's mostly R179s at this point. And surprisingly, R42s are seen more occasionally out on the (J) than R32s. 

The (C) seems to be gradually losing R160s. One R160 consist recently got transferred back to the (J). However, I still think at least some would go to the (G)

Edited by Coney Island Av

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Can someone tell me the purpose of the (G) getting R160s for the shut down? Why give the (G) new cars when they can just give them any old car to fill up to 8 or 10 cars and use the good R160s for more mainline lines?

Where else would you put the 8 car sets since the (C) is now full length and the (J) is expected to be fully R179?

48 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Where else would you put the 8 car sets since the (C) is now full length and the (J) is expected to be fully R179?

The (G) will be full length, so that's another season why the (G) will get the 8 car r160's from the (C) and (J)

Additionally, the (G) will see the highest ridership during the Canarsie shutdown, which is the reason why the (G) will need half of the remaining r32's in addition to the r160's. 

3 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The (G) will be full length, so that's another season why the (G) will get the 8 car r160's from the (C) and (J)

Additionally, the (G) will see the highest ridership during the Canarsie shutdown, which is the reason why the (G) will need half of the remaining r32's in addition to the r160's. 

Plus you have to think about maintenance. Coney Island takes good care of the R160 so why not give the (G) new cars 

Yall do Know that the (G) will permanently have R160’s assigned to the line AFTER the Canarsie shutdown. There’s gonna be a huge surplus of 8-car R160’s after all the 8-car sets of R179’s are delivered. 

Edited by VIP

48 minutes ago, VIP said:

Yall do Know that the (G) will permanently have R160’s assigned to the line AFTER the Canarsie shutdown. There’s gonna be a huge surplus of 8-car R160’s after all the 8-car sets of R179’s are delivered. 

Obviously yes and G train riders are going to be happy about having more trains than what they currently have and full length.

The r32's on the G will most likely be the first batch of r32's to be retired once Canarsie tunnel is reopened, whereas the r32's on the A will have to wait until the r211's enter service.

7 hours ago, VIP said:

What about the R179s that’ll be on the (A) (C)(J) (Z) lines will those be permanent too ?  

Edited by R179 8258

5 minutes ago, R179 8258 said:

What about the R179s that’ll be on the (A) (C)(J) (Z) lines will those be permanent too ?  

(A) - Yes most likely (though with the R211's coming soon after the shutdown is complete, we'll have to wait and see)

(C) - R179's are currently not planned to be on this line, if they are, it may not be permanent. 

(J)(Z) - Yes most likely

First off, not all the R160s on the (C) will head to the (G). Some are going back to the (J)(M)(Z).

And don't tell me this is just a dumb rumor. This is far from speculation because recently, one R160 set that was previously on the (C) went to the (J). And the (J) is only expected to be mostly R179, as it'll still keep a few R143s and R160s. 

40 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

First off, not all the R160s on the (C) will head to the (G). Some are going back to the (J)(M)(Z).

And don't tell me this is just a dumb rumor. This is far from speculation because recently, one R160 set that was previously on the (C) went to the (J). And the (J) is only expected to be mostly R179, as it'll still keep a few R143s and R160s. 

It's NOT a dumb rumor. Let's see what happens.

How many r160's will the G get?? It will all depend on ridership. The G will have the highest ridership during the shutdown, so don't be surprised if the G gets at least 85% of the r160's from the C and J in addition to 50% of the remaining r32's.

The M will be in 2nd in terms of ridership during the shutdown. The MTA will add 50 cars (obviously r160's from the L) on the M (Confirmed). However, more trains may still be added if ridership on the M becomes too high. If this happens, service may be reduced on the JZ  to accommodate the extra Ms, especially on the Williamsburg Bridge. R trains may be affected in Queens as well if this happens.

7 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

6 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It's NOT a dumb rumor. Let's see what happens.

How many r160's will the G get?? It will all depend on ridership. The G will have the highest ridership during the shutdown, so don't be surprised if the G gets at least 85% of the r160's from the C and J in addition to 50% of the remaining r32's.

Fine, but I rather have 9-10 sets of R32s on the (A) in addition to all the five-car R179s, because a bunch of (L) riders will also increase (A) ridership during the 14th Street Tunnel Shudtown and 12 sets of ten-car R179 trains just aren't gonna cut it.

7 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

I wouldn't be so quick to say that... It's also possible that the R160s move over to make the (J) 100% SMEE earlier, then move to the (G) as more R179 deliveries occur.

The 24 & 1/2 8 car trains on order are also exactly enough to meet peak (J)(Z) requirements plus spares.

Edited by Around the Horn

2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Fine, but I rather have 9-10 sets of R32s on the (A) in addition to all the five-car R179s, because a bunch of (L) riders will also increase (A) ridership during the 14th Street Tunnel Shudtown and 12 sets of ten-car R179 trains just aren't gonna cut it.

ok.

When it comes to these Fleet Swap speculations, I don't understand why the (B) is involved in anything DIRECTLY related to the (L) train shutdown. Does anyone have an answer as to why?

2 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

ok.

When it comes to these Fleet Swap speculations, I don't understand why the (B) is involved in anything DIRECTLY related to the (L) train shutdown. Does anyone have an answer as to why?

Canarsie plans don't exist in a vacuum. A car moved to a mitigation route is a car not present somewhere else, and vice versa. The (B) happens to be where some of the SMEEs are headed for the shutdown's allocation of NTTs to the (J), thus it gets talked about. 

18 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

ok.

Ok...

Where in my post did I say anything about the (B) though?

Edited by Jemorie

7 hours ago, Jemorie said:

I agree. If the A gets the other 50% of the remaining r32's, then that would give the A about 11 sets of 10 car r32's, while the other 50% would go to the G in addition to the 8 car r160's from the C and J.

42 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

If rollsigns are really an issue why not just put a sticker over the current reading below Bedford Park? Problen solved!

^This.

For some R32 rollsigns, they were modified to have 145 St right next to Bedford Park Blvd on the rolls, but instead covering Astoria Blvd, which is above the former. The destination below Bedford Park Blvd is Canal St, but given how rarely Astoria Blvd is used as a terminal, it should cover over the latter instead. 

Another reason why they can't be an issue is because if the (B) is going to get R42s, on the latters, the two destinations are analogously the same distance away from each other like the R32 rolls. 

In reality, there's nothing preventing the R32s from running on the (B).

Edited by Coney Island Av

2 hours ago, BDNQ2345 said:

The (B) getting r42 and r46 

The (Q) getting r68/a idk about r46

The (N) / (W) getting r46

The (B) can't get r32 due to Bedford park blvd and 145 st rollsign is not near each other, its in alphabetical order 

But the (G) will get some r32 and r160

The (E)(F)(R) will get 100% r160a/b

Most of this information is NOT confirmed by the MTA.

The only information that is confirmed by the MTA is the G becoming full length and the possibility of the G getting r32's and r160's is really high.

The rest of the information is rumors and are subject to change.

9 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

^This.

For some R32 rollsigns, they were modified to have 145 St right next to Bedford Park Blvd on the rolls, but instead covering Astoria Blvd, which is above the former. The destination below Bedford Park Blvd is Canal St, but given how rarely Astoria Blvd is used as a terminal, it should cover over the latter instead. 

Another reason why they can't be an issue is because if the (B) is going to get R42s, on the latters, the two destinations are analogously the same distance away from each other like the R32 rolls. 

In reality, there's nothing preventing the R32s from running on the (B).

The R32's being on the (B) is unnecessary, The R46's would be better off and 3 sets of R42's wouldn't hurt since they can be used rush hours.

The (G) there's no sign changing, its easier to put R32's on there.

The (A) keeping the other half is smart, running them along side the R179's is a perfect balance. 

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The R32's being on the (B) is unnecessary, The R46's would be better off and 3 sets of R42's wouldn't hurt since they can be used rush hours.

The (A) keeping the other half is smart, running them along side the R179's is a perfect balance. 

It’s heard from an (A) line T/O that the R32’s are not going to Coney Island and that the (A) will have all 222 R32’s assigned to Pitkin/207th respectively until retirement. The R42’s on the other hand will make their way to Coney Island as spares, or rush hour put ins. This makes the most sense. I don’t think it’s practical for Coney Island to house 4 different car classes. 

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I agree with you 100% in regards to the r32's.

As for the B getting r46s and r42's?? That is just a rumor.

The B will most likely keep the r68's and possibly get a couple of r68's from the G, but I think the D will most get at least half of the r68's displaced from the G, since the MTA will increase service on the D this fall (Confirmed).

Also, the E will see increase service this fall.