R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

The thing to do in lieu of SAS is to order extra 179's right away, to replace all the 32's and 42's, and then some 46's would be put into storage until the additional cars are needed, so you would not need to wait for the 211's.

That could also work.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing to do in lieu of SAS is to order extra 179's right away, to replace all the 32's and 42's, and then some 46's would be put into storage until the additional cars are needed, so you would not need to wait for the 211's.

It would be nice if they ordered more of the 10 car sets so the (C) can be a full 600'. That way it would trains can be compatible with the (A) if the (A) needs to borrow a train.

I'm going out on limb by saying that those trucks are most likely not going to be used on the R179s?

They probably will.The R179 order isn't a joint order with Kawasaki,but if the TA learned anything from the R46 with its original trucks,then maybe they should throw Kawasaki sneakers on them....Just to be safe.

Yeah. Thats the concept pic for them.

yeah, im expecting those trucks if they stay awarded to Bombardier. If you havent noticed with the NTT orders since the 142's, the trucks depend on the builder. heres a perfect example:

Look at the trucks on a Bombardier-Built M7

Now look at the ones on the Kawasaki built M8. The M8's have a similar design to all the trucks on NYCT cars built by Kawasaki.

on a side note, (insert "just an opinion based of fact please dont jump down my throad disclaimer here) I would not be surprised if the 179's get equipped with ONIX.

System components can be "vendored" to other suppliers. The ONIX propulsion is NYCT in-house designed. They were originally tested on a set of R38s thru the Broad Channel flats in the late 90s. Its very possible that the Bombardier-built 179 can be supplied with ONIX if the MTA decides that the ONIX is the more preferable choice.

on a side note, (insert "just an opinion based of fact please dont jump down my throad disclaimer here) I would not be surprised if the 179's get equipped with ONIX.

System components can be "vendored" to other suppliers. The ONIX propulsion is NYCT in-house designed. They were originally tested on a set of R38s thru the Broad Channel flats in the late 90s. Its very possible that the Bombardier-built 179 can be supplied with ONIX if the MTA decides that the ONIX is the more preferable choice.

Are you aware that it was announced that Bombardier MITRAC would be the propulsion? (Not a rhetorical question; I'd just like to know the answer.) Because I kind of wish they would use ONIX and I was a bit disappointed to hear that it would be MITRAC.

Really? I'm actually looking forward to some new sounds around the system other than that ONIX propulsion that we have for almost half the fleet now lol.

You have a point, and while I do sympathize with all of the railfans who are begging for variety, I'd rather have propulsion that "fits in" with the NYC system. While I'm sure that I'll get used to the sounds of MITRAC, I have come to associate ONIX with the NYC subway.

Yes, I understand that the "old timers" think that anything that isn't DC propulsion doesn't fit in with NYC at all... :rolleyes:

one major factor thats a pro about having ONIX is that its in-house designed. NYCT designed it specifically for NYCT equipment. No other propulsion within the fleet has that fact. Its also been tested. as was stated, basically half the fleet. and can be retrofitted into other fleets. An R38 was the test train for it.

one major factor thats a pro about having ONIX is that its in-house designed. NYCT designed it specifically for NYCT equipment. No other propulsion within the fleet has that fact. Its also been tested. as was stated, basically half the fleet. and can be retrofitted into other fleets. An R38 was the test train for it.

too bad there aren't any clips of that thing running. I would have very much liked to see it and hear it.

So how does that propulsion sound like. I was hoping it to sound like the R143 or R142A's

You can also look at London Underground's 2009 stock and WMATA's 5000 series stock. Both have mitrac propulsion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6EHlxDAGRk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfDykUUvdCM

Edited by Fan Railer