R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/8/2018 at 12:30 AM, Calvin said:

Just wondering this: Is this the cycle for the R179 movement?

New set goes to the (C)  -> bumps off R160A to ENY  -> moving an R32 to 207 -> moving an R46 from (A) to (C)  : (C) train using R179 and R46

You may discover, as things progress, that the use of new 4-car R-179's on (C) is a temporary measure.

In general, the 80 remaining R-160A's on (C) will migrate to ENY in time as new R-179's arrive, but not necessarily on a one-for-one basis, and not all of the 84 yet-to-be-accepted R-179's will necessarily be used on (C).  It depends on their rather halting technical progress through the first quarter of 2019.

There are up to three trains' worth of R-32's left at ENY, plus spares, and no particular urgency to relocate them short-term, though they will be moving on at some point (as will the 50 MK R-42's).  You should still be able to find those three 8-car trains any weekday on (J) and (Z).

There are five R-46 trains slotted each day for (C) but sometimes more are used, sometimes less, depending on how things stack up for the (A) on any particular day.  The idea was to gradually increase the number of R-46's used on (C) up to full schedule (18 trains) as the 5-car R-179's arrive on (A).  As of now, it appears that won't happen until Spring and Summer 2019.

When all is said and done (with all 316 R-179's delivered) it could come to pass that both R-46's and R-179's could wind up on A and C (so could 10-car R-32's for that matter).

Time will tell!

I see you are very confused. Here's a simple breakdown of the math:

• 1 train = 8 cars (in this scenario)
  • One-half of a train = 0.5 train = 4 cars
  • 76 cars divided by 8 cars per train will give you 9.5 trains, or nine 8-car trains and one 4-car train
Edited by Gong Gahou

I finally rode the r179 for the first time. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I should 've done it sooner on the J. Lol!! 

it was unplanned. I was waiting for the D train at 125th street to go to the Bronx. Then, a C train arrived on the express track and it was 3157, so I took it to 145th Street and then took the D.

I immediately noticed the difference in the interior between the r179's and r160's, such as the screens, windows, and the size of the benches. I also noticed that the automated announcements are a little louder and clearer than the r160's and r143's.

I don’t know if this has been answered yet but will the 5-car R179s have to go through the 30-day in service testing? I mean they might as well do that since the 5-car sets have been more bugged than the 4-car sets...

Honestly I don’t know how two different configurations of the same exact model have such contrasting issues...

Edited by paulrivera

29 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

I don’t know if this has been answered yet but will the 5-car R179s have to go through the 30-day in service testing? I mean they might as well do that since the 5-car sets have been more bugged than the 4-car sets...

The answer is on the previous page.

On 11/28/2018 at 8:17 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:
On 11/28/2018 at 8:02 PM, U-BahnNYC said:

Now that the 5-car set is here, how much more testing does it need to do before it can start revenue service?

And why aren't the tests being done on the (A), the line where it is due to enter service?

Only thing needed is burn-in testing.

The benches on the R179 cars seem longer. Is it the longer windows or the thick door trims that give off that appearance? And I’m wondering how anyone identifies the cars such as “R one seven nine” or R one seventy nine”...

Edited by VIP

23 minutes ago, VIP said:

The benches on the R179 cars seem longer. Is it the longer windows or the thick door trims that give off that appearance? And I’m wondering how anyone identifies the cars such as “R one seven nine” or R one seventy nine”...

One seventy nine.

I heard TA employees call the R160s "One sixtys"