R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

I do too. I remember Byford said even with the Canarsie shutdown up in the air he still wanted to see service improvements like full-length G trains happen regardless. 

The (G) is getting R160’s...R160’s is what Coney Island knows, other than R68s of course. 

4 hours ago, VIP said:

The (G) is getting R160’s...R160’s is what Coney Island knows, other than R68s of course. 

I hope so. Besides another advantage of having the r160's on the G is that it will allow the G to be extended to Forest Hills during the weekends once QBL CTBC is done. If that happens, the G can borrow some r160's from the M since the M only run to Delancey Street during the weekends. The R shouldn't be the only local train in QBL during the weekends.

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I hope so. Besides another advantage of having the r160's on the G is that it will allow the G to be extended to Forest Hills during the weekends once QBL CTBC is done. If that happens, the G can borrow some r160's from the M since the M only run to Delancey Street during the weekends. The R shouldn't be the only local train in QBL during the weekends.

I don’t think the (G) going back to Forest Hills will ever be a thing again. QBL suffers from constant construction just about every weekend which would mean that the (G) would be cutback to Court Square anyways. If anything perhaps there should be increased (R) service.

14 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t think the (G) going back to Forest Hills will ever be a thing again. QBL suffers from constant construction just about every weekend which would mean that the (G) would be cutback to Court Square anyways. If anything perhaps there should be increased (R) service.

All the construction that has been happening in QBL is related to CTBC.

The G used to run to QBL during the weekends, when the V used to operate during the weekdays.

Construction along QBL will decrease significantly once CTBC is complete, allowing a possible return of weekend G service. I hope the MTA decides to do this, especially if the G gets the 8 car r160's.

Just now, Around the Horn said:

If we're going to add service on weekends, the (M) makes much more sense than the (G).

I'd also think riders would prefer more weekend service into Manhattan, not a weekend-only additional service between Brooklyn and Queens. If riders want to use the (G), it's already available to transfer from the (E) and (7) (if someone decided to transfer at 74 St for some reason) at Court Square. 

Back on track...

3206-3209 was recently delivered but no one mentioned it.

The (J)(Z) is almost entirely NTT, (save for R42s, the only SMEEs remaining at ENY). The last set of R32s left for 207 St a few weeks ago.

There are so many R160s at ENY now to the point where only a mere 1-3 sets remain on the (C)

3182-3189, 3190-3197 have been doing burn in as of late but no has confirmed they entered service. 

2 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

When they was last on the (A) they ran on the rush hour only Rock Park specials. If they limit the 42s to those runs that would be a great place to put them.

Oooh, good point. It'd be interesting for the (A) to have 32s, 42s, 46s, and 179s to top it all off. 

19 minutes ago, VIP said:

The R42’s were going to 207th Street as the original plan after East New York received enough R179’s to make (J)(Z) service. I don’t Know why @R32 3838 kept provoking the idea that those R42’s were going to Coney Island.

The R42 (B) was the original plan, but I rather them on the (A).

A lot of credible sources had said the (B) was getting them. Plans might have changed but I'm glad they'll be on the (A) instead. 

I'm lolling at the fans who were looking forward to seeing R42's on the (B) just to be in utter disappointment. 

54 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

Well, I guess I lost my bet, for now.

The R-42's might not stay on the (A) though, once the 5-car R-179's do show up.

Speaking of which, there's word the R-179 order has been modified again, one more 10-car train+one less 8-car train?

It's likely the R46's would get pushed out instead of the R32's and R42's.

It would make sense due to the fact CIY is already getting R46's from Jamaica for an exchange for R160's and the fact the (B) will get R46's by default.

They rather have all the old shit at 207th so once retirement comes, straight to Newark nj for scrapping.

3 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

A source in RTO.

I don't mean to disrespect any transit workers, but the only sources that are 100% credible is what the MTA and the government confirms to the media. Everything else is just on our personal wishes, theories and ideas that may or may not happen, especially now that the Canarsie shutdown is not happening.

in fact, what has been happening to the A, C during the last few weeks is not part of the "original plan", like the return of the 8 car r32's to the C and the A still having at least 80% of it's r46's. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people in this forum, including myself, didn't see that coming.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

There's honestly no way of knowing which things are confirmed until they actually happen regardless if it's from an employee, MTA, or the government. There's just a heated battle with MTA at the moment just because the shutdown got averted. 

And also, the (A)(C) have been like that ever since the swaps begun, only with more R32s in this case. There was little to no surprise in this case considering the (C) was always using more R32s for the past few months, and the same goes with the (A) for the R46s. 

Plus 3010-3019 still isn't in service so there's not a surplus of full-length trains roaming around. Once the five-car sets hit service the (C) will be all full-length.

Edited by Coney Island Av