Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
East New York

R179 Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

Looks good except for two things:  1) I have a VERY reliable update (including a new inventory list, dated January 11, 2019) that now shows 318 cars total, 130 5's & 188 4's.  2) Deliveries projected for completion in mid August, not September.

Not sure which is correct, but in any event there are still short term troubles.

Still no movement on restoring more of the C train fleet to service.

Inventory list? Is this like a roster or something like that?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=undefined&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwj85Lvly_vfAhUrh-AKHSXxDoYQzPwBCAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com%2Fnew-york%2Fny-metro-r179-mta-train-car-20190108-story.html&psig=AOvVaw3ZClXsSLQqprGzkeLAvuq5&ust=1548047318779421

This article may interest some of you I've noticed that the 179s have had their fair share of consistent breakdowns and defects. I am aware of the possibility that can just be an effect of the "New Subway Car Phase" but I would like to shed some light on what is going on specifically. My experiences with the 179s personally haven't been really good. 

Edited by B46 via Utica

16 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I never understood why the original order only had 4 5 car sets. 

Also, were some 4 car sets later on converted into 5 car sets?

The original order predated the plan to extend the (C) to ten-car length trains several other changes to the requirements for overall B-Division service. Originally, the order was a straight replacement for the remaining 32s and 42s on the (C) and (J) lines, both of which at the time used 480-foot trains. The five-car sets were to be used for fleet expansion in anticipation of the then-unopened Second Ave extension. The only good thing about the extreme delays in delivery of these cars was that it allowed for a change in the order at no expense to the MTA.

13 hours ago, B46 via Utica said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=undefined&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwj85Lvly_vfAhUrh-AKHSXxDoYQzPwBCAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com%2Fnew-york%2Fny-metro-r179-mta-train-car-20190108-story.html&psig=AOvVaw3ZClXsSLQqprGzkeLAvuq5&ust=1548047318779421

This article may interest some of you I've noticed that the 179s have had their fair share of consistent breakdowns and defects. I am aware of the possibility that can just be an effect of the "New Subway Car Phase" but I would like to shed some light on what is going on specifically. My experiences with the 179s personally haven't been really good. 

This was mentioned a few pages back.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, m7zanr160s said:

So I'm assuming that the 10-car set will start running in service this week, am I right...?

Soon. 

5 minutes ago, Eagle Railfanning said:

Do you know if it will be on the A, or will it be on the C?

They’re going to run it on the (A) with (C) crews at first from Lefferts to 207 Street. From what I hear not all (A) crews are familiar yet. 

1 minute ago, VIP said:

They’re going to run it on the (A) with (C) crews at first from Lefferts to 207 Street. From what I hear not all (A) crews are familiar yet. 

Thanks for the information. Is there any reason they’re not running it to the rockaways?

30 minutes ago, Eagle Railfanning said:

Thanks for the information. Is there any reason they’re not running it to the rockaways?

You’re welcome. And I actually don’t know but that can change after the first few days of service.

Edited by VIP
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, m7zanr160s said:

So I'm assuming that the 10-car set will start running in service this week, am I right...?

First, 3010-3019 has to complete the 30 day passenger test. That can happen in any moment. Once that test is passed, then it will enter service and 3020-3029 will be delivered.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

First, 3010-3019 has to complete the 30 day passenger test. That can happen in any moment. Once that test is passed, then it will enter service and 3020-3029 will be delivered.

Wouldn't 3010 - 3019 have enter service to do the 30 day passenger test? 

• LMAO! 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Wouldn't 3010 - 3019 have enter service to do the 30 day passenger test? 

Exactly what I was thinking when I read that. Wouldn't the 30-day passenger test imply 3010-3019 would be running in service as to, y'know, complete said test? 

On 11/21/2018 at 6:46 PM, East New York said:

It's the same train, just a different number of cars. They only have to burn in. 

53 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

Exactly what I was thinking when I read that. Wouldn't the 30-day passenger test imply 3010-3019 would be running in service as to, y'know, complete said test? 

@Enjineer Yup, you should be correct, a post from @East New York a few months back (above yours) indicates the R179 5 car set only has to run through burn in, since it’s logically not a different model.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

The MTA board has just confirmed that “at least 2 cars” are being added to the order, confirming the rumor of 318 cars. However, apparently they’re discussing other options with Bombardier. Byford also mentioned that 13 (8 car) trains were pulled from service, and 7 of those should be returning today.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Eagle Railfanning said:

The MTA board has just confirmed that “at least 2 cars” are being added to the order, confirming the rumor of 318 cars. However, apparently they’re discussing other options with Bombardier. Byford also mentioned that 13 (8 car) trains were pulled from service, and 7 of those should be returning today.

Thanks for the update.

2 hours ago, Eagle Railfanning said:

Would that mean less 8-car units? It’s still not too late to modify the Order and make remaining cars into 10-car units.

3 minutes ago, VIP said:

Would that mean less 8-car units? It’s still not too late to modify the Order and make remaining cars into 10-car units.

Yeah, 1 more 10 car unit and 1 less 8 car unit. Don’t forget that they said other options are being discussed however.

2 hours ago, Eagle Railfanning said:

This doesn’t answer one important question and that question is: 

what happened to 3070-3073?

• Thanks 2

I think those other options are to get more B cars and insert them Into some of the existing 8 car units to create more 10 car sets which would make A lot of sense.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

I think those other options are to get more B cars and insert them Into some of the existing 8 car units to create more 10 car sets which would make A lot of sense.

That would be awesome if this happens and it would be even more awesome if we end up having 17 10 car r179's instead of 12 as a result of this modifications. 17 trains would cover the entire C fleet or about 50% of the A. However, the question is, since I don't know anything about engineering or mechanics, would that option work??

On 1/19/2019 at 11:02 PM, Around the Horn said:

Inventory list? Is this like a roster or something like that?

An inventory of the unit matchups (i.e. 3210/11/12/3213).

This new one shows the 4-car units up to 3237 (instead of 3245), and the 5-car units as 3010-3049, then 3238 and upwards, not 3246.

• Upvote 1