R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

4 hours ago, Lance said:

Expect a slowdown in new arrivals as Transit has halted delivery of any new cars until the existing problems with the rest of the car class can be resolved.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nyc-transit-stop-taking-train-cars-bombardier-until-144525931--finance.html

It's a good thing that these issues are being addressed now and not a few years later.

Other car models have suffered from issues while being delivered in the past.

Those who are hating the r179's are the same people who want the r42's and r32's to be in service forever, and ever, and ever!!!!!!

However, the r42's and r32's will be retired!!! It's just a matter of when. 😉

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It's a good thing that these issues are being addressed now and not a few years later.

Those who are hating the r179's are the same people who want the r42's and r32's to be in service forever, and ever, and ever!!!!!!

Again you're talking out of your ads

The R179's aren't replacing the R32's,  the R211's are.

The R42's aren't being retired yet. Even when all the cars are here, they'll still be running.

People don't like these cars because they have constant issues.

25 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The R42's aren't being retired yet. Even when all the cars are here, they'll still be running.

I never said that they were being retired right now. The r179's are still delayed. However, 2 to 3 years from now, the r42's and r32's will be history, but of course the r42's will retire before the r32's.

3 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Oof. This is why many fans don't like these cars. Including me. 

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

People also didn’t like the R142s when they first entered service. And those cars, too, had constant issues taking them out of service back then. They didn’t like the R142As either, even though those were Kawasaki products. Because, railfan windows (duh!). I remember all the long threads on the late SubTalk of foamers who were overjoyed every time a train of R142s or R142As got ordered out of service. It was quite obnoxious if I may say so myself. In fact, some rail fans still hate them today. They’re still complaining today about “no railfan windows” and “foreign-made junk (neither of which is true, though the polarized cab window isn’t as good as a clear view out a storm door. But try telling them that!)

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

They were the same people on SubTalk who wanted the Redbirds to be in service forever and ever back in 2000-2002. They were perfectly happy with rusty old carbon steel trains from the late 1950s and early 1960s, yet they probably didn’t (and wouldn’t) drive around in a late 1950s or early 1960s Chevy, Ford or Dodge. Except they weren’t the ones riding them on a regular basis, unlike me who rode them every day on the (2) and (5).

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

This is a completely meaningless debate that ultimately contributes nothing to anybody's life.

There are as many different opinions about the cars as there are people who've had anything to do with them. There's no need to slag off either side for holding the views that they do, unless they start calling for decrepit cars to remain in service longer than is appropriate, or for perfectly serviceable cars to be retired just because they're no longer fresh and new.

3150-3153 is back in service coupled to 3158-3161 on the (C). Rode it myself...

I personally love these cars because I feel like they have character. The R160s to me are stale but the little quirks on the 179s like the propulsion, the sound of the door motors and the slightly larger FIND screens and end car displays make them interesting to me (and TBH I just like the design more) 

17 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I personally love these cars because I feel like they have character. The R160s to me are stale but the little quirks on the 179s like the propulsion, the sound of the door motors and the slightly larger FIND screens and end car displays make them interesting to me (and TBH I just like the design more) 

I like the heated passenger seats.  Comes in handy when I'm on the J going to work. 

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Lol...I still didn't ride the R179's yet...Lately ive been taking the (J) to from work and evertime i wait an R160 or an R32 show's up...The other day i decided to wait for the next train...An R143 showed up...Ill try the (C) next week

30 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Lol...I still didn't ride the R179's yet...Lately ive been taking the (J) to from work and evertime i wait an R160 or an R32 show's up...The other day i decided to wait for the next train...An R143 showed up...Ill try the (C) next week

This doesn't make sense. If you've been taking the (J) recently you should've encountered a set of R179s by now. Also, the R32s left the line some time ago.

2 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Heres the thing,  the 32s seats aren't heated on purpose.  They were just designed to have both the door motors and heaters placed there while the 179s were purposely designed to have heated seats. 

Really? I thought they just moved the heaters for the cars back under the seats. 

28 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

Really? I thought they just moved the heaters for the cars back under the seats. 

The heaters were always under the seats.  That's why the 32s seats get warm. It's inside the compartment that has the seats along with the door motors. But with the 179s, not only are the heaters still under the seats, but the seats themselves are heated. That's why the seats on every other car doesn't warm up.  

3 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

r32's or r42's?? I don't think there's any r32's left at ENY.

6 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

This doesn't make sense. If you've been taking the (J) recently you should've encountered a set of R179s by now. Also, the R32s left the line some time ago.

Most of them were oos, the J had more R160's and R143's running than R179's. I usually catch a R179 when I take the (J). 

17 hours ago, Lawrence St said:
18 hours ago, Lance said:

Expect a slowdown in new arrivals as Transit has halted delivery of any new cars until the existing problems with the rest of the car class can be resolved.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nyc-transit-stop-taking-train-cars-bombardier-until-144525931--finance.html

Where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, when they took them out of service the first time...

Countdown holding at 3209...........Forgot about the missing 3070-73.  I wonder how much they've been picked apart/modified by now?

15 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Yesterday, I seen four R179s on the (J)and one on the (Z).

I taken 3094 yesterday and I was pretty cold until I sat down and my initial thought was, "Yo, who was sitting here? They really burnt the whole seat!"

Then I forgot that the seats were heated. 

23 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

He just copied and pasted that. That was a response from MONTHS ago, word for word Verbatim...

Wouldn't it be easier to send the rest of the 8 cars to CI instead of Piktin?

Move would be as so:

179 to CI -> (G) 's R68 moves to (N) / (Q) / (W) -> R160 from CI moves to Jamaica -> R46 moves to the (A) / (C) -> R32 to CI for (B) . Cycle repeats with R32.

Edited by Train92