Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
East New York

R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Program Update effective 2/20/19

E70AE3B5-BCC7-4242-8958-215EA3B3E968.jpeg

2A3D4B44-9846-4D37-8FFE-88142B572B51.jpeg

844D9F11-6BFF-4B1B-A0AA-CEEF1E3D444B.jpeg

D143F871-E911-4F90-BF83-14B590D436A2.jpeg

018FCF27-0E25-47C4-8133-9E14E0160D65.jpeg

FCAB8EC7-FC4C-45EB-95CC-8F213A2E4F1E.jpeg

Message added by East New York

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

I hope you're not reffering to the summer swap which hasnt happened in what,  two summers?  Didn't they fix thr A/C units?  They did, didn't they.  You know where the 32s will be this summer?  Barring a Fleet shift,  on the C just like last summer. 

They only had 8 sets on the (C) not 18 and even with those 8 sets, they were cars going oos due to bad a/c while the ones on the (J) were fine with the exeption of 2 cars having bad a/c. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Is 3190-3197 still doing burn in or is it in passenger service yet?

 

20 hours ago, Calvin said:

Still doing burn in for now. Not yet in passenger service. 

Mentioned as of now, 3190-7 is in-service. 6 sets in-total for now on the (C) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Does anyone know what mods 3010-3019 received when it went back to Bombardier?

I don't know, but the 10-car R179 (A) will be in service by Sunday!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going back to the (C) assignment, the R160A 4 car sets from ENY were there as a summer swap but when the next summer swap was over, the 160s stayed longer to cover-service for the 179 arrivals iirc

Edited by Calvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol at this "source".....quite a lot of us know who that is. No need to be cryptic about it, it's not even exclusive information anymore. Just say that it'll be in service and be done with it, no need to drag it on.

Edited by Cait Sith
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes if anybody tries to look for it on Sunday, I'm only saying that because the (A) is the longest line in the system you could be waiting forever for that damn train to show up. Lets hope Bombardier delivers some more 5 car sets soon so the (A) can have quite a few 179s sets instead of only 3010 - 3019 for a few months if they fellow the original delivery plan.

 

 

When the 4 car sets debuted the J wasn't running into the Manhattan due to a G.O so that made it much easier to find. I'm pretty sure someone will be giving frequent updates on those facebook railfan groups so maybe it won't be hard to find for most fanners...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 4CNRailfan said:

Does anyone have a link to the source stating that the R179 (A) will go into service on Sunday?

Whether or not it happens this Sunday, the 10 car r179 needs to complete the 30 day passenger test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Whether or not it happens this Sunday, the 10 car r179 needs to complete the 30 day passenger test.

Okay...yea, we all know that. And we’re just waiting for that first day...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Lol at this "source".....quite a lot of us know who that is. No need to be cryptic about it, it's not even exclusive information anymore. Just say that it'll be in service and be done with it, no need to drag it on.

Everyone's covering their asses in case it doesn't happen. Can't be blamed if they were just reporting what someone else told them. Its like CNN with a Buzzfeed article and about just as hilarious.

  • LMAO! 5
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 8:12 PM, Calvin said:
On 2/6/2019 at 12:08 AM, Calvin said:

Still doing burn in for now. Not yet in passenger service. 

Mentioned as of now, 3190-7 is in-service. 6 sets in-total for now on the (C) 

There's still no confirmation on the delivery of 3206-09.  One train is now burning in for (C):  3198-3205.

Deliveries still seem to be on hold.  This will impact progress on the remainder and change the schedule again.  (=MORE "free" cars?)

Pilot train aside, it looks like the 5-car R-179's ((A)) won't be around until well into the spring now.  Deliveries completed in early fall.

Don't know yet as it depends on resolution of these production delays (in turn on better reliability of the product from Bombardier).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, m2fwannabe said:

There's still no confirmation on the delivery of 3206-09.  One train is now burning in for (C):  3198-3205.

Deliveries still seem to be on hold.  This will impact progress on the remainder and change the schedule again.  (=MORE "free" cars?)

Pilot train aside, it looks like the 5-car R-179's ((A)) won't be around until well into the spring now.  Deliveries completed in early fall.

Don't know yet as it depends on resolution of these production delays (in turn on better reliability of the product from Bombardier).

They're not on hold, cars are coming in. 3210-13 just got delivered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

There's still no confirmation on the delivery of 3206-09.  One train is now burning in for (C):  3198-3205.

Deliveries still seem to be on hold.  This will impact progress on the remainder and change the schedule again.  (=MORE "free" cars?)

Pilot train aside, it looks like the 5-car R-179's ((A)) won't be around until well into the spring now.  Deliveries completed in early fall.

Don't know yet as it depends on resolution of these production delays (in turn on better reliability of the product from Bombardier).

Deliveries have resumed. It's just that railfans are just more focused on what's happening with the r179's on the A and C trains.

I have an impression that some of the mods done to the 10 car r179's may be related to CTBC. 8th Avenue will be CTBC and only r160's, r179's and r211's will run through 8th Avenue once it's CTBC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposedly the 10 car 179 will start running on the A line starting Sunday, how do I know? I work the A line. The hours were not confirmed but it MAY be all 3 tours with supervision on board to help familiarize the operating crews. & and when I write "Supposedly" it's because I'll believe it when I see it and things always change in transit. Thank you, have a nice day. 

edit: Ok it's confirmed that the train will be running on the Am & PM tour coming out of pitkin yard. 

Edited by Dan05979
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dan05979 said:

Supposedly the 10 car 179 will start running on the A line starting Sunday, how do I know? I work the A line. The hours were not confirmed but it MAY be all 3 tours with supervision on board to help familiarize the operating crews. & and when I write "Supposedly" it's because I'll believe it when I see it and things always change in transit. Thank you, have a nice day. 

edit: Ok it's confirmed that the train will be running on the Am & PM tour coming out of pitkin yard. 

All three branches? Well two techincally...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it safe to assume first trip will start at 207? So is that like a Long deadhead? Or maybe on the Rockaway/Ozone Park because it’s closer to Pitkin Yard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Is it safe to assume first trip will start at 207? So is that like a Long deadhead? Or maybe on the Rockaway/Ozone Park because it’s closer to Pitkin Yard?

No way will it deadhead all the way to 207th from Pikin, it will most likely start at either Lefferts or Mott Ave. There's no (A) line runs that start at Eucild on Sundays (If there is, they aren't shown on the public timetable on the TA's website)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, R32 3838 said:
13 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

There's still no confirmation on the delivery of 3206-09.  One train is now burning in for (C):  3198-3205.

Deliveries still seem to be on hold.  This will impact progress on the remainder and change the schedule again.  (=MORE "free" cars?)

Pilot train aside, it looks like the 5-car R-179's ((A)) won't be around until well into the spring now.  Deliveries completed in early fall.

Don't know yet as it depends on resolution of these production delays (in turn on better reliability of the product from Bombardier).

They're not on hold, cars are coming in. 3210-13 just got delivered.

Thank you!

The vendor identification report still only showed deliveries up to 3205 as of February 6.  It could be 3206-09 have not yet been in final assembly and/or static testing at Pitkin.

The latest schedule that I know of shows 4-car sets (last but not least 3070-73, finally?!?) being delivered through the end of March, then the first of the "production" 5-car sets showing up in the first week of April.  Could be that final 4-car link will be put off again, and the third 5-car set substituted.

Depending on how well they test, it would be 4-6 weeks before the next of the 5-car sets enter revenue service after that.  Sounds like Mothers' Day or thereabouts.

If there were no more delays (unlikely) the entire 318-car fleet would be in service on or about October 1.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the first time in several weeks, I saw an r46 on the C. Therefore, the plans for making the C full length are still alive, although it may happen on a much slower pace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

No way will it deadhead all the way to 207th from Pikin, it will most likely start at either Lefferts or Mott Ave. There's no (A) line runs that start at Eucild on Sundays (If there is, they aren't shown on the public timetable on the TA's website)

Knowing how overly cautious and restrictive supervision is, the debut of the first 10-car set of R179s will most likely stay away from The Rockaways on Sunday. If anything happens, better it not be over an open body of water far removed from the rest of the system/hard to reach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

Knowing how overly cautious and restrictive supervision is, the debut of the first 10-car set of R179s will most likely stay away from The Rockaways on Sunday. If anything happens, better it not be over an open body of water far removed from the rest of the system/hard to reach.

This post..... Makes me facepalm so hard!  

As former train crew,  this is absolutely ridiculous. Like nothing's ever happened there before and can't do anything outside of say, 4 feet of snow.  Like they've never tested new techs out in Rockaway before.  

If it runs on Sunday,  or anyday,  best believe it will go to rockaway.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

No way will it deadhead all the way to 207th from Pikin, it will most likely start at either Lefferts or Mott Ave. There's no (A) line runs that start at Eucild on Sundays (If there is, they aren't shown on the public timetable on the TA's website)

yes there is, around sunday morning at 7ish there is a pitkin put in that goes in service from euclid to lefferts. that may be the 1st run of the 179. Am i sure? No. deadheading to 207? No. Deadheading to FR on a sunday? highly doubt it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

No way will it deadhead all the way to 207th from Pikin, it will most likely start at either Lefferts or Mott Ave. There's no (A) line runs that start at Eucild on Sundays (If there is, they aren't shown on the public timetable on the TA's website)

Theres three options 1)it could be an Xtra put-in 2)deadhead to Mott/lefferts or 3)be sent to 207 a day or so prior to it running.  And it doesn't have to be restricted to Pitkin BTW.   Pitkin just happens to be closer to the Flats for testing,  stores most of the C trains for service and does have Crews trained but so does 207. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn’t the first 4-car R179 part of the schedule? I doubt MTA would waste money on doing an xtra put-in. But if they do move it to 207 a day prior, that works too. Keep ur eyes peeled! LOL 

There are 3 trains that head north from Euclid to Lefferts departing at Euclid at 6:45, 7:26 and 7:45 respectively.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.