R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 minute ago, junjun441 said:

It has reached 207th street. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like it’s coming back down. Layover? 

Someone else please confirm. Just updating for anyone interested.

Rumors are that it's heading to Rockaway Park, not sure about that though as I'm at 207 as well.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, DaPr03 said:

Rumors are that it's heading to Rockaway Park, not sure about that though as I'm at 207 as well.

The best person to ask about that would probably be the people in those offices that control when a train can depart the station tbh

4 minutes ago, MTA Bus said:

All the Rockaway Park trips start/end at 168.

Not all. The final s/b is a put-in at Dyckman. 

Before,  about two or three trips use to leave out of Dyckman. 

And I believe a few northbounds drop out at 207 now 

Edited by Far Rock Depot

This 10 car set is generating more excitement than when the 8 car set first went into service on the (J)  lol.

As for it running to Rockaway Park, I believe all Rock Park specials are put ins from uptown, do only one trip to Rock Park and layup out there. I doubt they will use an NTT on an Rock Park special until 211s dominate the line.. Those runs are perfect for older cars, why don't they use 32s on them, I don't know. Rumor is politics and those Rock Park riders would get aggy when their rush hour special was an R38 rather than the R44 back in the day, or so I read... 

3 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

This 10 car set is generating more excitement than when the 8 car set first went into service on the (J)  lol.

As for it running to Rockaway Park, I believe all Rock Park specials are put ins from uptown, do only one trip to Rock Park and layup out there. I doubt they will use an NTT on an Rock Park special until 211s dominate the line.. Those runs are perfect for older cars, why don't they use 32s on them, I don't know. Rumor is politics and those Rock Park riders would get aggy when their rush hour special was an R38 rather than the R44 back in the day, or so I read... 

Correct.   The five sets start the day leaving rock park,  head uptown,  lay up in 207 yard and do the trip back to Rock Pk.    As a C/R , a had those PM jobs that started at either Mott or Lefferts,  head uptown,  when on WAA until the trip down to Rock Pk as a Put-in from the yard.

As far as the cars assigned, i heard the same back in the day, but over the years, there were a few 32s assigned to those trips. 

7 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Also, it's safe to say that so far this train has been performing better on the passenger testing than 3058-3065 despite the external issues, such as track fires, vandalism, typical rush hour crowds, etc. Keep in mind that the weather is horrendous and the fact that the 10 car train made it to Rockaways through all the snow and ice and didn't have any issues is a good sign. I'm surprised that there hasn't been any weather related issues on the trains.

8 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Correct.   The five sets start the day leaving rock park,  head uptown,  lay up in 207 yard and do the trip back to Rock Pk.    As a C/R , a had those PM jobs that started at either Mott or Lefferts,  head uptown,  when on WAA until the trip down to Rock Pk as a Put-in from the yard.

As far as the cars assigned, i heard the same back in the day, but over the years, there were a few 32s assigned to those trips. 

A 1 tripper with a bunch of WAA? Man that sounds beautiful to my lazy ears. 

With the way some of these folks are acting obsessed over this train if I have to work the day the 211's enter service I'm booking off.

1 minute ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Also, it's safe to say that so far this train has been performing better on the passenger testing than 3058-3065 despite the external issues, such as track fires, vandalism, typical rush hour crowds, etc. Keep in mind that the weather is horrendous and the fact that the 10 car train made it to Rockaways through all the snow and ice and didn't have any issues is a good sign. I'm surprised that there hasn't been any weather related issues on the trains.

It want bad out in Rockaway weather-wise.  Butbto be honest,  the only equipment issues out there wouldn't be car-type based.   It would be the usual iced third rail,  frozen switches,  frozen signals,  stuck bridge,  etc.  The most I've seen car-wise is frozen doors,  which usually doesn't happen anymore since once it gets to 6 inches of snow and more,  they shut down the line. 

1 minute ago, Jchambers2120 said:

A 1 tripper with a bunch of WAA? Man that sounds beautiful to my lazy ears. 

With the way some of these folks are acting obsessed over this train if I have to work the day the 211's enter service I'm booking off.

Yup.  One trippers,  which I never liked.  I was the one who liked a three tripper on the Charlie! 

And the WAA is before and after meal with a little bit at the end of the trip.  

46 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

I did hear that Rock Park trains mostly start btwn Dyckman St and 168 St.

If this is alright to ask, what's a WAA? Is it like a train starts/ends service at the terminal: the (B) doing a round trip between Bedford Park Blvd and Brighton Beach during the AM rush. 

Edited by Calvin

3 hours ago, DaPr03 said:

Yeah, I felt it as well on 3012. Not sure what was the cause though.

I was on 3012 as well! I took a picture of a LED FIND system... if you felt that knee jerk then maybe I saw you today LOL 😄. Did you take a photo of the R68A layed up in Dyckman?

3 hours ago, junjun441 said:

I was on 3012 as well! I took a picture of a LED FIND system... if you felt that knee jerk then maybe I saw you today LOL 😄. Did you take a photo of the R68A layed up in Dyckman?

Yep, that was me lmfao, I just had to take the shot because I like the A in general

I rode it to beach 60th yesterday afternoon and these cars handle crowds a lot better than the R46's. If it were up to me the (C) would be 100% R46 or 70% R46 and 30% R32's.  And the (A) would have all 14 R179 sets with 10 R32 sets with the rest being R46's. 

There needs to be less R46's on the (A), it's very obvious by riding both the R179 and R32.