R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

According to an article in the AMNY, the MTA "opted against lengthening G trains, as originally planned". Click on this link to READ the article:

https://www.amny.com/transit/l-train-plans-1.27266740

Based on this information, the G may simply borrow some r68's from the B for additional service during Canarsie construction, since the B doesn't run during overnight and weekend.

This also means that the C will most likely keep the 8 car r179 trains until the r211's. There is still a surplus of 8 car trains and not enough 10 car trains to make the C 100% full length. However, the C may still have some full length trains before the r211's.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

According to an article in the AMNY, the MTA "opted against lengthening G trains, as originally planned". Click on this link to READ the article:

https://www.amny.com/transit/l-train-plans-1.27266740

Based on this information, the G may simply borrow some r68's from the B for additional service during Canarsie construction, since the B doesn't run during overnight and weekend.

This also means that the C will most likely keep the 8 car r179 trains until the r211's. There is still a surplus of 8 car trains and not enough 10 car trains to make the C 100% full length. However, the C may still have some full length trains before the r211's.

Kiss those R42's goodbye, but in all seriousness the (G) needs to be 8 cars. It gets packed during rush hours. The (C) is still going 10 cars since nothing had been mentioned. It's likely that the (J) will get extended since there's a huge surplus of 8 car trains. 

Also there's more than enough cars to make the (C) full length, there's extra R32's that the (C) could use to go 10 cars. If the (C) doesn't go 10 cars then the (C) will stay with 8 car R179's and 8 car R32's while the rest of the 8 car trains stay at ENY. 

MTA moving backwards instead of foward.

20 minutes ago, mine248 said:

Wait...why? Foamers? Software fails?

Nah, probably the train was behind schedule and the C/R forgot to turn it on. It happened on the C a few days ago. The FIND was off from 168th Street to 135th Street. No big deal.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

Kiss those R42's goodbye, but in all seriousness the (G) needs to be 8 cars. It gets packed during rush hours. The (C) is still going 10 cars since nothing had been mentioned. It's likely that the (J) will get extended since there's a huge surplus of 8 car trains. 

I doubt that the J will get extended, since there's always issues along 4th Avenue/Dekalb Avenue, especially during the evenings. I think the G will get the 8 car r160's with the r211's. Let's see what happens.

3 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I doubt that the J will get extended, since there's always issues along 4th Avenue/Dekalb Avenue, especially during the evenings. I think the G will get the 8 car r160's with the r211's. Let's see what happens.

wait , what do you mean by the J might be extended and what does 4th Ave gotta do with a J extension 

5 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I honestly don't see the problem with extending the (J) on 4th Avenue, it would really help out (R) service as it is not frequent enough, even with the extra (W) trains going into Coney Island yard. The only reason they couldn't extend the (J) earlier is because the R32's could not fit in the Montague Street tunnel, but now that they're gone they can be sent down into the Montague Street Tunnel on 4th Avenue down to somewhere like Bay Parkway or Bay Ridge-95th Street with no real problems.

2 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

wait , what do you mean by the J might be extended and what does 4th Ave gotta do with a J extension 

It's not going to happen. It was just a simple suggestion.

If by any chance the MTA decides at some point in the future to extend the J past Broad street, it would go to Bay Parkway, where the M terminated before 2010. But right now, I don't even think the MTA is even thinking about it. 

2 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It's not going to happen. It was just a simple suggestion and it's a really good suggestion.

If by any chance the MTA decides at some point in the future to extend the J past Broad street, it would go to Bay Parkway, where the M terminated before 2010. But right now, I don't even think the MTA is even thinking about it. 

3 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It's not going to happen. It was just a simple suggestion.

Well if they're not going to extend the (J), they at least then need to have more frequent (W) service, I know that the (brownM) lost it's route to Bay Parkway because of poor ridership back in 2010, but ridership has really gone up since then, especially with the congestion at Atlantic Avenue-Pacific Street.

23 minutes ago, LinesEM said:

I honestly don't see the problem with extending the (J) on 4th Avenue, it would really help out (R) service as it is not frequent enough, even with the extra (W) trains going into Coney Island yard. The only reason they couldn't extend the (J) earlier is because the R32's could not fit in the Montague Street tunnel, but now that they're gone they can be sent down into the Montague Street Tunnel on 4th Avenue down to somewhere like Bay Parkway or Bay Ridge-95th Street with no real problems.

16 minutes ago, LinesEM said:

Well if they're not going to extend the (J), they at least then need to have more frequent (W) service, I know that the (brownM) lost it's route to Bay Parkway because of poor ridership back in 2010, but ridership has really gone up since then, especially with the congestion at Atlantic Avenue-Pacific Street.

I agree that the R shouldn't be the only local train along 4th Avenue. The only issue is that the D and N trains are running local as of 7 pm every evening to allow work trains to use the express, which I find it ridiculous because it's slowing down service on the D, N and R. If we add the J that would be 4 subway lines using the local track and that would cause huge delays especially when it reaches Dekalb Avenue.

I hope the MTA adds extra trains to the R or extend the W during rush hour, so that local service along 4th Avenue can increase.

5 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I dont think 4th Ave can handle more cars.

7 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I agree that the R shouldn't be the only local train along 4th Avenue. The only issue is that the D and N trains are running local as of 7 pm every evening to allow work trains to use the express, which I find it ridiculous because it's slowing down service on the D, N and R. If we add the J that would be 4 subway lines using the local track and that would cause huge delays especially when it reaches Dekalb Avenue.

Maybe just have the (J) go to 4 Av rush hours only like the (brownM)?

7 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I hope the MTA adds extra trains to the R or extend the W during rush hour, so that local service along 4th Avenue can increase.

Do you know why are work trains in the express track and when will they be done?