R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a total of 50 R42s remaining, 2 in Avenue X IIRC and only 48 R42s in ENY but only 40 R179 coming in which leaves 8 R42s in ENY and total of 10 R42s period.

In Ave X, one is a R40m and the other is an R42 but they're retired and also might be preserved. 50 are in eny but only 40 are used leaving 10 as spares. There are also 14 in 207 which may get scrapped or reefed.

SIR will be getting R46 cars to replace the R44s once the (MTA) receives the R-179.

WOW! Really? The MTA's original plan was to have 179s on SIR. 46s are only 2 years younger that the 44s. Do they really expect the 46s to last that long? SI hasnt seen new cars since the 44s in 1973! They also have to modify what, approximately 90 cars to FRA standards and cab signaling? I dont see them lasting that long. Theyre already 36 years old!

WOW! Really? The MTA's original plan was to have 179s on SIR. 46s are only 2 years younger that the 44s. Do they really expect the 46s to last that long?

Yes. The R46s are ~37, and in much better shape than the R44s at that age. They'll last with no problem.

SI hasnt seen new cars since the 44s in 1973!

That is true (and sad). But for the sake of historical precedence:

The (A) and (C) have historically had the oldest fleet in the system. Not counting the recent addition of the R46s, the last new cars the lines had were.....the R46's (when the (C) was the (CC) and a good 70% of this board weren't even thoughts).

The (G) only gets something new when the (F) is (f)ubared on weekends.

The (R) doesn't fare any better in terms of fleet age (the occasional R160, but its still all 1970s retread).

Cant do the IRT for obvious reasons. As for the modifications and all that, it can be done. It's been done before (when the R44SI were going through GOH) and it'll be done when they retire those rust buckets.

All this talk of 60 or 75 footers, isn't there a small possiblity that the R179's could be 67 footers? They can be used on the (J)(M)(Z) and (L) with special modification. If I remember correctly, BMT Standards were 67 Ft., but they had special traction motors and trucks to allow them pass through the curves of the Myrtle/Canarsie lines.

Even though the A/B Standards were 67 ft long,i don't think they had any special motors or trucks to run along the BMT eastern division.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know in the future are these cars going to be 60' or 75'? When the time arrives to replace equipment lets say the R46 it should be 75'. After all the adjustments they have made in our tunnels. Its only right.

I also feel that we really do not need these cars yet. At least not for another 6-7 years. Last time I checked were broke. I think thats why they keep pushing it back. There is nothing wrong with our R46s and R32. What is wrong is that they junked alot more cars than they needed to. Which I am not surprised that they did. A lot of R32s should of been kept that way they could of junked the 42s that are in the Eastern Division. These are my thoughts on the situation.

I would like to know in the future are these cars going to be 60' or 75'? When the time arrives to replace equipment lets say the R46 it should be 75'. After all the adjustments they have made in our tunnels. Its only right.

I also feel that we really do not need these cars yet. At least not for another 6-7 years. Last time I checked were broke. I think thats why they keep pushing it back. There is nothing wrong with our R46s and R32. What is wrong is that they junked alot more cars than they needed to. Which I am not surprised that they did. A lot of R32s should of been kept that way they could of junked the 42s that are in the Eastern Division. These are my thoughts on the situation.

All signs are pointing to 60'. The R32s are showing their age, and they need to go, but not as urgently as the R42s.

The R46s aren't going to be replaced by the R179s, the R46s will be here until at least 2015, and will be ousted by the R211s. The R179 was originally intended to replace the R44s (and thus were designed to be 75 footers), but the R44s had to go badly and now we're here.

Ok I see. This order is just specifically designed to replace the R44. That is understandable. Thank you for helping me understand. The R44 was in terrible condition. The R42s are atrocious. Sadly those great cars have seen better days. In regards toThe R32 it is showing its age but Its a proven work horse. That is why I was saying it could still do 6 yrs of service.

The cars were originally supposed to be 75', but everyone keeps saying 60' now. We can't wait another 6 or 7 years. Besides that, we wont be getting them anytime soon anyway. The contact has to be awarded, cars have to be built, then they need to be approved by the TA for service. Its time for the R32's to go, and the 42's won't be too far behind. We have plenty of money for buses and subway cars. Many R46's will need to be replaced as well. See my post below.

All signs are pointing to 60'. The R32s are showing their age, and they need to go, but not as urgently as the R42s.

The R46s aren't going to be replaced by the R179s, the R46s will be here until at least 2015, and will be ousted by the R211s. The R179 was originally intended to replace the R44s (and thus were designed to be 75 footers), but the R44s had to go badly and now we're here.

The R46's will be replaced so to speak as many of them will be displaced by the R179, and transfered to Staten Island in the coming years.

Just put it this way The TA needs to do another SMS this time replace the A/C's on the R32's, The R46's WILL NOT GO TO SI, They already tried doing that (unless something changes) because SI wants New RailCars.

Here's my input on this:

Why Order Now 2nd ave subway will be opening in 2018 will just make the R179's a Big ass order so this way they won't be short of equipment, The R32's won't go nowhere until there is enough cars to replace them the R46's are staying here for awhile they are too good in shape to be replaced, the R211 would replace most or all of them, You guys have to remember the MTA is is a Bad situation right now The money needs to go to the stations and not towards new subway cars.

They need to do a small rehab to the R32's so this way they can make it until the new car order is here, and from a TA source they are staying put until 2014-15 so They have to stay and the R32's still look good for their age and Now I see 207th doing the best they can to keep them in running shape.