Lefferts Blvd/Mott Av To 207 St — 3:25 PM

Mott Av to 207 St — 4:04 PM/4:30 PM

207 to Lefferts Blvd — 5:58 PM/6:35 PM

Now that it's Saturday also, there will be new schedules for the day

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:

162 cars = 3050-3069, 3074-3205, 3010-3019 delivered through December 28.  That's all confirmed.

Am unable to establish proof that there have been deliveries since then as yet.

If not, there's a hold--and more delays.

I finally have "irrefutable" confirmation on the latest deliveries!

3206-3213 are in the initial stages of testing at Pitkin.  3214-3217 were to be deposited at 207 Street this week (as of February 15).  Presumably (hopefully) they were.

That would bring us up to 174 cars delivered overall.

So, if there are no forthcoming interruptions, the remaining six 4-car sets (3218-3237 and 3070-3073) are projected to be on hand by end of March.

If no other delays, the first sets of production 5-car sets should be at NYCT by mid-March, and the very last cars delivered in the first half of September.

Lets see how long THIS timetable lasts.... 

And I’ve calculated the times of the R179 A train for Saturday. 

6:23 AM: R179 A train departs Lefferts, arriving at 207 at 7:42 AM

7:59 AM: Train départs 207, arriving at Far Rockaway at 9:38 AM

9:58 AM: train départs Far Rockaway, arriving at 207 at 11:40 AM

12 PM: train departs 207 for Lefferts

3 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Honestly, the reason why people are always saying "where's the R179 (A)?" is because they don't wanna be stuck waiting at a specific station for a long time just for the train to arrive/pass by, especially since the (A) is the longest line there is. But yeah, it does get annoying when the pages of this thread are cluttered with these types of statements. 

I have a few solutions to this problem:

-Waiting at Chambers St or Fulton St. It's in the middle of the line, so it'll take the same amount of times to catch it coming from Queens/Brooklyn and/or Inwood-207 St.

-Asking friendly transit personnel who work the (A) to get word of where it is/and its intervals.

-Riding an R46 or R32 (A) either uptown or downtown to see if it passes the R179 (A) heading in the opposite direction. If you see the R179 (A) heading in the aforementioned direction while on the R32/R46, you can get off at the next stop and chase after the former on another (A)

-Be patient and wait until the other 13 10-car sets are all delivered and placed into (A) service.

Those are good solutions, although the 1st and 3rd are the best solutions.

7 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Honestly, the reason why people are always saying "where's the R179 (A)?" is because they don't wanna be stuck waiting at a specific station for a long time just for the train to arrive/pass by, especially since the (A) is the longest line there is. But yeah, it does get annoying when the pages of this thread are cluttered with these types of statements.

It is annoying because the (A) will eventually shine through with the R211s, not just with the R179s. That and the fact that we have a good 3 to 5 decades to ride them as well as the other current NTTs. That is, unless it is your very first time or better yet, if you only have several more days, weeks, or months to live before you die because of whatever your doctor told you. That is fine and great. Otherwise, why should they care about any of the NTTs when we have the SMEEs getting ready to be thrown out the window as soon as their future replacements take over anyway? They gonna spend so much time taking pictures and videos of the NTTs and then several years later, they wanna cry and moan about the loss of their favorite old cars. They gonna be wondering where all that time went while their favorite old cars were still alive at the time of the phase-in of their replacements and nothing to take pictures and videos of besides the occasional transit events. A forum is designed for discussions, not a tracking-like system.

Btw, none of your three suggestions are a good idea and don't really make a difference. At least to me.

Back to topic.

Edited by Jemorie

2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

It is annoying because the (A) will eventually shine through with the R211s, not just with the R179s. That and the fact that we have a good 3 to 5 decades to ride them as well as the other current NTTs. That is, unless it is your very first time or better yet, if you only have several more days, weeks, or months to live before you die because of whatever your doctor told you. That is fine and great. Otherwise, why should they care about any of the NTTs when we have the SMEEs getting ready to be thrown out the window as soon as their future replacements take over anyway? They gonna spend so much time taking pictures and videos of the NTTs and then several years later, they wanna cry and moan about the loss of their favorite old cars. They gonna be wondering where all that time went while their favorite old cars were still alive at the time of the phase-in of their replacements and nothing to take pictures and videos of besides the occasional transit events. A forum is designed for discussions, not a tracking-like system.

Btw, none of your three suggestions are a good idea and don't really make a difference. At least to me.

Back to topic.

Several years?? Some are already kicking and screaming about the retirement of the r42's and r32's and they still hope that both will stay in service forever and forever. A lot of railfans are still pissed that the MTA is changing plans in terms of car assignments, but the MTA has the final word.

Just so you guys know, the times for the 179s are not consistent. Last Sunday, it ended its trip at Far Rockaway and went to the yard around 9:30-9:45PM. This past Sunday & Today, it ended its trip from Lefferts and went into the yard around 8:30PM.

And the last thing you guys need to do is bother personnel about the train. When it ran on day one, a ton of fans were bothering (A) line personnel about it....

It's great to see the R179s in-service on the Rockaways and seeing Fulton St line with new techs.

Just a tip (not to be disrespectful to others): storm-doors are not to be opened or played within the entire train. This also concerns electronics being held and by accident: it fell off your hand and somewhere it couldn't be picked up

Edited by Calvin

12 minutes ago, Calvin said:

It's great to see the R179s in-service on the Rockaways.

Just a tip (not to be disrespectful to others): storm-doors are not to be opened or played within the entire train. 

And yeah, if y’all play around with the doors too much, the MTA will lock it (as I heard). So if that train god forbid gets on fire, you can blame those fools for messing with the storm doors

7 minutes ago, mine248 said:

And yeah, if y’all play around with the doors too much, the MTA will lock it (as I heard). So if that train god forbid gets on fire, you can blame those fools for messing with the storm doors

Storm doors can be locked and unlocked remotely from any operating cab. This is LITERALLY a non-issue lmao.

I’m gonna say this again maybe the second time’s a charm these cars are just R160 “3.0’s” no need to vandalize or harass people over this set. Plus passengers already picked up that these were “J trains before”  (not knowing the difference between 8-car and 10-car obviously).

15 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

Storm doors can be locked and unlocked remotely from any operating cab. This is LITERALLY a non-issue lmao.

Wow. I’m surprised at this (like if this is the case, then why don’t they just lock them by default?)

11 minutes ago, mine248 said:

Wow. I’m surprised at this (like if this is the case, then why don’t they just lock them by default?)

8 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Only on 75 ft cars. So it literally is an issue. 

Storm doors are required to be locked on 67 foot cars and up due to the swing of the cars when navigating tight corners and switches, and they are. 46, 68, and 68A doors are locked, as are the storm doors on the BMT Standards when they are used for Museum services, but from my understanding can be opened by the crew in an emergency. There's no rule requiring their locking on shorter cars, and I think until recently, it was not illegal to move between cars that way (hence the installation of pantograph gates on the 40 Slants. Hell, back 40 years ago before air conditioning, storm doors were clipped open to improve airflow in the cars.

The only reason I see for this rule (it being illegal to pass between cars using the storm doors in the absence of an emergency) being implemented in our time is the lawsuit happy nature of our society. Back in the day, if you f**ked up and injured yourself or died, it was understood that you were at fault. Nowadays, every idiot around the corner is trying to make a quick buck, and will sue anyone and anything for whatever they can get.

Edited by Fan Railer