R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

4 minutes ago, mine248 said:

Wow. I’m surprised at this (like if this is the case, then why don’t they just lock them by default?)

The feature is only on 75ft cars.  Those are locked by default for safety reasons. The fact that when on curves, the doors are extremely misaligned and the anticlimbers are narrow.  On every other car,  they are left unlocked to assure that if any incident happens,  passengers can escape to the other cars.   If you remember when the 142s and 160s first arrived they had handles on both door panels , now only one of them has a handle.  This is because in Europe,  a car full of passengers got robbed because the criminals wrapped a chain between the two handles,  locking everyone in.  This can't happen with only one handle.  This is what was told to us by our TSS in school car. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

Storm doors are required to be locked on 67 foot cars and up due to the swing of the cars when navigating tight corners and switches, and they are. 46, 68, and 68A doors are locked, as are the storm doors on the BMT Standards when they are used for Museum services, but from my understanding can be opened by the crew in an emergency. There's no rule requiring their locking on shorter cars, and I think until recently, it was not illegal to move between cars that way. Hell, back 40 years ago before air conditioning, storm doors were clipped open to improve airflow in the cars.

The R110B was never locked. 67ft is the maximum length allowed to be unlocked as long as the truck center difference is the same as the 110B, which was slightly longer than the standards. The swing isn't too extreme.   I asked this in New Car Engineering and again in School Car. 

Edited by Far Rock Depot

Just now, Lawrence St said:

Since the R46 and 68's are 75 feet, how come they manage to not hit each other on the 36th St curve into 9th Av on the (D)? 

This is getting unrelated to the 179...

But to answer your question, literally because they measured the clearances throughout the system before they bought those cars and determined where they could go.

6 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

This is getting unrelated to the 179...

But to answer your question, literally because they measured the clearances throughout the system before they bought those cars and determined where they could go.

Fan Railer hit it right on the nose.  Infact, if you go onto NYCSubway.org, youll see pics of a special car they built to mimick the size of the R44s to test the clearances. 

20 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

Storm doors are required to be locked on 67 foot cars and up due to the swing of the cars when navigating tight corners and switches, and they are. 46, 68, and 68A doors are locked, as are the storm doors on the BMT Standards when they are used for Museum services, but from my understanding can be opened by the crew in an emergency. There's no rule requiring their locking on shorter cars, and I think until recently, it was not illegal to move between cars that way (hence the installation of pantograph gates on the 40 Slants. Hell, back 40 years ago before air conditioning, storm doors were clipped open to improve airflow in the cars.

The only reason I see for this rule (it being illegal to pass between cars using the storm doors in the absence of an emergency) being implemented in our time is the lawsuit happy nature of our society. Back in the day, if you f**ked up and injured yourself or died, it was understood that you were at fault. Nowadays, every idiot around the corner is trying to make a quick buck, and will sue anyone and anything for whatever they can get.

There were also several deadly incidents between the cars in the last December. 

12 minutes ago, whz1995 said:

I would like to take the R179 A from 59st st to 125st st express and feel its acceleration. Some of the T/Os drive super fast in this segment with avg speed of 50+mph if my calculation is correct.

That might be a bit... dangerous. Also there are timers on that stretch. But I do think it averages around 40 MPH between 96th and 110th streets.

Full program updates can now be seen at the top 👆of this thread for your convenience. This way everyone can keep current or reference something without having to go back and find the information in a previous post or page. As mentioned elsewhere, this will be rolling out across all major threads in all forums. 

1 hour ago, East New York said:

Full program updates can now be seen at the top 👆of this thread for your convenience. This way everyone can keep current or reference something without having to go back and find the information in a previous post or page. As mentioned elsewhere, this will be rolling out across all major threads in all forums. 

Thanks. Just a note; page 19 is posted twice lol.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:26 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Several years?? Some are already kicking and screaming about the retirement of the r42's and r32's and they still hope that both will stay in service forever and forever. A lot of railfans are still pissed that the MTA is changing plans in terms of car assignments, but the MTA has the final word.

There were likely people who did the same when these 32s and 42s pushed out the Arnines back in the day. They'll get over it eventually. Or they won't. Either way, those old cars are leaving and not even an early retirement of another car class will stop this now.

On 2/18/2019 at 10:31 PM, Cait Sith said:

Just so you guys know, the times for the 179s are not consistent. Last Sunday, it ended its trip at Far Rockaway and went to the yard around 9:30-9:45PM. This past Sunday & Today, it ended its trip from Lefferts and went into the yard around 8:30PM.

And the last thing you guys need to do is bother personnel about the train. When it ran on day one, a ton of fans were bothering (A) line personnel about it....

For those who want a more specific time, yesterday it left 207th at 6:30pm, terminated at Lefferts, and then was NIS heading to the yard at 8:00pm

As for car assignments, I'm still on the fence over them until there's actual solid proof they're changing up.  I don't expect even close-to-accurate info to be final, because nothing is really confirmed at this point, especially considering Cuomo's cancellation of the hard work and planning of the (L) shutdown (which was already said to be definite a few months prior). 

Edited by Coney Island Av

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

As for car assignments, I'm still on the fence over them until there's actual solid proof they're changing up.  I don't expect even close-to-accurate info to be final, because nothing is really confirmed at this point, especially considering Cuomo's cancellation of the hard work and planning of the (L) shutdown (which was already said to be definite a few months prior). 

Oh boy, not this again... I was hoping that the first 10-car set of R179s on the (A) would cause people to forget about this. Too much of a headache. I'll get my wish once more of the 5-car sets start rolling in.

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth