R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are more r32's on the A and more r46's on the C.

If the C goes full length, but the G stays the same way, then the other option for the MTA to manage the surplus of 8 car trains at ENY is to extend the J past Broad street during rush hour. 

In fact according to an article in AMNY, the possibility of a J extension is already being explored.

Click on this link to READ the article

https://www.amny.com/transit/r-train-split-service-1.27559690

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

There are more r32's on the A and more r46's on the C.

If the C goes full length, but the G stays the same way, then the other option for the MTA to manage the surplus of 8 car trains at ENY is to extend the J past Broad street during rush hour. 

In fact according to an article in AMNY, the possibility of a J extension is already being explored.

Click on this link to READ the article

https://www.amny.com/transit/r-train-split-service-1.27559690

Really?🤔the article had more to do with cutting the (R) in two than exploring any possiblity of extending the (J) because the have a surplus of 8car R179....

Side note: The MTA has been upgrading the Switches between Ditmas Ave and 18 Ave...Could be one of the reasons they ain't ready to out right push additional cars to the (G)

1 hour ago, B22viaAtlanticAv said:

Really?🤔the article had more to do with cutting the (R) in two than exploring any possiblity of extending the (J) because the have a surplus of 8car R179....

Side note: The MTA has been upgrading the Switches between Ditmas Ave and 18 Ave...Could be one of the reasons they ain't ready to out right push additional cars to the (G)

Yes, but I doubt the MTA would split the R unless R train riders in Queens, Manhattan and Brooklyn request the R to be split. The article mentions the J extension as an alternative to that idea as well as additional R train services.

The MTA needs to find a way of managing the surplus of 8 car trains. If the G doesn't go full length, the other options would be the C until the r211's, the J extension or some secret way of making some 8 car r179's into 10 car trains.

But one line tho...

"Ben Kabak, of Second Avenue Sagas, said it would be much more fruitful to explore adding R service during rush hours or extending the J train down from lower Manhattan."

Anyways, since Cuomo worked his magic...I don't think the MTA is in any rush to extend or improve anything right now... we just got wait and see...

5 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Yes, but I doubt the MTA would split the R unless R train riders in Queens, Manhattan and Brooklyn request the R to be split. The article mentions the J extension as an alternative to that idea as well as additional R train services.

The MTA needs to find a way of managing the surplus of 8 car trains. If the G doesn't go full length, the other options would be the C until the r211's, the J extension or some secret way of making some 8 car r179's into 10 car trains.

The M was cut from South Brooklyn because of no real demand for it....

sending the J down to South Brooklyn brings back the same issue and then where is it terminating at ?

Bay Ridge ?

Bay Parkway ?

where 

2 hours ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

I think it's because for a very long time (until 1988) the (C) was part time and they never got around to putting it at full length.

He knows why. He just pretends like he doesn’t know why.

And no. The reason is because the shops at 207th Street can only hold 480 feet long trains.

7 hours ago, B22viaAtlanticAv said:

But one line tho...

"Ben Kabak, of Second Avenue Sagas, said it would be much more fruitful to explore adding R service during rush hours or extending the J train down from lower Manhattan."

Anyways, since Cuomo worked his magic...I don't think the MTA is in any rush to extend or improve anything right now... we just got wait and see...

I agree. The MTA has changed so many plans as a result of the cancellation of Canarsie shutdown. It's still unclear what's going to happen once all r179's are in service. The only thing the MTA has confirmed is that the G won't be full length.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

1 hour ago, whz1995 said:

(C) is not packed at all besides from lower Manhattan to mid town in rush hour. I am not seeing any benefit to have full length(C)

You obviously are saying that just because. Just curious, do you ride the line from Brooklyn to Manhattan in the AM?

And keep in mind that the (C) being full length isn’t just extra capacity. It’s also basically a slight increase in service as well. For example, the (C) uses 144 cars (18 trainsets of eight car trains). You add an extra 36 cars (four trains of eight car trains) and that’s a slight increase from 10 minute headways to 7.5 minute headways.

(C) is not packed at all besides from lower Manhattan to mid town in rush hour. I am not seeing any benefit to have full length(C)

Have you taken the C to any station along CPW??

The C gets really crowded especially during the weekends, when there's no B trains running and 81st street is always packed during the daytime (weekdays and weekends).

I am not seeing any benefit to have full length(C)

(C) ridership has been amping up lately and sometimes, even on non rush hour runs, the trains can be packed. It may have been good before as a 4 car set, but you can't sing a song with Barney The Purple Dinosaur to ignore that the (C) will need at least some 8 car sets to handle higher rider numbers for gods sake. 

38 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

You obviously are saying that just because. Just curious, do you ride the line from Brooklyn to Manhattan in the AM?

And keep in mind that the (C) being full length isn’t just extra capacity. It’s also basically a slight increase in service as well. For example, the (C) uses 144 cars (18 trainsets of eight car trains). You add an extra 36 cars (four trains of eight car trains) and that’s a slight increase from 10 minute headways to 7.5 minute headways.

I agree. More C trains are needed and they need to be full length trains not just in Brooklyn, but also along CPW. 81st is overcrowded during the weekends, where the C headways are terrible and there is no B service.

3 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Are you out of your mind? I was crushed in a (C) train just yesterday afternoon...

Hell, I've been on crushed (C) trains all WEEK.....working around the UWS can be a pain in the ass because of that.

Thank god for (B) trains lol.

3198-3205 seems to be done with testing, it should hit service pretty soon.

Edited by Cait Sith

3 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

Wasn't it also due to fleet shortages, at least until recently? 

This was also the effect. Until more R179 trains enter service (as in the 3200s etc.) on the Fulton St line, that'll change. 

Edited by Calvin

1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

Hell, I've been on crushed (C) trains all WEEK.....working around the UWS can be a pain in the ass because of that.

My local stops are 86th on both west side lines. Often on a weekend I'll opt for the (1) just because I know the (C) will be crowded, not stopping due to service changes, and running with lower frequencies than the (1). Often it's a mix of all three reasons. Weekend service either needs some sort of truncated (B) along CPW (e.g. 145th St to 2 Av-Houston, maybe?), or at least more frequent (C) service. 

2 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

My local stops are 86th on both west side lines. Often on a weekend I'll opt for the (1) just because I know the (C) will be crowded, not stopping due to service changes, and running with lower frequencies than the (1). Often it's a mix of all three reasons. Weekend service either needs some sort of truncated (B) along CPW (e.g. 145th St to 2 Av-Houston, maybe?), or at least more frequent (C) service. 

Thank you!!!! Yes!!!! You read my mind. Lol!!! I hope the MTA decides to do both. The sooner the better.

2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

You are saying Capacity V.S. Frequency. MTA won't let you have both at the same time. Its better to have more trains(freq) with R179 although MTA needs more crews for that.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Have you taken the C to any station along CPW??

The C gets really crowded especially during the weekends, when there's no B trains running and 81st street is always packed during the daytime (weekdays and weekends).

I take (A)  from Broadway Junction to 145 st at 8AM and and the other way at 6PM almost every weekday. I agree that 81st st is packed sometimes because of the museum, But I dont agree other stations in CPW are packed from what I observed. I do think MTA needs to have more trains to run CPW local during the weekend while (B) is not running at that time. Or they can just use R46 on the weekend.

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

(C) ridership has been amping up lately and sometimes, even on non rush hour runs, the trains can be packed. It may have been good before as a 4 car set, but you can't sing a song with Barney The Purple Dinosaur to ignore that the (C) will need at least some 8 car sets to handle higher rider numbers for gods sake. 

I mean (C)  with 8 car sets is good enough now.