R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Anyone know the whereabouts of the R179 (A) today? Feel like catching it.

I saw it at about 1pm heading uptown, so according to my math it since did another round trip and would head back towards Queens at some point during the first half of rush hour.

2 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I'm very surprised that it has been a fail free testing month for the 5 car set...the 4 car set failed like what, 6 times during its cycle?

Funny you should say that.  3010-19 are being re-flagged for a renewed 30-Day Test as of yesterday.

1 minute ago, Railfan 007 said:

3010-3019 has ads in the train. Aren't the test sets not supposed to have ads yet? Or is it since more than 15 days have passed, MTA "expects" the train to pass? (Today is Day 24. I miscounted as I forgot the start date lol)

L0B3UZG_ixHTM3BpkHpJdMYRpuEnkWmozCL54SKo

R1mlGRhTmDzKi3zo7fanI3q1KhMEc2PWLKGRvlVz

From my understanding Monday marked the 30th Day... so I’m wondering what happened ?

Just now, Railfan 007 said:

Yeah, I thought so too. However, testing started on February 10th. Its actually been 24 days lol

Oh ok... this 10 car seems to be doing very good so far... I saw a test 8 car yesterday with it signed up as a C... and the LED ring around the Letter C wasn’t lit up... it actually looked better without the ring... wondering if this is a program update ?  

1 minute ago, JFK Depot said:

Oh ok... this 10 car seems to be doing very good so far... I saw a test 8 car yesterday with it signed up as a C... and the LED ring around the Letter C wasn’t lit up... it actually looked better without the ring... wondering if this is a program update ?  

More likely a mistake since I have seen with the LED ring there before as well. I don't see why they'd get rid of it unless for testing purposes, which I cannot confirm.

9 minutes ago, Railfan 007 said:

3010-3019 has ads in the train. Aren't the test sets not supposed to have ads yet? Or is it since more than 15 days have passed, MTA "expects" the train to pass? (Today is Day 24. I miscounted as I forgot the start date lol)

L0B3UZG_ixHTM3BpkHpJdMYRpuEnkWmozCL54SKo

R1mlGRhTmDzKi3zo7fanI3q1KhMEc2PWLKGRvlVz

They still havent fixed that FIND screen?

Edited by Lawrence St

59 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I don't see why they'd get rid of it unless for testing purposes, which I cannot confirm.

For some reason I've seen the ring both out on test R179s, but also in-service trains as well. They usually seem to go back on – maybe it goes off if the C/R changes the FIND mid-route?

Some folks were unable to view the images the first time, since it was required to sign-in with a google account to view them, so here are the same images, but shared properly without the need for a google account. I apologize for the double posting, as it seems like there is a time limit for editing posts (Today I Learned lol)

YLTghTsRmO3-4zKIBP6_g9dXhAm2mp1BpkFhogHO

qKghv1KE8bg89kiw_YcvQCm6V1IowcjksPVhAeuR

7 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Are you saying that they reset the clock??

Yes I was told contact shoes fell off one of the cars in the Rockaways a few days ago, which is why they're resetting the 30 day revenue testing 

7 hours ago, Railfan 007 said:

Some folks were unable to view the images the first time, since it was required to sign-in with a google account to view them, so here are the same images, but shared properly without the need for a google account. I apologize for the double posting, as it seems like there is a time limit for editing posts (Today I Learned lol)

YLTghTsRmO3-4zKIBP6_g9dXhAm2mp1BpkFhogHO

qKghv1KE8bg89kiw_YcvQCm6V1IowcjksPVhAeuR

Can't you just use imgur, instead? :D

20 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

3222-3225 is the next R179 to be delivered.

3224 and 3225 are waiting to cross the GWB as of right now. 

We're almost done with four-car set deliveries. We just need 3070-3, 3226-9, 3230-3, 3234-7 (or four sets), before delivery of the five-cars can commence. 

What are the fleet numbers for this order? I heard extra cars are being included. What are the extra four and five car set numbers?

16 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

3014 was delivered with ads in it way back in 2016, so I don't think there's any "test trains can't have ads" rule.

I was always of the mind that the ad spaces on a brand new car type should be used to advertise the features of the new fleet the way other cities have...

7514927476_d2198467c9_b.jpg

Thing is, with the 179s, there are no glaring differences between these cars and the 160s. While there are cosmetic upgrades and a different propulsion system between the two classes, it's not an entirely new design, unlike what the 211s will be compared to the 160s/179s.

3 minutes ago, Lance said:

Thing is, with the 179s, there are no glaring differences between these cars and the 160s. While there are cosmetic upgrades and a different propulsion system between the two classes, it's not an entirely new design, unlike what the 211s will be compared to the 160s/179s.

Not only that, but I think with every new car class they hold a special "demo" at Hoyt St like they did with the R160's.

4 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Not only that, but I think with every new car class they hold a special "demo" at Hoyt St like they did with the R160's

I was at Hoyt for the R160s.

Interestingly, they did it at my home station, Kew Gardens–Union Turnpike for the R110As.

img_128184.jpg

Car: R-110A (Kawasaki, 1992) 8010 
Photo by: Doug Grotjahn
Collection of: Joe Testagrose
Date: 12/5/1992

[THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE TRANSIT IMAGES OF ALL TIME – It is my home station, A Division cars are on the B Division, requiring gap fillers, old signage can be seen, including an old sign for the Interboro Parkway, you can see the small Union T'pke signs on the columns, and you can see an old E sign on the express track on the right.

img?institutionId=0&user=527681&id=46994

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/26222745/daily_news/ 

Edited by Union Tpke
PHOTO COMMENT