Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
East New York

R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Program Update effective 2/20/19

E70AE3B5-BCC7-4242-8958-215EA3B3E968.jpeg

2A3D4B44-9846-4D37-8FFE-88142B572B51.jpeg

844D9F11-6BFF-4B1B-A0AA-CEEF1E3D444B.jpeg

D143F871-E911-4F90-BF83-14B590D436A2.jpeg

018FCF27-0E25-47C4-8133-9E14E0160D65.jpeg

FCAB8EC7-FC4C-45EB-95CC-8F213A2E4F1E.jpeg

Message added by East New York

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

It would be nice in the summer if 1 set of 10 car R179's run on the rock pk shuttle between rockaway blvd and b116th st. That would be nice.

I'd be more likely running from Rock Bvld. to B116 since that trip has higher ridership to justify using a 10 car set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a somewhat (un)quick question. What would be required to get the (C) up to 10 car? I know that (C) is basically a local and shorter version of the (A) so would it just be a matter of purchasing new 10 car trains or modifying 8 car trains in order, or is it a much larger matter that would require modifications to stations, etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ibroketheprinter said:

I have a somewhat (un)quick question. What would be required to get the (C) up to 10 car? I know that (C) is basically a local and shorter version of the (A) so would it just be a matter of purchasing new 10 car trains or modifying 8 car trains in order, or is it a much larger matter that would require modifications to stations, etc?

No major infrastructure modifications are required. 10-car trains have already served the (C) at various points in time. The only thing that is needed are full length (600-ft, be it 8x75 or 10x60) trains and a will on behalf on the MTA. The former is a non issue now that the (L) won't be shut down, but the latter, for some strange reason, will probably delay implementation of a full length (C).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3222-3225 is the next R179 to be delivered.

3224 and 3225 are waiting to cross the GWB as of right now. 

We're almost done with four-car set deliveries. We just need 3070-3, 3226-9, 3230-3, 3234-7 (or four sets), before delivery of the five-cars can commence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Anyone know the whereabouts of the R179 (A) today? Feel like catching it.

I saw it at about 1pm heading uptown, so according to my math it since did another round trip and would head back towards Queens at some point during the first half of rush hour.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm not mistaken, March 10th will be last day of the 30 day passenger testing for the pilot 10 car train. I wouldn't be surprised if the next 10 car train is ready to be delivered, but is waiting for testing to be completed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very surprised that it has been a fail free testing month for the 5 car set...the 4 car set failed like what, 6 times during its cycle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I'm very surprised that it has been a fail free testing month for the 5 car set...the 4 car set failed like what, 6 times during its cycle?

Funny you should say that.  3010-19 are being re-flagged for a renewed 30-Day Test as of yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

Funny you should say that.  3010-19 are being re-flagged for a renewed 30-Day Test as of yesterday.

Are you saying that they reset the clock??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

Funny you should say that.  3010-19 are being re-flagged for a renewed 30-Day Test as of yesterday.

Source?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

Funny you should say that.  3010-19 are being re-flagged for a renewed 30-Day Test as of yesterday.

Where did this come from?

Edited by U-BahnNYC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3010-3019 has ads in the train. Aren't the test sets not supposed to have ads yet? Or is it since more than 15 days have passed, MTA "expects" the train to pass? (Today is Day 24. I miscounted as I forgot the start date lol)

L0B3UZG_ixHTM3BpkHpJdMYRpuEnkWmozCL54SKo

R1mlGRhTmDzKi3zo7fanI3q1KhMEc2PWLKGRvlVz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Railfan 007 said:

3010-3019 has ads in the train. Aren't the test sets not supposed to have ads yet? Or is it since more than 15 days have passed, MTA "expects" the train to pass? (Today is Day 24. I miscounted as I forgot the start date lol)

L0B3UZG_ixHTM3BpkHpJdMYRpuEnkWmozCL54SKo

R1mlGRhTmDzKi3zo7fanI3q1KhMEc2PWLKGRvlVz

From my understanding Monday marked the 30th Day... so I’m wondering what happened ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JFK Depot said:

From my understanding Monday marked the 30th Day... so I’m wondering what happened ?

Yeah, I thought so too. However, testing started on February 10th. Its actually been 24 days lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Railfan 007 said:

Yeah, I thought so too. However, testing started on February 10th. Its actually been 24 days lol

Oh ok... this 10 car seems to be doing very good so far... I saw a test 8 car yesterday with it signed up as a C... and the LED ring around the Letter C wasn’t lit up... it actually looked better without the ring... wondering if this is a program update ?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JFK Depot said:

Oh ok... this 10 car seems to be doing very good so far... I saw a test 8 car yesterday with it signed up as a C... and the LED ring around the Letter C wasn’t lit up... it actually looked better without the ring... wondering if this is a program update ?  

More likely a mistake since I have seen with the LED ring there before as well. I don't see why they'd get rid of it unless for testing purposes, which I cannot confirm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Railfan 007 said:

3010-3019 has ads in the train. Aren't the test sets not supposed to have ads yet? Or is it since more than 15 days have passed, MTA "expects" the train to pass? (Today is Day 24. I miscounted as I forgot the start date lol)

L0B3UZG_ixHTM3BpkHpJdMYRpuEnkWmozCL54SKo

R1mlGRhTmDzKi3zo7fanI3q1KhMEc2PWLKGRvlVz

They still havent fixed that FIND screen?

Edited by Lawrence St

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

They still havent fixed that FIND screen?

IIRC, its still the same way on the J FIND screen for the R179s, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3014 was delivered with ads in it way back in 2016, so I don't think there's any "test trains can't have ads" rule.

I was always of the mind that the ad spaces on a brand new car type should be used to advertise the features of the new fleet the way other cities have...

7514927476_d2198467c9_b.jpg

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I don't see why they'd get rid of it unless for testing purposes, which I cannot confirm.

For some reason I've seen the ring both out on test R179s, but also in-service trains as well. They usually seem to go back on – maybe it goes off if the C/R changes the FIND mid-route?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some folks were unable to view the images the first time, since it was required to sign-in with a google account to view them, so here are the same images, but shared properly without the need for a google account. I apologize for the double posting, as it seems like there is a time limit for editing posts (Today I Learned lol)

YLTghTsRmO3-4zKIBP6_g9dXhAm2mp1BpkFhogHO

qKghv1KE8bg89kiw_YcvQCm6V1IowcjksPVhAeuR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Are you saying that they reset the clock??

Yes I was told contact shoes fell off one of the cars in the Rockaways a few days ago, which is why they're resetting the 30 day revenue testing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Railfan 007 said:

Some folks were unable to view the images the first time, since it was required to sign-in with a google account to view them, so here are the same images, but shared properly without the need for a google account. I apologize for the double posting, as it seems like there is a time limit for editing posts (Today I Learned lol)

YLTghTsRmO3-4zKIBP6_g9dXhAm2mp1BpkFhogHO

qKghv1KE8bg89kiw_YcvQCm6V1IowcjksPVhAeuR

Can't you just use imgur, instead? :D

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

3222-3225 is the next R179 to be delivered.

3224 and 3225 are waiting to cross the GWB as of right now. 

We're almost done with four-car set deliveries. We just need 3070-3, 3226-9, 3230-3, 3234-7 (or four sets), before delivery of the five-cars can commence. 

What are the fleet numbers for this order? I heard extra cars are being included. What are the extra four and five car set numbers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.