R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

On 3/21/2019 at 12:19 PM, Enjineer said:

I posted a nice video of the 7 at sunset, and someone even joked when I mentioned appreciating the subway, saying "What would this sub do if it couldn't comment "tHaT pRoBaBlY sMeLlS lIkE pIsS" every day"

They say all that nonsense, and I’m saying imagine if there was no mass transit at all.

Anyways, 10 car R179 delivery dates? Is it too soon to know?

Edited by junjun441

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3230-33 are here (!!) as of Wed Mar 27 2019.  That should close out deliveries for March.

3010-19 reportedly have had issues addressed with the Automated Announcement System.  A Road Test is slated for this week, then (Maybe?) it goes back in service.

3218-21 have undisclosed (correctable) minor defects.  Testing with 3214-17 continues.

If things go well, 3222-29 should be wandering around on the system next week.

There is now only one more sequential 4-car delivery, presumably 3234-3237 by April 5, then (again presumably and finally) 3070-3073 by April 12 to complete that portion of the contract.

From there we will all hopefully learn more about the remaining 5-car sets for the (A).

57 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

3230-33 are here (!!) as of Wed Mar 27 2019.  That should close out deliveries for March.

3010-19 reportedly have had issues addressed with the Automated Announcement System.  A Road Test is slated for this week, then (Maybe?) it goes back in service.

3218-21 have undisclosed (correctable) minor defects.  Testing with 3214-17 continues.

If things go well, 3222-29 should be wandering around on the system next week.

There is now only one more sequential 4-car delivery, presumably 3234-3237 by April 5, then (again presumably and finally) 3070-3073 by April 12 to complete that portion of the contract.

From there we will all hopefully learn more about the remaining 5-car sets for the (A).

What was wrong with 3010-3019's AAS system?

1 hour ago, VIP said:

So is 3070-3073 going to East New York or 207th? I think they should go to East New York.

No idea.  Hopefully, we'll know in a month.

But,

If you recall the R-142 delivery process, numbers meant nothing against assignments at first. 

5 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

4 more cars inbound tonight. Currently at the GWB. I believe 3234-3237.

Well, they all can hang out at Pitkin Yard for now.  This once was the same way for "overflow" R-160 deliveries a decade ago.

Looks like all but those missing 4 will be on board in March. however.  Penalty compliance, perhaps?

Now we wait to see what shows up next.

@whz1995 The WillyB has been underutilized for years due to speed restrictions as we have mentioned, so seeing bikers win is little surprising at this point, and the side effect of years of operational inefficiency.

*Additionally, this discussion on the (M) train and WillyB should probably be moved to the random thoughts or proposals thread. This thread is for R179 developments when it gets back on topic. 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks
*Sorry if this may come across as backseat moderating...

8 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

@whz1995 The WillyB has been underutilized for years due to speed restrictions as we have mentioned, so seeing bikers win is little surprising at this point, and the side effect of years of operational inefficiency.

*Additionally, this discussion on the (M) train and WillyB should probably be moved to the random thoughts or proposals thread. This thread is for R179 developments when it gets back on topic. 

This is related to the r179's. ENY has enough r179's and r160's to allow an increase on the M.

The tricky part is how. Willy B has speed restrictions as a result of the deadly 1995 train crash and yes it can be fixed. However, safety is still #1 priority. Believe me the least thing anyone wants is another crash similar or worse than the 1995 crash, which btw is the last major subway crash in NYC and I clearly remember that terrible accident.

12 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

This entire time I thought it was the proposals thread :lol: