R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

Only missing 3070-3073, iinm. The rest of the 4-car units are on property. 5-car units to start arriving soon.

I wonder what’s up with 3070-3073. I think there must be a specific reason as to why that set is absent compared to the rest of the fleet. I guess we’ll find out in the future 

Other than that, it’s great to hear that more 5 car sets are on their way. 

12 hours ago, Jemorie said:

They've been back in service since Thursday.

Can confirm, definitely remember seeing that set at 14th St during the AM rush that day. I never bother looking/ jotting down car numbers in my head unless there's something interesting about that particular car/set but for some reason I decided to look at this one..

Edited by brakethrow

35 minutes ago, happy283 said:

can everyone stop with the useless garbage unrelated to the R179. This discussion is only about the R179.

Its not useless garbage, the past couple of O/T posts in this thread are very informative... with that being said, it is annoying that this thread keeps going off topic. 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Its not useless garbage, the past couple of O/T posts in this thread are very informative... with that being said, it is annoying that this thread keeps going off topic. 

While it may be informative to select users on here, it actually detracts from the topic proper, causing the domino effect. When I click on the "R179 Discussion Thread," I know most people would prefer to see content relating to the R179s, not the number of trains the Williamsburg Bridge can run per hour or the kinds of signals located just before entering Essex Street.

1 hour ago, happy283 said:

can everyone stop with the useless garbage unrelated to the R179. This discussion is only about the R179.

Calm down dudes!

The reason why "the Willy B capacity" has been brought up numerous times in this forum is because it plays a role on whether or not extra trains can be added on the overcrowded M.

And how is this related to the r179's???

Simple, there are more than enough 8 car r179's to allow an increase on the M.

3 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

While it may be informative to select users on here, it actually detracts from the topic proper, causing the domino effect. When I click on the "R179 Discussion Thread," I know most people would prefer to see content relating to the R179s, not the number of trains the Williamsburg Bridge can run per hour or the kinds of signals located just before entering Essex Street.

I agree that those are off topic and should be moved to the corresponding thread. But I disagree that those are useless garbage, those are a lot better than the spammed asking "where is the new 10-car set R179 now" comments for three or four pages. 

13 minutes ago, whz1995 said:

I agree that those are off topic and should be moved to the corresponding thread. But I disagree that those are useless garbage, those are a lot better than the spammed asking "where is the new 10-car set R179 now" comments for three or four pages. 

It's not useless garbage. Keep in mind that many "off topic" posts on this thread are strongly connected to the r179's, so it's not that "off topic".

15 minutes ago, happy283 said:

When will the delivery of the five car sets begin now that almost all the 4 car sets are delivered

Hopefully, this month. The second 10 car train and possibly the third 10 car train should be built already. I don't want to give any numbers, since it's unknown if the 10 car train deliveries will go in numerical order.

At this point, I doubt that the MTA will reach the 1 car per day goal with the r179's. It was supposed to start this month.

I have pruned this thread to split out the capacity discussion related to the Williamsburg Bridge into its own thread.

To address something, topic drift is okay, but if you notice the topic has shifted drastically from its original purpose, consider starting a new thread on your own volition. If you are hesitant in doing so for whatever reason, please bring the issue to the attention of the mod staff via PM. I'd like to say we're on the forums all the time watching every thread, but that simply isn't the case. All of us on the mod staff do however receive emails for PMs and reported content here and will thus take care of any necessary items if need be.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

I have pruned this thread to split out the capacity discussion related to the Williamsburg Bridge into its own thread.

To address something, topic drift is okay, but if you notice the topic has shifted drastically from its original purpose, consider starting a new thread on your own volition. If you are hesitant in doing so for whatever reason, please bring the issue to the attention of the mod staff via PM. I'd like to say we're on the forums all the time watching every thread, but that simply isn't the case. All of us on the mod staff do however receive emails for PMs and reported content here and will thus take care of any necessary items if need be.

Thank you for the clarification. To my understanding, this thread is about the r179's.

I think that any topic drift related to the r179's should be acceptable. The r179's play a huge role in addressing many issues that are affecting the B division. The "Willy B capacity" , "J extension to 4th Avenue" , "CTBC" are examples of recent topic drifts that are related to the r179's.

I do agree that if the topic drift is completely unrelated to the r179's, then it should go on a separate thread.

On 4/1/2019 at 6:41 PM, happy283 said:

I’m not sure what are you getting sand in your vag about or backseat moderating about. If you had enough time to actually read the dates of each post in this thread, you’ll see the Williamsburg bridge conversation died out last week Friday. Anyway, it’s my fault that conversation happen. So that’s why I stated I’ll save it for another time or so.

Take a seat, kid.

EDIT: I just now realized the convo likely had continued last night in this thread (hence your reaction) before Lance eventually stepped in and sorted it all out, but I wasn’t online nor was I viewing the forums from offline at the time. Either way, I apologize for bringing the covo up in the first place, as I didn’t think it would lead into a more complex and drifty discussion.

Edited by Jemorie

3 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Yes, I saw an R179 leaving for Brooklyn on the (C) yesterday while transferring from the (J) to the (2) at Fulton. My (J) was also an R179.

Wondering what they’re gonna do with with surplus on R46 and R32 on the (A)(C) lines 

Just now, R179 8258 said:

Wondering what they’re gonna do with with surplus on R46 and R32 on the (A)(C) lines 

R46s will probably start popping up more on the  C as the 10 car R179s come in, and R46s will likely replace most R32s on the A and C. It’ll eventually reach a point where they have R32s sitting in the yard and trying not to run them— to prepare for scrap.

Just now, Eagle Railfanning said:

R46s will probably start popping up more on the  C as the 10 car R179s come in, and R46s will likely replace most R32s on the A and C. It’ll eventually reach a point where they have R32s sitting in the yard and trying not to run them— to prepare for scrap.

Then what are they gonna do with all the R179s lol on the (C) can’t push everything on the (C) lol

Thought of a way to reorganize equipment when the R179 delivery is completed; please note this is merely hypothetical:

4 car R179s sent to (J) / (Z) ; Nassau lines become majority R179 with a few R160 sets. R42s retired outright.

4 car R160s sent to CI for (G) service.

R68 (G) sets sent to (A). R68s and R179s displace R46s to (C).

R32s on (C) retire; (C) now consists of R46s and 5-car R179s. (A) consists of R68s and R179s as well as a few R46s. R32s would be placed on off-peak routes (middays primarily) to minimize wear.

5 hours ago, Jemorie said:

I’m not sure what are you getting sand in your vag about or backseat moderating about. If you had enough time to actually read the dates of each post in this thread, you’ll see the Williamsburg bridge conversation died out last week Friday. Anyway, it’s my fault that conversation happen. So that’s why I stated I’ll save it for another time or so.

Take a seat, kid.

EDIT: I just now realized the convo likely had continued last night in this thread (hence your reaction) before Lance eventually stepped in and sorted it all out, but I wasn’t online nor was I viewing the forums from offline at the time. Either way, I apologize for bringing the covo up in the first place, as I didn’t think it would lead into a more complex and drifty discussion.

It's not your fault. You didn't go off topic. What you said about the M train is true. ENY has enough r179's and r160's to allow an increase on the M and the reason why many of us were mentioning "Willy B" a lot is because it has a speed limit that may affect the number of r160's and r179's running on the JMZ.

What I don't understand is why some people get annoyed by something that is connected to the r179's. This thread is about the r179's.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983