R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

39 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Thought of a way to reorganize equipment when the R179 delivery is completed; please note this is merely hypothetical:

4 car R179s sent to (J) / (Z) ; Nassau lines become majority R179 with a few R160 sets. R42s retired outright.

4 car R160s sent to CI for (G) service.

R68 (G) sets sent to (A). R68s and R179s displace R46s to (C).

R32s on (C) retire; (C) now consists of R46s and 5-car R179s. (A) consists of R68s and R179s as well as a few R46s. R32s would be placed on off-peak routes (middays primarily) to minimize wear.

The G won't get any NTT's until the r211's, and a the 4 car r160 is shorter than the 4 car r68.

The situation on the A and C is becoming tricky due to the C having 8 car r179's, which is an indication that the plans for full length C trains may be delayed until the r211's.

Based on what is happening, this may be the scenario once all r179's are in service until the r211's.

A: 10 car r179's, r46's, possibly r32's

8 car r179's, possibly r46's or possibly 8 car r32's

G: r68's, possibly r46's from the A for additional service

J/Z: r160's, r179's

At this point the C has a bigger chance of keeping the r32's than the A since the C will have about 11 8 car r179's. Therefore, the C will only need about 7 trains to complete the fleet. If those 7 trains are r46's, then the C would only be about 39% full length. However, if those 7 trains are r32's, then the C will most likely stay as 8 car trains.

Also, the G won't become full length, but it is possible that the 10 car r179's may displace some r46's for additional service to the G. In other words, the G might just get extra trains instead of full length trains. 

However, once the r211's come, the C and G will become full length.

As for the r42's and some r32's, they won't be scrapped this year or next year, but they won't be in passenger service, perhaps be used as an emergency fleet, or as garbage trains. Keep in mind that many B division garbage trains are still using redbirds in combination with retired B division cars.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Thought of a way to reorganize equipment when the R179 delivery is completed; please note this is merely hypothetical:

4 car R179s sent to (J) / (Z) ; Nassau lines become majority R179 with a few R160 sets. R42s retired outright.

R32s on (C) retire; (C) now consists of R46s and 5-car R179s. (A) consists of R68s and R179s as well as a few R46s. R32s would be placed on off-peak routes (middays primarily) to minimize wear.

Why not 5-car 160’s ?

1 hour ago, Maxwell179 said:

Why not 5-car 160’s ?

If the G becomes full length, it's going to be with 8 car r179's or 8 car trains r160's due to the surplus of 8 car trains. ENY has too many trains already. The C and G trains are the only trains outside ENY to accommodate 8 car trains, but since the MTA confirmed that the plans for making the G full length have been (temporarily) halted, then there is no other choice than to have the remaining 8 car r179's on the C until the r211's.

As for the 10 car r160's popping on the A and C. It's not going to happen this year or next year. But, it can't be completely ruled out a few years from now, as a result of 8th Avenue CTBC, which will be completed at the same time as QBL CTBC. 8th Avenue CTBC will accommodate r160's, r179's and r211's.

44 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

If the G becomes full length, it's going to be with 8 car r179's or 8 car trains r160's due to the surplus of 8 car trains. ENY has too many trains already. The C and G trains are the only trains outside ENY to accommodate 8 car trains, but since the MTA confirmed that the plans for making the G full length have been (temporarily) halted, then there is no other choice than to have the remaining 8 car r179's on the C until the r211's.

As for the 10 car r160's popping on the A and C. It's not going to happen this year or next year. But, it can't be completely ruled out a few years from now, as a result of 8th Avenue CTBC, which will be completed at the same time as QBL CTBC. 8th Avenue CTBC will accommodate r160's, r179's and r211's.

I won’t feel surprise if they decide to take all the r179 away from ENY since JZ won’t get cbtc in the next ten years according their plan. And if that happened, we gotta see r32 r42 r143 and r160 running on JZ again.

55 minutes ago, whz1995 said:

I won’t feel surprise if they decide to take all the r179 away from ENY since JZ won’t get cbtc in the next ten years according their plan. And if that happened, we gotta see r32 r42 r143 and r160 running on JZ again.

Nah, ENY will keep their NTT's. It's the NW that are at risk of losing their NTT'S due to CTBC. Both lines might most likely get the r68's. The Q might keep some of not all the r160's, since the R is a strong candidate for the r211's, and QBL CTBC will accommodate r211's.

The A most likely keep all 10 car r179's plus the r211's, while the C will become full length either with the r211's or the 10 car r160's displaced from the NW. The C will lose the 8 car r179's once the r211's are in service. The G will then become full length either with the r179's displaced from the C or the 8 car r160's from ENY (making the JZ 100% r179's).

In summary, we should expect some major fleet changes in almost every B division line with the exception of the E, L, M and Franklin Avenue S once all r211's are in service and 8th Avenue and QBL becomes CTBC. 

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

No , I know that but I’m saying in the proposal @R68OnBroadway made , why not 5 cars instead of 4

Alot of you guys aren't paying attention

Congestion pricing just passed

Meaning the (C) will be going to be 10 cars. There's no way in hell the (C) is staying 8 cars.  They want congestion pricing to go in effect in 2021, the first 10-20 R211's would still be in testing phase. So all the R32's will stay put until the 1st 211 officially passes it's 30 day test.

With more people being pushed to take the subway, they have no choice but to make the (C) full length as well as the (G).

Imo they need to just order more B cars and insert them Into the existing 11 sets of R179's that are on the (C). 

But the R32/42's aren't going nowhere until 2021-2023

So, there's no news yet on the long-awaited arrival of 3070-73 AFAIK.  Maybe the 5-packs will be here first.  Maybe no one knows:unsure:

The R-179 burn-in train for first week of April will be 3222-29.

3010-19 has officially graduated from New Car Acceptance, warranties aside.  It only took 2½ years...

14 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

So, there's no news yet on the long-awaited arrival of 3070-73 AFAIK.  Maybe the 5-packs will be here first.  Maybe no one knows:unsure:

The R-179 burn-in train for first week of April will be 3222-29.

3010-19 has officially graduated from New Car Acceptance, warranties aside.  It only took 2½ years...

It seems it just got delivered, according to what I’m hearing. @m2fwannabe

20 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

@subwaycommuter1983

On 4/2/2019 at 6:25 PM, Jemorie said:

I’m not sure what are you getting sand in your vag about or backseat moderating about. If you had enough time to actually read the dates of each post in this thread, you’ll see the Williamsburg bridge conversation died out last week Friday. Anyway, it’s my fault that conversation happen. So that’s why I stated I’ll save it for another time or so.

Take a seat, kid.

EDIT: I just now realized the convo likely had continued last night in this thread (hence your reaction) before Lance eventually stepped in and sorted it all out, but I wasn’t online nor was I viewing the forums from offline at the time. Either way, I apologize for bringing the covo up in the first place, as I didn’t think it would lead into a more complex and drifty discussion.

Maybe calling it useless garbage was a bit extreme but the constant topic shifts get a bit frustrating for those who use this forum for R179 related info.

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

It's confirmed. 

3070-3073 is finally being delivered to NYC. 

We can all finally breathe a sigh of relief as the four-car deliveries are FINALLY done... :D

what took 3070-3073 so long to deliver consider all the 3000s were delivered first

2 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

It's confirmed. 

We can all finally breathe a sigh of relief as the four-car deliveries are FINALLY done... :D

I saw on facebook and said finally that set is here

3 minutes ago, VIP said:

Now will that set go to East New York or 207th?? Hmmm...

I believe it's part of another 4-car set at ENY that was awaiting its arrival. I think for some reason 3070-73 was delayed and held back instead of coming in a while ago when the rest of the 30XX cars arrived

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Alot of you guys aren't paying attention

Congestion pricing just passed

Meaning the (C) will be going to be 10 cars. There's no way in hell the (C) is staying 8 cars.  They want congestion pricing to go in effect in 2021, the first 10-20 R211's would still be in testing phase. So all the R32's will stay put until the 1st 211 officially passes it's 30 day test.

With more people being pushed to take the subway, they have no choice but to make the (C) full length as well as the (G).

Imo they need to just order more B cars and insert them Into the existing 11 sets of R179's that are on the (C). 

But the R32/42's aren't going nowhere until 2021-2023

You pretty much paraphrased what I said in previous posts. The C and G trains will become 100% full length when the r211's come. The first test train will be delivered just as Canarsie construction is complete and the r211's will be 10 car trains. Therefore, the MTA doesn't have any other choice than to send the extra 8 car trains to the G. 

Note: The G can accommodate 10 car trains, but due to the surplus of 8 car trains, the G will have to keep the 8 car trains.

2 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

It's confirmed. 

Why everyone was worried about this set? It was going to be delivered. It was just left for last.

The question now is, will the deliveries of the production 10 car r179's begin next week??

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

You pretty much paraphrased what I said in previous posts. The C and G trains will become 100% full length when the r211's come. The first test train will be delivered just as Canarsie construction is complete and the r211's will be 10 car trains. Therefore, the MTA doesn't have any other choice than to send the extra 8 car trains to the G. 

Note: The G can accommodate 10 car trains, but due to the surplus of 8 car trains, the G will have to keep the 8 car trains.

Why everyone was worried about this set? It was going to be delivered. It was just left for last.

The question now is, will the deliveries of the production 10 car r179's begin next week??

You're not getting the point, by the time that's done. The R211's won't be in passenger service yet. MTA would prep up service probably in mid 2020 or earlier. The (C) is likely to go full length sooner while the (G) would go full length or 8 cars by 2020.

It's gonna take a year and a half to two years to test the R211's before the 30 day test. This train gonna be an advanced technology train with new features and etc. So it's gonna take awhile.

10 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It's confirmed. 

Well, it IS almost three years behind the original schedule!

One person's opinion:  In hindsight the long delay actually served MTA well.  It gave time and ability to adjust the order configuration to best meet its operational needs in current (2017) time, not as of 2010.  Funny how that's what finally happened with the R-160's at the tail end of that order, too (i.e. Option II).  Let's see how the Transit world looks by the time an R-211 is rolled in.

So what it means is 3234-37 and 3070-73 will eventually become one 8-car Test Train.  The very last one.  Exact timing of these events is always in question.

Now we wait to see what shows up next and when.  Logically it would be "5-pack" 3020-24.

1 hour ago, m2fwannabe said:

Well, it IS almost three years behind the original schedule!

One person's opinion:  In hindsight the long delay actually served MTA well.  It gave time and ability to adjust the order configuration to best meet its operational needs in current (2017) time, not as of 2010.  Funny how that's what finally happened with the R-160's at the tail end of that order, too (i.e. Option II).  Let's see how the Transit world looks by the time an R-211 is rolled in.

So what it means is 3234-37 and 3070-73 will eventually become one 8-car Test Train.  The very last one.  Exact timing of these events is always in question.

Now we wait to see what shows up next and when.  Logically it would be "5-pack" 3020-24.

I thought 3230-3237 will be an 8 car test train since 3230-3233 arrived first