R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

Why in the world would Jamaica be losing the cars that would be needed for Queens Blvd CBTC... :lol:

As mentioned, he is right on that one. It was the remaining 9100s and up to 9222 that was sent to C.I for the 2nd Av (Q) train. Currently, it's musical chairs with the fleet with the Cuomo design attached. 

10 hours ago, VIP said:

Hey, I’d like to know who or where you’re getting this misinformation.... 

If CI gets the R46's from Jamaica, they'll also send some from pitkin as well.

CI is only getting set for set during this swap. Plus they'll need extra cars as the R160's require less spares than the R46's plus CI needing extra cars due to service enhancements.

Remember the (Q) still need extra cars, hence why they use an R46 from the (R). When 2nd ave opened, we barely had enough cars, so every B division yard was effected. Now that the R179's are here and the decision has been made with no (L) shutdown we will see changes once the the 5 car sets start coming in and at the end of the month.

In overall Coney island needs extra cars, it's ether going to be some R32's & All the R42's or R46's. Time will tell, we will have to wait and see.

5 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

That part actually is correct. They did that two years ago when SAS opened.

But wouldn't they still have to bring them back sooner or later? I thought the plan was for Broadway to lose some R160s, and replace them with Jamaica's R46s. 

Edit: thought that it was referring to future yard assignments, not past. So if I am understanding correctly, Jamaica lost R160s, but will be getting them back soon? 

Edited by Enjineer

56 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

But wouldn't they still have to bring them back sooner or later? I thought the plan was for Broadway to lose some R160s, and replace them with Jamaica's R46s. 

Edit: thought that it was referring to future yard assignments, not past. So if I am understanding correctly, Jamaica lost R160s, but will be getting them back soon? 

Let's see what happens.  A lot of the major fleet changes beyond A/C trains are not going to happen until the r211's enter service. The N/W will most likely lose the r160's at some point. The Q might still keep the r160's. I doubt it will happen this year or next year. Some of those r160's displaced from the N/W may most likely go to the F, but the R is slated to get the r211's. Remember that QBL CTBC will accommodate r211's and r160's, while 8th Avenue CTBC will accommodate r160's, r179's (10 car trains) and r211's. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the 10 car r160's displaced from the N/W wind up in 207, or even Concourse. The B and D will most likely lose the r68's due to 8th Avenue CTBC, which may include CPW, although I don't think the B will get r160's.

I just hope the MTA decides to have weekend service on the B and W trains and extend the G to Forest Hills during the weekends once the r211's are in service and CTBC is complete.

But right now, we need to pay close attention to the A /C trains, which are the lines that are currently undergoing major fleet changes due to the r179's. 👏👏👍👍

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

5 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Let's see what happens.  A lot of the major fleet changes beyond A/C trains are not going to happen until the r211's enter service. The N/W will most likely lose the r160's at some point. The Q might still keep the r160's. I doubt it will happen this year or next year. Some of those r160's displaced from the N/W may most likely go to the F, but the R is slated to get the r211's. Remember that QBL CTBC will accommodate r211's and r160's, while 8th Avenue CTBC will accommodate r160's, r179's (10 car trains) and r211's. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the 10 car r160's displaced from the N/W wind up in 207, or even Concourse. The B and D will most likely lose the r68's due to 8th Avenue CTBC, which may include CPW, although I don't think the B will get r160's.

Right now, we need to pay close attention to the A /C, which are the lines that are currently undergoing major fleet changes due to the r179's. 👏👏👍👍

According to the Fast Forward Plan, there is NO CTBC plan for CPW within 10 years. So I dont think BD will get any R160 in these five years.  Lets just wait and see what will happen in this fall when all the R179 are delivered. 

1 hour ago, whz1995 said:

According to the Fast Forward Plan, there is NO CTBC plan for CPW within 10 years. So I dont think BD will get any R160 in these five years.  Lets just wait and see what will happen in this fall when all the R179 are delivered. 

All the Manhattan trunks are slated to get CBTC under FF. In fact, the only services that'll be able to get by without CBTC-capable equipment in 10 years will be the (J) and the Franklin and 42nd St shuttles. All of this assumes, of course, that FF remains intact and that the identified priority corridors remain the as they are in the original plan, two things that are very much to be seen. 

4 hours ago, whz1995 said:

6th is getting CBTC so the (B)(D) would need NTTs at some point

2 hours ago, RR503 said:

All the Manhattan trunks are slated to get CBTC under FF. In fact, the only services that'll be able to get by without CBTC-capable equipment in 10 years will be the (J) and the Franklin and 42nd St shuttles. All of this assumes, of course, that FF remains intact and that the identified priority corridors remain the as they are in the original plan, two things that are very much to be seen. 

Good to know, but even if CPW is not part of 8th Avenue CTBC, the B and D will still need NTT's, since they often get rerouted thorough 8th Avenue whenever there's track work or issues on 6th Avenue.

I have a feeling that the r68's will all wind up on the Broadway line once the r211's are in service and CTBC is complete.

3 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Good to know, but even if CPW is not part of 8th Avenue CTBC, the B and D will still need NTT's, since they often get rerouted thorough 8th Avenue whenever there's track work or issues on 6th Avenue.

I have a feeling that the r68's will all wind up on the Broadway line once the r211's are in service and CTBC is complete.

I understand everyone’s logic, it makes sense, but if you do not work in RTO you don’t want to get carried away with your proposals or predictions. Just be patient and work with what’s actually factually evident or presented to you or the public directly. Thanks yall. I appreciate all of you by the way! 

I think everyone forgot what was actually presented to the public.

transform_map.png?format=1500w

First 5 Years

4, 5, 6 – 149 St-Grand
Concourse to Nevins St

E, F, M, R – Jamaica 179
St and Jamaica Center
Parsons Archer to 50 St

F – Church Av to West 8
St NY Aquarium

A, C, E – Columbus Circle
to Jay St MetroTech

G – Court Sq to Hoyt
Schermerhorn

7 – Flushing Main St to
34 St-Hudson Yards COMPLETE

Next 5 Years 

1, 2, 3 – Jackson Av to
Atlantic Av – Barclays Ctr

B, D, F, M – 59 St Columbus Circle and 21 St Queensbridge to Dekalb Av and Jay St MetroTech

A, C – Jay St MetroTech to Ozone Park Lefferts Blvd

A, S – Rockaway Blvd to Far Rockaway Mott Av and Rockaway Park Beach 116 St

N, Q, R, W – Queensboro Plaza to Dekalb Av

In none of this is CPW included, and CBTC on Broadway will be completed at around the same time as 6 Av CBTC. In fact, according to Cuomo, we might even use UWB, and like @VIP said we don't know if this plan will change or not.

8 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

First 5 Years

4, 5, 6 – 149 St-Grand
Concourse to Nevins St

E, F, M, R – Jamaica 179
St and Jamaica Center
Parsons Archer to 50 St

F – Church Av to West 8
St NY Aquarium

to Jay St MetroTech

G – Court Sq to Hoyt
Schermerhorn

7 – Flushing Main St to

Next 5 Years 

1, 2, 3 – Jackson Av to

B, D, F, M – 59 St Columbus Circle and 21 St Queensbridge to Dekalb Av and Jay St MetroTech

In none of this is CPW included, and CBTC on Broadway will be completed at around the same time as 6 Av CBTC. In fact, according to Cuomo, we might even use UWB, and like @VIP said we don't know if this plan will change or not.

I see a lot of interesting equipment moves in the future...

9 minutes ago, Eric B said:

How come Church ave.-Jay and Hoyt isn't even on the radar? I thought that was the next to be done after the (7), along with the QBL, and especially since the Culver Viaduct had been rebuilt and completely re-signaled.

They should definitely do it (and also do W8 to CI) to allow for the (F) and (E) to be 100% CBTC; it would do wonders for those lines...

52 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

First 5 Years

4, 5, 6 – 149 St-Grand
Concourse to Nevins St

E, F, M, R – Jamaica 179
St and Jamaica Center
Parsons Archer to 50 St

F – Church Av to West 8
St NY Aquarium

to Jay St MetroTech

G – Court Sq to Hoyt
Schermerhorn

7 – Flushing Main St to

Next 5 Years 

1, 2, 3 – Jackson Av to

Thank you so much for sharing this information. 

A lot of the r211's will be in service when CTBC is complete, so we should expect major fleet changes around 2021. This may include the A division, since the 2 and 6 trains will have to swap cars and the r262's won't be in service. This information also proves that the G will get NTT's, whether it's the r160's or r179's, but it will be 8 car trains.

Any fleet changes this year will be related to the r179's.

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

I really don’t think CBTC is essential for CPW service. service levels are fine without  CBTC service. Trains come every 5 or so minutes. CBTC ain’t cheap people!

At this juncture CBTC is becoming the standard rather than just a capacity boost. So its less about capacity and more about the signals have reached the end of their useful life.

2 hours ago, Eric B said:

How come Church ave.-Jay and Hoyt isn't even on the radar? I thought that was the next to be done after the (7), along with the QBL, and especially since the Culver Viaduct had been rebuilt and completely re-signaled.

The FF plan seems to have been developed by putting signal age and segment ridership in a blender and then viewing the results. Culver, which has high (but not *too* high) ridership and a brand-new signal system probably lost out to the likes of Crosstown and Fulton, which basically are still running with what was installed in the 30s.

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

At this juncture CBTC is becoming the standard rather than just a capacity boost. So its less about capacity and more about the signals have reached the end of their useful life.

Exactly. I think it's more that the fleet is rapidly approaching the point where a large portion of it will be compatible with CBTC, and also the fact that the (L) and (7) (the two most isolated lines) are now complete with CBTC, so the TA is moving on to the rest of the system. 

5 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

First 5 Years

4, 5, 6 – 149 St-Grand
Concourse to Nevins St

E, F, M, R – Jamaica 179
St and Jamaica Center
Parsons Archer to 50 St  IN PROGRESS

F – Church Av to West 8
St NY Aquarium

to Jay St MetroTech

G – Court Sq to Hoyt
Schermerhorn

7 – Flushing Main St to

Next 5 Years 

1, 2, 3 – Jackson Av to

Even if CPW is not getting CBTC, that doesn’t mean that plans won’t change. The (B) and (D) (like others said in this forum) would eventually need NTT’s. My personal belief is that if we can even maintain our current signal system properly, then what makes you think that we’ll be able to run CBTC at Full Potential? 

——————

Anyways, if I’m not mistaken, we have all 4 car sets on the Property and now await the delivery of the rest of the 5 car sets? 

12 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Even if CPW is not getting CBTC, that doesn’t mean that plans won’t change. The (B) and (D) (like others said in this forum) would eventually need NTT’s. My personal belief is that if we can even maintain our current signal system properly, then what makes you think that we’ll be able to run CBTC at Full Potential? 

——————

Anyways, if I’m not mistaken, we have all 4 car sets on the Property and now await the delivery of the rest of the 5 car sets? 

The current signal system has parts dating from the 1930s. At the very least CBTC, as a product not anywhere near its end of life, should perform better than something the MTA has to monkey wrench because no one makes the parts anymore.

23 hours ago, RR503 said:

The FF plan seems to have been developed by putting signal age and segment ridership in a blender and then viewing the results. Culver, which has high (but not *too* high) ridership and a brand-new signal system probably lost out to the likes of Crosstown and Fulton, which basically are still running with what was installed in the 30s.

What I'm thinking, is whether CBTC on the El would allow for any capacity increases at its southern end. If I remember correctly, the (F) tracks at CI are currently maxed out in terms of capacity, and that's with 20% of trains being turned at Kings Highway. If the issues are mostly at the terminal, then I doubt CBTC will help much. But I believe the slow curves at West 8th Street might also contribute to the low capacity.

Edit: I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was the R179 thread. This should probably move over to the Subway Capacity thread.

Edited by P3F

1 hour ago, P3F said:

What I'm thinking, is whether CBTC on the El would allow for any capacity increases at its southern end. If I remember correctly, the (F) tracks at CI are currently maxed out in terms of capacity, and that's with 20% of trains being turned at Kings Highway. If the issues are mostly at the terminal, then I doubt CBTC will help much. But I believe the slow curves at West 8th Street might also contribute to the low capacity.

Edit: I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was the R179 thread. This should probably move over to the Subway Capacity thread.

I think it has to do more with the placement of the switches between West 8 St and Coney Island.