R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

2 hours ago, j express said:

I think it has to do more with the placement of the switches between West 8 St and Coney Island. 

This is really starting to become an issue. @Lance attempted to trim these kinds of off-topic discussions from this thread as they hold little to no relation to the R179s whatsoever. It's actually irritating to come here looking to find relevant updates on the R179s only to find things like this.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

This is really starting to become an issue. @Lance attempted to trim these kinds of off-topic discussions from this thread as they hold little to no relation to the R179s whatsoever. It's actually irritating to come here looking to find relevant updates on the R179s only to find things like this.

I mean R179 assignments will always be connected to CBTC installs (especially since the board approved a contract to make them CBTC equipped) which are based on the Fast Forward plan so it isn't as off topic as you think...

5 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I mean R179 assignments will always be connected to CBTC installs (especially since the board approved a contract to make them CBTC equipped) which are based on the Fast Forward plan so it isn't as off topic as you think...

I agree with you 100%. This thread is about the r179's and any off topic posts that mention the r179's or are related to r179's should stay in this thread.

For example, many of us have posted comments about how the r211's and 8th Avenue CTBC will impact the r179's. That is not an off topic post and it should stay in this thread.

However, there are posts on this thread about installing CTBC in Coney Island. Now, that is completely off topic. It's not including the r179's whatsoever, so that post should go to a thread that specifically talks about CTBC in general.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Yes but the tangent should be short so we can back on topic. I am sure there is a cbtc thread where this can go into more depth.

4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I agree with you 100%. This thread is about the r179's and any off topic posts that mention the r179's or are related to r179's should stay in this thread.

For example, many of us have posted comments about how the r211's and 8th Avenue CTBC will impact the r179's. That is not an off topic post and it should stay in this thread.

However, there are posts on this thread about installing CTBC in Coney Island. Now, that is completely off topic. It's not including the r179's whatsoever, so that post should go to a thread that specifically talks about CTBC in general.

Yeah. Happen last time too with me lol. It's also actually a good thing that you and I finally agree on something, subwaycommuter1983.

MBTA and MTA are in talks to do a fleet swap between the Red Line and Crosstown as CRRC cars are delivered to Boston as a budget move for Fast Forward. R68s will goto Q and W, R46 reefed, and R179s to Franklin Shuttle and H train.

23 minutes ago, bulk88 said:

MBTA and MTA are in talks to do a fleet swap between the Red Line and Crosstown as CRRC cars are delivered to Boston as a budget move for Fast Forward. R68s will goto Q and W, R46 reefed, and R179s to Franklin Shuttle and H train.

You have quite the imagination lol. Reminds me of rumor that the R32s were going to Nigeria.. 

1 hour ago, bulk88 said:

Don't forget the Lo-Vs being sent to the Bowling Green shuttle and the R16s being sent to 76th Street.

4 hours ago, bulk88 said:

Can I have what your having? Asking for a friend.

I try not to be too anal about this, but I do ask that we all do try to keep the topic related to the subject at hand, which is the 179s' ongoing delivery and placement into service. CBTC installation may be tangentially related here due to the potential for car placement, we do have two dedicated threads for CBTC signaling, both of which are stickied to the main subway page. Please use them for discussions on the signal upgrades and leave this thread for its intended purpose.

On 4/9/2019 at 6:04 PM, bulk88 said:

MBTA and MTA are in talks to do a fleet swap between the Red Line and Crosstown as CRRC cars are delivered to Boston as a budget move for Fast Forward. "R68s will goto Q and W, R46 reefed, and R179s to Franklin Shuttle and H train."

"R68s will goto Q and W, R46 reefed, and R179s to Franklin Shuttle and H train."

L O L are you high? This is some next level foamer logic

Edited by DaPr03

While we patiently wait for the production 10 car trains to be delivered check out this video of how commuters are treating the 10 car r179 A train.

Obviously, this is something that goes way beyond the r179's and it's one of many reasons why New Yorkers have the reputation of being.....

IMO unless it’s a sighting or and order update post about R179s 

all the CBTC / FF chat should be moved 🤷🏾‍♂️... it messes up the chat already in progress by going off topic.. Granted it’s relevant to an extent but honestly people would probably care more about the 5 car order than the CBTC / FF chat I’m just saying 😎

1 hour ago, JFK Depot said:

IMO unless it’s a sighting or and order update post about R179s 

all the CBTC / FF chat should be moved 🤷🏾‍♂️... it messes up the chat already in progress by going off topic.. Granted it’s relevant to an extent but honestly people would probably care more about the 5 car order than the CBTC / FF chat I’m just saying 😎

This thread is about the r179's. Any issue that includes the r179's should stay in this thread. Keep in mind that the r179's play a huge role in regards to car assignments and in addressing many of the issues that are affecting the B division.

Speculations and theories about the r179's are normal and have been happening due to the ongoing delays with the deliveries. Everyone is eager to know what is going to happen once all r179's are in service.

I do agree that any comments that are 100% completely unrelated to the r179's should be moved to a different thread.

48 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

One improvement the 179s have over previous NTT car classes no one talks about is the HAVC is MUCH quieter, the HAVC on the older NTT car classes can be deafening.

The hvac sucks tho, there was alot of hot cars last summer on the (J). Hopefully they fixed that issue but they're quiet indeed

18 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

One improvement the 179s have over previous NTT car classes no one talks about is the HAVC is MUCH quieter, the HAVC on the older NTT car classes can be deafening.

True. R160 HVAC sounds like a diesel loco. MTA mustve put a spec on the loudness of them for R179. Heated seats and the softer suspension are the other improvements.  R179s are a ground up design by Bombardier. R160s are simply R143s with a FIND display, different shade of wallpaper inside, and diff end doors. All other engineering and parts and hardware is the same. The R179 is a virgin design.

8 hours ago, bulk88 said:

True. R160 HVAC sounds like a diesel loco. MTA mustve put a spec on the loudness of them for R179. Heated seats and the softer suspension are the other improvements.  R179s are a ground up design by Bombardier. R160s are simply R143s with a FIND display, different shade of wallpaper inside, and diff end doors. All other engineering and parts and hardware is the same. The R179 is a virgin design.

R179's are based on the R110B's, the key differences is the length, interior, front ,rear and mechanical. But body wise it's a R110B with a modified R160 face.