R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The R143's WILL NOT go to the (C), why in the hell would MTA spend Money on modifying those cars for the (L) line just to put em on the (C) those R143's are for the (L) for CBTC as well as about 50-64 R160's with the red dot thats on top of the number boards, the (MTA) made it clear that the R179's are going to the (C) (subject to change) the R143's were bulit for the (L), if that were to happen, the (MTA) would have to spend MORE money modifing the R160A-1's to run for ATO service, I don't believe that R143 going to the (C) bullshit, eventhough i would like to see R143's on the (C), I just don't see it happening, the R143's are all modifed to run in ATO as well as those R160A-1's that have the red dot on top of the number board, so it wouldn't make sense to send cars that are ALREADY modifed for ATO, they might send the R160A-1 cars to the (C) that would make more sense but the R143's aren't going anywhere

Edited by R32 3838

143's going to the (C) doesn't make any sense. The reason more 4 car sets are needed for ENY in the first place, is because the (L) was increased, thus needing more cars than the 143's that were originally just enough to fill it, and every time new cars came, it was increased more.

Exactly, Don't believe that bullshit, the R143's are staying on the (L), they spent all that money getting those cars to run by itself

The R143's WILL NOT go to the (C), why in the hell would MTA spend Money on modifying those cars for the (L) line just to put em on the (C) those R143's are for the (L) for CBTC as well as about 50-64 R160's with the red dot thats on top of the number boards, the (MTA) made it clear that the R179's are going to the (C) (subject to change) the R143's were bulit for the (L), if that were to happen, the (MTA) would have to spend MORE money modifing the R160A-1's to run for ATO service, I don't believe that R143 going to the (C) bullshit, eventhough i would like to see R143's on the (C), I just don't see it happening, the R143's are all modifed to run in ATO as well as those R160A-1's that have the red dot on top of the number board, so it wouldn't make sense to send cars that are ALREADY modifed for ATO, they might send the R160A-1 cars to the (C) that would make more sense but the R143's aren't going anywhere

Here's a good reason why it's a "possibility of 143s going to the C":

It may not be the whole fleet, it may be the whole fleet indeed. Yes, they spent money installing cbtc. Just like they are going to pay money to have them installed in more fleets like the 160A-1's. It's going to happen anyway. The idea of basically a fleet shift will allow the installation and testing/revenue service of more cars on an existing revenue cbtc line. And in the future they can always shift them back. It 1) won't be the end of the would and 2)easier and maybe even cheaper in the long run to shift them as such until the entire NTT fleet is cbtc ready when they start adding more lines to its cbtc list.

Here's a good reason why it's a "possibility of 143s going to the C":

It may not be the whole fleet, it may be the whole fleet indeed. Yes, they spent money installing cbtc. Just like they are going to pay money to have them installed in more fleets like the 160A-1's. It's going to happen anyway. The idea of basically a fleet shift will allow the installation and testing/revenue service of more cars on an existing revenue cbtc line. And in the future they can always shift them back. It 1) won't be the end of the would and 2)easier and maybe even cheaper in the long run to shift them as such until the entire NTT fleet is cbtc ready when they start adding more lines to its cbtc list.

I still doubt it, too many people are throwing more bones out there, the MTA made it clear that the r143's were staying on the (L), it would be a big waste of money doing that, they should just give the (C) new cars and get it over with, or send them the R160A-1's instead, but you never know what can happen

The (B) and (D) need some R179s, however, the (B) is priority

Last I heard that the (D) was going to get R46s. Probably just some loose rumor out there, because I don't think they are going to get even close to the West End, besides an (R) to 9 Av.

Exactly, Don't believe that bullshit, the R143's are staying on the (L), they spent all that money getting those cars to run by itself

How is it bullshit if everything pulls into place perfectly, with the exceptions of the strip map? They are already in 4-Car sets, which is the main priority here. I don't understand the shit some people say these days. IT IS A POSSIBILITY. God damn you people.

Edited by Brighton Express

Why the hell are we talking about R211s? Is that what it is actually called?

As for the (C) and R179s, I always thought that the (B)(C) would get them, the R32s would retire, and the (A) would get those R68s.

The (B) and (D) Is not planning on having R179s or R46s

Edited by Daniel The Cool

Not to disappoint Far Rock Depot, TheSubwayStation, and Brighton Express, but I agree 100% with R32 3838.

The R179s are to replace the remaining 222 R32s and 50 R42s still in service. If anything possible, they should just order more R179s, like say 500 cars. Make 380 cars in 5-car sets and 120 in 4-car sets. 207th Street Yard should become 100% R46s like Pitkin Avenue Yard after the R32/42 retirement, Jamaica Yard should be 100% NTTs, East New York will get the 120 4-car R179s (about only 64 of them for the (L) and the rest are spares, leading to the (J)(Z) becoming 100% R160s like the (M)). Make the (A)(C) 100% R46s like the RPS (S) so that way it becomes easier for 207th to retire the R46s at their yard. The (A)(C)(S) should be stuck with older trains due to the 207th being the home for the (C) as well as cars that are at the end of their careers. The R68/68As for those three lines will be up next once the R211s come soon. This is totally worth it and easy for 207th to scrap the R32/42, R46, R68/68A just like how they did when they sent R40 Slants & Modifieds (including R38s, NYCT R44s, and the huge batch of R32s and R42s that are now retired) to the (A) and (C) until they died at 207th. The (MTA) needs to think about this instead.

Anyways....just my opinion until news come up. For now, let's just pay attention to what East New York told us...

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Honest question. I would like to know your reasoning as to why the B would get priority?

It would be a faster trip (better express acceleration) and plus the (B) is part time

Edited by VWM

What do you guys think will become of the car assignments on the BMT Eastern Division when the 300 R179s arrive? Also, what do think 207th Street Yard will get when the remaining 222 R32s and 50 R42s retire? Just asking based on ENY's post..

Edited by RollOverMyHead

What do you guys think will become of the car assignments on the BMT Eastern Division when the 300 R179s arrive? Also, what do think 207th Street Yard will get when the remaining 222 R32s and 50 R42s retire? Just asking based on ENY's post..

207th yard may just become the home base for the (1) line,while the (A) and (C) lines would be based out of Pitkin Yard.don't know when it's gonna happen though.

207th yard may just become the home base for the (1) line,while the (A) and (C) lines would be based out of Pitkin Yard.don't know when it's gonna happen though.

i heard 2014 but it can be earlier and I don't think pitkin wants the R32's btw for anyone who doesn't know the R32's are ONLY mantained at 207th st Shops

The probability of R143s ending up on the C is almost less than zero.

Also, the R68s will not leave the D anytime soon. There is absolutely no reason for them to do so. Concourse will be fine with the R68 fleet until the time comes that a portion of the D is converted to CBTC.

Remember, subway cars that ends go to die at 207th yard. After those remaining 222 R32s and 50 R42s are gone, the R46s will be up next. Then the R68/68As. So yes, it's possible that the (A)(C) will be 100% R46s like the RPS (S) until when the R211s come in to replace those cars then the (A)(S) will be R68s (304 for the (A) and 8 for the Rockaway Park Shuttle) and (C) being all R68A (160 out of 200 cars). Just predicting as usual but sorry.

Only reason why I'm saying this is because 207th needs to focus on retire subway cars at the end of their careers. They might as well make most of the R179 five-car sets...

There's only one trackway that leads to 207th yard from the IRT B'way/7 Av Line, so no. The 207th yard is the (C)'s home while Pitkin's home are the (A) & RPS (S)...

R68s have about another 20 years ahead of them so who knows where they'll wind up.

There has been word about 207 becoming the yard for the 1. Just because it only had one lead track to it doesn't nullify it as a candidate. A second track can aways be built if needed.

And for the record, out of the last 3 b-division fleets to be retired 38s, 40/40M's and 44s, only the slant 40s were shifted to 207 to die. Where were the modified 40s? And he other 2 were already at 207.

R68s have about another 20 years ahead of them so who knows where they'll wind up.

There has been word about 207 becoming the yard for the 1. Just because it only had one lead track to it doesn't nullify it as a candidate. A second track can aways be built if needed.

HOW would they built a second track?........

It is very easy for the IND Eighth Avenue Line at Dyckman Street.

You can't just say a second track can always be built if needed.....How?..............

Don't even expect NTTs on the (A) or (C) anytime soon.....Even if the R68 and R62 are slated for retirement in the mid-late 2020s, they MIGHT go and last on the (A)(C)(S) after the R46s......The (1) already has a home yard, 240th, and can store trains if need on the 137th lay up yard on the B'way 7 Av Line IRT. Plain fact is R143s were equipped for CBTC and run on the (L) with additional 64 car type similar to them AND remaining R32s on the (C), remaining R42s on the (J)(Z), and remaining R44s on the Staten Island Railway......Plain fact is R179s are to replace all remaining 222 R32s and 50 R42s and that the mentioned R211s will replace the R46s.

I find it cheesy and highly unlikely for the 207th to be the home for the (1), unless it shares with the (C). Chances are for the (A)(C) fleet to still use older trains so they can retire the day they die at 207th. They might as well even extend the order of the R179 fleet so Jamaica Yard gives 207th the R46s in exchange. Half of the order can be 4-car sets and the rest 5-car sets.

How are they going to built a second track? look at the google map. How would sending the (1) to 207th solve anything? Aren't 207th suppose to focus on maintaining and then retire the old subway cars first? How would adding nearly all 4-car R179s solve anything at all?

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Remember, subway cars that ends go to die at 207th yard. After those remaining 222 R32s and 50 R42s are gone, the R46s will be up next. Then the R68/68As. So yes, it's possible that the (A)(C) will be 100% R46s like the RPS (S) until when the R211s come in to replace those cars then the (A)(S) will be R68s (304 for the (A) and 8 for the Rockaway Park Shuttle) and (C) being all R68A (160 out of 200 cars). Just predicting as usual but sorry.

Only reason why I'm saying this is because 207th needs to focus on retire subway cars at the end of their careers. They might as well make most of the R179 five-car sets...

PLEASE stop it with this R211 you guys are killing me.

HOW would they built a second track?........

It is very easy for the IND Eighth Avenue Line at Dyckman Street.

You can't just say a second track can always be built if needed.....How?..............

Don't even expect NTTs on the (A) or (C) anytime soon.....Even if the R68 and R62 are slated for retirement in the mid-late 2020s, they MIGHT go and last on the (A)(C)(S) after the R46s......

200 St, personal preference.

If the R179s are intended for the (C), don't you think they would put one on the (A)?

NYCT have people called engineers who, if needed, can figure out how, design, and built a second track, with proper money allocated.

And as far as NTTs on Fulton, according to East New York's post, who is very credible in my book, stated the preliminary plan is to have 179s on the A and C. Until it's proven otherwise, everyone else's assumption is mute unless your higer up or have an even more credible source. Just because one fleet got moved to 207 four years ago to die doesn't mean that it's where all cars go nor does it nullify that line to get NTTs. Where were the R40M's when they were retired? The32s, 38s and 44s were already assigned to 207 when theybwent bye bye. That was coincidence.

And IRT fleets have nothing to do with the scheduling of retiring B-division cars.

PLEASE stop it with this R211 you guys are killing me.

R211s are to replace the R46s right?......Pay attention to what others are saying and face facts. Even with the thread has nothing to do with it, we are just mentioning the R211 and R46. After all, subway cars can't last forever right?

If the R179s are intended for the (C), don't you think they would put one on the (A)?

Did the (MTA) confirmed that these cars will go on the (C)?.....

Edited by RollOverMyHead