Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
East New York

R179 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

On 4/25/2019 at 3:47 PM, subwayfan1998 said:

I've heard many said that If CBTC is fully completed in the QBL, G would recieve NTTs.

The G will receive NTT's, not necessarily because of CBTC, but due to the surplus of 8 car trains. Once the C becomes full length, the G will be the only line outside ENY that can accommodate 8 car trains. CTBC will just determine whether the G gets the r160's or r179's. If the MTA decides to extend the G during the weekends to Forest Hills, then the G will most likely get the r160's (r179's are not compatible with QBL CTBC) . If the weekend G extension doesn't happen, then the G will most likely get the r179's.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 12:05 AM, subwayfan1998 said:

N/W will have CBTC in next 10 years, yes you're right it is just speculation. But I Doubt N/W will get R68s, R68s will mostly be on Concourse Yard. What about the Q Line, if G Train get NTTs.

I think they will once the r211's are in service and 8th Avenue becomes CTBC.

We should expect major fleet changes in the B division around 2021-2022. 

Any fleet changes this year are related to the r179's.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I think they will once the r211's are in service and 8th Avenue becomes CTBC.

We should expect major fleet changes in the B division around 2021-2022. 

Any fleet changes this year are related to the r179's.

When will the CBTC on 8th Avenue be completed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 5:49 PM, subwayfan1998 said:

When will the CBTC on 8th Avenue be completed?

It's supposed to be within 5 years if Byford gets his way, but that doesn't seem likely.

Has the supplier for the R179 CBTC carbon equipment been picked yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bosco said:

It's supposed to be within 5 years if Byford gets his way, but that doesn't seem likely.

Has the supplier for the R179 CBTC carbon equipment been picked yet?

Yes its going to Siemens

Quote

After consideration of the technical and price proposals for the base contract and all options, the SC unanimously determined that the award strategy affording best value to NYC Transit was to split the award, recommending Siemens for the R179 requirements and Thales for the R211 requirements. This approach mitigates the risk of potential delays in the completion of the overall work for the Eighth Avenue line and provides a higher degree of delivery certainty for the critical R211 subway car contract. Accordingly, Thales will focus solely on supporting Kawasaki in meeting its aggressive delivery schedule for the R211 subway cars, the first fleet to be provided to NYC Transit with CBTC equipment installed by the car builder. Siemens will focus solely on the R179 subway car requirements.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll make sense for the (J) (Z) trains to have all the R179s and the surplus 8 car R160's go make the (G) 100% NTT and additional trains on the (L) 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I heard that 10-car train we all know of 3010-9 went back to testing with no passengers and NOT IN SERVICE: TESTING notices, could've sworn it passed the monthly trial

Edited by Calvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I heard that 10-car train we all know of 3010-9 went back to testing with no passengers and NOT IN SERVICE: TESTING notices, could've sworn it passed the monthly trial

I believe it did, thats how more 5 car sets are being delivered. Could be a software fixes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, happy283 said:

I believe it did, thats how more 5 car sets are being delivered. Could be a software fixes.

From what I understand,  they rearrainged that consist so now they are making sure it functions properly in that arraingment I'm going to assume. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, happy283 said:

and that concludes the delivery of the 4 car sets!

👏👏👏

Hopefully, 6 months from now, all r179's are in service. Fingers crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, happy283 said:

and that concludes the delivery of the 4 car sets!

spoke a little too soon lol. 3070-3073 is still testing afaik with 3146-3149 from ENY. After that passes, then it will be finished.

2 hours ago, AJ of JGD said:

Word on the street is....

 

3238-3242 has set foot on MTA Property?

3238-3242 and 3243-3247 (both 5-car production sets) are both on MTA property, specifically Pitkin Yards. They should be hitting the test track sometime soon, that's if they haven't already.

Edited by Railfan 007
forgot a word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Railfan 007 said:

spoke a little too soon lol. 3070-3073 is still testing afaik with 3146-3149 from ENY. After that passes, then it will be finished.

3238-3242 and 3243-3247 (both 5-car production sets) are both on MTA property, specifically Pitkin Yards. They should be hitting the test track sometime soon, that's if they haven't already.

3070-73 is still on property, it still counts as compilation of delivery. Dude wasn't referring to testing really.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

3070-73 is still on property, it still counts as compilation of delivery. Dude wasn't referring to testing really.....

He quoted a post about in service sets. I doubt he meant "delivered" as in all on property (as that's what it actually means lol), he probably meant "delivered" as in running in service and completed testing. I could wrong though, so happy283 would need to explain 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Railfan 007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Railfan 007 said:

He quoted a post about in service sets. I doubt he meant "delivered" as in all on property (as that's what it actually means lol), he probably meant "delivered" as in running in service and completed testing. I could wrong though, so happy283 would need to explain 🤷‍♂️

Explain?? happy283 posted that all 4 car r179's are delivered and yes they are delivered and hopefully by Memorial day all 4 car r179's are in service as well as both 10 car r179's.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, 2Line1291 said:

It'll make sense for the (J) (Z) trains to have all the R179s and the surplus 8 car R160's go make the (G) 100% NTT and additional trains on the (L) 

That is a Very Good Point, Same thing man.

(F) should be all R211s, if R160's go to the (G)

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Explain?? happy283 posted that all 4 car r179's are delivered and yes they are delivered and hopefully by Memorial day all 4 car r179's are in service as well as both 10 car r179's.

i meant on property

3070-3073 still testing

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 12:58 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The G will receive NTT's, not necessarily because of CBTC, but due to the surplus of 8 car trains. Once the C becomes full length, the G will be the only line outside ENY that can accommodate 8 car trains. CTBC will just determine whether the G gets the r160's or r179's. If the MTA decides to extend the G during the weekends to Forest Hills, then the G will most likely get the r160's (r179's are not compatible with QBL CTBC) . If the weekend G extension doesn't happen, then the G will most likely get the r179's.

Hey bro, I Have a Good Idea.

(F) should get all the R211s and displace all the R160s to the (G), if (G) extended back to Forest Hill. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, subwayfan1998 said:

Hey bro, I Have a Good Idea.

(F) should get all the R211s and displace all the R160s to the (G), if (G) extended back to Forest Hill. :)

If the G gets the 10 car r160's from the F, where would the extra 8 car trains (r160's, r179's) go? ENY has too many trains and the C is getting 10 car trains.

The F and R will most likely get the r211's, since QBL CTBC is compatible with the r160's and r211's, but if any r160's do get displaced from the F, it should probably go to the C.

Also, keep in mind that once the G becomes full length either with the 8 car r179's or 8 car r160's, the G will have the same length as the M.

Are there any plans to make QBL CTBC compatible with the r179's?? Otherwise, the 8 car r160's might be a better fit for the G.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

If the G gets the 10 car r160's from the F, where would the extra 8 car trains (r160's, r179's) go? ENY has too many trains and the C is getting 10 car trains.

The F and R will most likely get the r211's, since QBL CTBC is compatible with the r160's and r211's, but if any r160's do get displaced from the F, it should probably go to the C.

Also, keep in mind that once the G becomes full length either with the 8 car r179's or 8 car r160's, the G will have the same length as the M.

Are there any plans to make QBL CTBC compatible with the r179's?? Otherwise, the 8 car r160's might be a better fit for the G.

I've heard that R179s is incompatible with the QBL CBTC? I Hope there should be a plan to make it compatible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

If the G gets the 10 car r160's from the F, where would the extra 8 car trains (r160's, r179's) go? ENY has too many trains and the C is getting 10 car trains.

The F and R will most likely get the r211's, since QBL CTBC is compatible with the r160's and r211's, but if any r160's do get displaced from the F, it should probably go to the C.

Also, keep in mind that once the G becomes full length either with the 8 car r179's or 8 car r160's, the G will have the same length as the M.

Are there any plans to make QBL CTBC compatible with the r179's?? Otherwise, the 8 car r160's might be a better fit for the G.

Also There are no Plans for the (G) to have R179s but more likely (G) will be getting R160s from the (F) when (F) is fully R211s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The one good thing about this R179 order is there's now a surplus of 8 car B division cars. Too bad they couldn't be a large amount of 10-car R179 sets like the 8-car version. As I mentioned in the R211 thread I can see the (A)(F)(R) and Rockaway Shuttle becoming 100% R211. In relation to the R179 though i can see

-  (C) having a mixed fleet of all the 10-car R179s and the R160Bs from the (F) 

-  (J)(Z) has all the 8-car R179s.

-  (G)  having all the R160s from the (J)(Z) 

Edited by 2Line1291
remphasizing the G train
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

One wrinkle though...

They're not going to install CBTC on the 8 car R179s just to put them on a non CBTC line (and one that's even not planned to get it during Fast Forward), so it's more likely that the 8 car R179s go to the (G) for Crosstown CBTC than stay on the (J)(Z) 

Edited by Around the Horn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.