R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

10 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Also my apologies I could have sworn this was the CBTC thread...

But its not..... this is... 

9 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

We have been mentioning CBTC in relation to car assignments and possible fleet swap, which directly involves the r179's, since 8th Avenue CBTC will be compatible with the r179's plus other NTT's, and I think the MTA should consider making the r179's compatible with other CBTC's along the B division to allow flexibility.

Honestly that may be true... however, most of the recent replies to this thread is more about CBTC than R179 car related information so much so anyone reviewing the thread can easily think they were in the CBTC thread which funny enough.. don't get as much replies as this thread... Maybe someone needs to make a new Thread MTA Subway Operations: Fleet & Depots to discuss current and possible car assignments and fleet swaps... Although that might not be a solution given certain members just post replies anywhere...  

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, B22viaAtlanticAv said:

But its not..... this is... 

Honestly that may be true... however, most of the recent replies to this thread is more about CBTC than R179 car related information so much so anyone reviewing the thread can easily think they were in the CBTC thread which funny enough.. don't get as much replies as this thread... Maybe someone needs to make a new Thread MTA Subway Operations: Fleet & Depots to discuss current and possible car assignments and fleet swaps... Although that might not be a solution given certain members just post replies anywhere...  

I like the idea.

All this going "on and off topic" shows that the r179's play a huge role in addressing many issues that are affecting the B division in a direct and indirect way, such as CBTC, reducing overcrowding on certain lines, increasing service on certain lines, etc.

I try my best to keep any off topic comments connected with the r179's, but some people go very deep off topic.

The next 3 months will give us an idea on how the r179's can be used to alleviate some of the issues that are currently affecting the B division. Hopefully, the MTA makes the right move.

13 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

We have been mentioning CBTC in relation to car assignments and possible fleet swap, which directly involves the r179's, since 8th Avenue CBTC will be compatible with the r179's plus other NTT's, and I think the MTA should consider making the r179's compatible with other CBTC's along the B division to allow flexibility.

The CBTC systems on every line from Culver and Queens Blvd onward will be designed to be inter-operable with CBTC systems on other lines (with the exception of Canarsie and Flushing, since their CBTC systems were not necessarily designed to be inter-operable.) This means that those R160s receiving CBTC equipment as part of Queens Blvd or later projects, the R179s and the R211s will be able to run on any CBTC system on the B-Division except Canarsie (and Flushing). Siemens (which installed the CBTC system on the (L) and is providing the equipment for the R179s) and Thales (which installed the CBTC system on the (7) and is providing the equipment for the R211s) collaborated on the Culver Line CBTC test track and are collaborating on Queens Blvd CBTC to ensure that their two systems are inter-operable.

I am no expert in the technical aspects of this, so just asking - as Siemens installed the CBTC system on Canarsie, and is also fabricating the equipment for the R179s, would anybody happen to know if the R179s will be compatible with Siemens' older system? 

I don't think I've seen 3252 mentioned in this thread, but it looks like somebody on reddit spotted it on its way down to the city yesterday: https://www.reddit.com/r/nycrail/comments/bju07h/new_subway_car_coming_down_i87/

49 minutes ago, Mysterious2train said:

I don't think I've seen 3252 mentioned in this thread, but it looks like somebody on reddit spotted it on its way down to the city yesterday: https://www.reddit.com/r/nycrail/comments/bju07h/new_subway_car_coming_down_i87/

That link doesn’t work. I copied and pasted it a few times.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

It seems the MTA is still figuring out how to make more money. Lol!!!

Enjoy the clip!!

The second clip (posted by DJ Hammers) is in reference to a comment I made about the r68's running on the Q. It's only used during rush hour.

Let's see what happens a few years from now. In the meantime, all eyes are still on the A line as we await for more 10 car r179's.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

22 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I like those I heart NY wraps...

Very nice look and they're larger than the last ad wraps (which were only below the exterior speaker) so they attract your attention. 

I call them half cuomos.

17 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I like those I heart NY wraps...

Very nice look and they're larger than the last ad wraps (which were only below the exterior speaker) so they attract your attention. 

Those ads are excellent. Now lets have them on the buses too. Manhattan Division definitely, Bronx Division also definite. 

The ad it’s self is definitely an eye catcher and that these are not full wraps. The (MTA) should experiment having full wraps on the other lines like the 42nd Street Shuttle (S)