R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/13/2019 at 4:57 PM, junjun441 said:

If anyone is interested, I saw a 10-Car R179 Lefferts BLVD bound (A) train leaving 125th street at 4:53 PM. Next stop is 59th street. It’s Probably 3010-3019 set.

Now that you mention it, I was able to ride this set on Monday between Euclid and West 4th

I noticed the 179s have similar quirks as the Bombardier 142s, on the 179s at times you can hear the trucks bumpin' and knockin' down below just like on the Bomb 142s. Its mainly noticeable in underwater tubes. 

Also when it comes to ride quality, the Bombardier NTT truck >>>>>>>>>> The Kawasaki NTT truck.

I think that I saw some 207th st yard R179 showing up in Jamaica line at noon. I saw one with #32xx and showing "C last stop" stopping at middle track between crescent st and cypress hill. And there was another one with #316x stopping at middle track just west of Broadway junction. 

In the mean time, it seems that there are more R160 in service on  (J) this week.

Edited by whz1995

On 5/16/2019 at 10:30 PM, trainfan22 said:

I noticed the 179s have similar quirks as the Bombardier 142s, on the 179s at times you can hear the trucks bumpin' and knockin' down below just like on the Bomb 142s. Its mainly noticeable in underwater tubes. 

Also when it comes to ride quality, the Bombardier NTT truck >>>>>>>>>> The Kawasaki NTT truck.

Nothing beats the Chevron trucks, especially for the tight curves of NYCT.  I'm curious why Kawasaki didn't go with that design because they did for both the PA5 and WMATA 7Ks.

On 5/17/2019 at 3:22 PM, whz1995 said:

I think that I saw some 207th st yard R179 showing up in Jamaica line at noon. I saw one with #32xx and showing "C last stop" stopping at middle track between crescent st and cypress hill. And there was another one with #316x stopping at middle track just west of Broadway junction. 

In the mean time, it seems that there are more R160 in service on  (J) this week.

Is this related to the welding issues mentioned in a previous post??

If that is the case, then I guess that the MTA is gradually inspecting/repairing the r179's and perhaps that's the reason why the r179's are being shuffled between 207 and ENY.

3 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Is this related to the welding issues mentioned in a previous post??

If that is the case, then I guess that the MTA is gradually inspecting/repairing the r179's and perhaps that's the reason why the r179's are being shuffled between 207 and ENY.

I am not sure about the welding issues but I just wrote what I observe. On my trip from Crescent st to Canal st, I took the R160 (J) and saw 4 R160 (J) and 1 R179 (J) running on opposite direction. 

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

There's always been more R160's/143's in service than the R179's on the J. I always get an R160 now. But with ENY using sets from the (C) is probably because of the welding issues.

Not really, The Bulletin states that there were 24 R32, 16 R42, 32 R160, 80 R179 were used on PM rush hour service on Nov 2018. And we know all R32 left ENY and 16 R42 are still in service now. So there are max 56(7 trains) R160 in service unless they decide to replace some R179 with R160.

btw, I haven't seen R143 on (J) for a while. But they do use those CBTC-equipped R160 on (J). I always get an R179 before and start to get R160 last week.

10 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

On the (J)(Z) of May 16, 2019:  11 R-160, 8 R-179, 2 R-42, Zero R-143.

No sign of 3070-3073 in service as of same date. 

No R-46's on (C) for the entire week!

They did have one yesterday, from what I saw. The rest was mainly 32s and about 8/10 R179 trains. 

Edited by Calvin

9 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

On the (J)(Z) of May 16, 2019:  11 R-160, 8 R-179, 2 R-42, Zero R-143.

No sign of 3070-3073 in service as of same date. 

No R-46's on (C) for the entire week!

Not sure if 3070-3073 was running specifically back on Thursday on 16th, but it has been seen in service this week:

12 hours ago, Mysterious2train said:

Not sure if 3070-3073 was running specifically back on Thursday on 16th, but it has been seen in service this week:

Very Nice!  Thank you.

The body advertising explains the slight delay in entering service and the lack of internal car cards would demonstrate that it was just a few hours old, revenue service-wise.  The inside carding & changeout would usually be applied at Jamaica Center while laying over, but not during the rush hour.  Evidently 3070-73 hadn't yet sat still long enough to receive the package advertising.  If its a "theme" car(s) that gets done at East New York.  Apparently the set hadn't been sitting there long enough, either.  By next week it should be wandering the Jamaica Line festooned to the hilt, just like all the others.

Congratulations 3070-3073 and best of luck in your (long?) career to come at MTA NYCT.

Again, nice catch and this should close out the R-179 contract in relation to the (J)(Z)

These trains will destroy your ears when they dump. Be sure to cover your ears when they pull into terminals!! I feel terrible every time I dump these trains with people on the platforms, especially children. I do try and warn people though but all I get are confused looks. I really wished the MTA would post warning signs at terminal stations to let people know about the danger of 179s dumping. They're really f**king loud.

I heard that the MTA isn't allowed to modify these cars until the Bombardier manufacturer's warranty expires or something like that. I think the 160s were also really loud until the MTA retrofitted them with mufflers.

Edited by nipaaaa

5 hours ago, nipaaaa said:

These trains will destroy your ears when they dump. Be sure to cover your ears when they pull into terminals!! I feel terrible every time I dump these trains with people on the platforms, especially children. I do try and warn people though but all I get are confused looks. I really wished the MTA would post warning signs at terminal stations to let people know about the danger of 179s dumping. They're really f**king loud.

I heard that the MTA isn't allowed to modify these cars until the Bombardier manufacturer's warranty expires or something like that. I think the 160s were also really loud until the MTA retrofitted them with mufflers.

Dumping is loud. Who knew?

6 hours ago, nipaaaa said:

I learned that the hard way waiting at Parsons Blvd when one showed up on the (J)

Edited by S78 via Hylan

8 hours ago, nipaaaa said:

I know, I've heard those trains explode when they terminate at Jamaica Center. Beware of nuke detonating testing at (A), (C), and (J)/(Z) terminals.