R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, m2fwannabe said:

Good show!

We have an observation of R-46's 5846-5853, in order, on an (F) train today.  Looks like it went over to Jamaica as 3238-47 arrived.

Now we know what the R179's are pushing out. And it makes logical sense. The R46/160 swap (CI-Jamaica) is put on hold until further notice. (Might not happen at all with the R211's coming in cbtc ready).

Makes no sense to push out the R32's where they can push out R46's instead which is a good thing.

7 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Now we know what the R179's are pushing out. And it makes logical sense. The R46/160 swap (CI-Jamaica) is put on hold until further notice. (Might not happen at all with the R211's coming in cbtc ready).

Makes no sense to push out the R32's where they can push out R46's instead which is a good thing.

Weren’t YOU the one ranting and raving and swearing that CI was getting R46’s and the (B) and (G) we’re getting R32’s... now you’re going along with what Transit had been planned since The first 8-car sets of R179’s we’re coming in. 

On 5/21/2019 at 10:40 AM, VIP said:
On 5/21/2019 at 2:32 AM, m2fwannabe said:

Apparently temporary.  3070-73 and another link came down with semi-serious deficiencies so could be absent for a bit. 

Incorrect. 

3070-3073 needs (or needed?) a door system modification.  Apparently it was delivered with an earlier-state configuration (prone to failure) that had already been rectified during later production with the latter-day 4-car sets.  3110-13 had (has?) some external body damage that required shop time.  This employee-caused damage (in its various forms) has been endemic on the R-179's and is a source of contention "due to poor design."  These are ongoing evolutions.

3 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

3070-3073 needs (or needed?) a door system modification.  Apparently it was delivered with an earlier-state configuration (prone to failure) that had already been rectified during later production with the latter-day 4-car sets.  3110-13 had (has?) some external body damage that required shop time.  This employee-caused damage (in its various forms) has been endemic on the R-179's and is a source of contention "due to poor design."  These are ongoing evolutions.

That’s moderately accurate. However 3070-3073 has been in active passenger service on the (J) / (Z) (from the time you wrote that post.)

On 5/21/2019 at 2:32 AM, m2fwannabe said:
On 5/17/2019 at 10:09 PM, Coney Island Av said:

3190-3193 and 3206-3209 are apparently now on the (J)(Z)

Apparently temporary.  3070-73 and another link came down with semi-serious deficiencies so could be absent for a bit.

Breaking News!  All 8 went back to 207 Street and (C) last evening (May 23).

No known reason but I suspect it may have been maintenance-related, perhaps a warranty issue.

3 hours ago, VIP said:

Weren’t YOU the one ranting and raving and swearing that CI was getting R46’s and the (B) and (G) we’re getting R32’s... now you’re going along with what Transit had been planned since The first 8-car sets of R179’s we’re coming in. 

The R46/160 swap was planned

It's been put on hold, this was told to me by a reliable source. Plus with the R211's coming in with cbtc installed, it would probably never happen anyway.

If the (L) train shutdown had went as originally planned, you would be seeing some R32's on the (G) because it would have been 8 cars.

Now that didn't happen and MTA said the (G) is staying the way it is basically killed any chances of R32's going to Coney.

So don't be coming at me when others including the biggest reliable source had said the same thing.

Plus I did say that the R46's were getting pushed out.

You sat there and told me nothing is leaving, well 6 sets of R46's going back to jamaica.

Edited by R32 3838

20 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The R46/160 swap was planned

It's been put on hold, this was told to me by a reliable source. Plus with the R211's coming in with cbtc installed, it would probably never happen anyway.

If the (L) train shutdown had went as originally planned, you would be seeing some R32's on the (G) because it would have been 8 cars.

Now that didn't happen and MTA said the (G) is staying the way it is basically killed any chances of R32's going to Coney.

So don't be coming at me when others including the biggest reliable source had said the same thing.

Plus I did say that the R46's were getting pushed out.

You sat there and told me nothing is leaving, well 6 sets of R46's going back to jamaica.

Are they not getting R179’s at 207th or pitkin respectively ? I never said “nothing’s leaving” or insisted on unnecessary car equipment transfers. 

On 5/24/2019 at 11:49 AM, VIP said:

Are they not getting R179’s at 207th or pitkin respectively ? I never said “nothing’s leaving” or insisted on unnecessary car equipment transfers. 

This is why I try to refrain from making idea about where equipment will go, and if I do, at least give multiple options of where equipment will go, as what might make the most sense in terms of benefits/future plans may not be what the MTA will do AT ALL. Also, when you make an idea known to everyone, with or without reliable sources, once you have a little support, the few obsessive fans that read the forums will jump off 1 WTC with it and shout it from the rooftops. Making plans for where car equipment will go isn't a bad thing, as it promotes discussion. However, a healthy bit of skepticism needs to be kept until such ideas are acted upon, and that what some fans fail to do.

----

With the R179s coming in for the (A), would it be possible that the same or lower number of R46s would move to Jamaica or is it too soon to tell?

Edited by Railfan 007

10 minutes ago, Railfan 007 said:

----

With the R179s coming in for the (A), would it be possible that the same or lower number of R46s would move to Jamaica or is it too soon to tell?

Lower units starting from 5846 are returning to Jamaica. Possibly all the 5800s that are at Pitkin.  (59xx-62xx remains at Pitkin.)

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

With more R179s coming to the (A) moving some of the R46s back to Jamaica Yard, I wonder if that R68A on the (A) will be cut with the amount of trains they'll have along the Express?

Most likely yes. That r68 is borrowed from the B.

Something to keep in mind is that the A will most likely keep most of the r46's. The A only has a couple of r32's, so it's not a surprise that the A loses some r46's since the A is getting all 13 10 car r179's. After all r179's are in service, the A fleet will consist of all 10 car r179's and r46's, although a few r32's might still pop occasionally on the A, but the C will most likely keep the r32's as well as the 8 car r179's until the r211's.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Most likely yes. That r68 is borrowed from the B.

Something to keep in mind is that the A will most likely keep most of the r46's. The A only has a couple of r32's, so it's not a surprise that the A loses some r46's since the A is getting all 13 10 car r179's. After all r179's are in service, the A fleet will consist of all 10 car r179's and r46's, although a few r32's might still pop occasionally on the A, but the C will most likely keep the r32's as well as the 8 car r179's until the r211's.

The R32's are permanently assigned to the (A) and (C) its been said that only six R46's will go to jamaica while the rest stays.

Basically the 10 car unit R179's are displacing six and a half sets of trains while the remaining six would be for fleet expansion.

The (A) will have 6 R32's assigned to it permanently while the R179's and R46's dominate the (A).

The (C) will have 10-11 R179's with 7-8 R32's 

On 5/23/2019 at 11:42 PM, R32 3838 said:

Same what i think. Might not happened at all the Coney Island and Jamaica R46 and R160 swap.