R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

Do the R46s even still run on the (C) at this point? They've essentially stopped running on the latter from what i've seen...

(apologies if i sound dumb, haven't really been keeping up to date with this thread)

As recently as early-mid June, yes they've popped up. Though not to a high degree (many days I've seen had none).

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

2 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Do the R46s even still run on the (C) at this point? They've essentially stopped running on the latter from what i've seen...

(apologies if i sound dumb, haven't really been keeping up to date with this thread)

Nope, the C has been running 8 car r179's and r32's.

16 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Nope, the C has been running 8 car r179's and r32's.

There’s been too many incidents with the (C) having R46’s along with R32, and R179’s so the superintendent prefers to keep the 46’s off the (C) 

8 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

3250 still has Charlie's PSA automated announcements, to my surprise..

I'm loving these R179 (A) trains, so cool to see NTT on the (A) !!!!

They all should have Charlie's announcements. The new announcements sound terrible.

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

The what?

That stop octagon that's by the sticker saying riding cars is prohibited (the ones the 160, 142, 32 etc) 

*Located by the storm doors, if that's what you call it

Edited by Calvin

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:17 PM, ttcsubwayfan said:

What sorts of incidents might this be?

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, VIP said:

There’s been too many incidents with the (C) having R46’s along with R32, and R179’s so the superintendent prefers to keep the 46’s off the (C) 

Because it takes longer time wise to relay and R46 vs. an R32/R179 at both Euclid and 168.  Although at 168 there is the benefit of a benchwall for most or all of the walk for the t/o. Euclid relay does not.  Therefore in many instances 2 t/o's are needed to relay an R46.  This could mean overtime, especially if the C has a lot of R46's that day.  Overtime eats into the superintendent's budget.  The less overtime, the better the superintendent looks to "The General".

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

Whats confusing about it...Except that the R46 uses the whole length of the platform...

People should have a reasonable expectation of where to stand on the platform for a train. Sprinting for trains is inconvenient and dangerous.

4 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Because it takes longer time wise to relay and R46 vs. an R32/R179 at both Euclid and 168.  Although at 168 there is the benefit of a benchwall for most or all of the walk for the t/o. Euclid relay does not.  Therefore in many instances 2 t/o's are needed to relay an R46.  This could mean overtime, especially if the C has a lot of R46's that day.  Overtime eats into the superintendent's budget.  The less overtime, the better the superintendent looks to "The General".

I mean, really speaking all relays should be double ended...but if they’re not going to budget basic competence items like that, the 60’ cars are a lot better. 

2 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Whats confusing about it...Except that the R46 uses the whole length of the platform...

Right the difference is between running both long trains and shorter trains on the same line, platform positions and to know where to board trains at the stations. Shorter trains you have to run more to catch it. Full length trains you don't have to run much to catch it. (A)(B)(D)(E)(F)(N)(Q)(R)(W) lines all run Full Length Trains. Normally (C)(J)(L)(M)(Z) lines run 8 cars trains with the same length. (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6) lines all run 10 car trains with the same full length. (7) all trains run with 11 cars. (G) normally all trains run 4 car trains. (C) is the only one running both Short and Long trains on the same line. Which causes some confusion with us subway riders. All subway train lines such be uniformed one subway line like (C) should run same length trains.

1 minute ago, trainfan22 said:

Just seen a 10 car set running NIS though Utica Ave S/B just now.. I take it this train had an mechanical problem and had to be removed from service? It had an C/R on board so I doubt it was a yard move and it's the middle of rush hour lol

The (A) right behind it was an 179 and ppl were packed inside like sardines, I passed it up.